The Vorpal Tide (Dev. Stage: Resurecting)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Qes

Post by Qes » October 7th, 2007, 6:16 pm

thespaceinvader wrote:Sweet =D

I might get started on them, i might continue with animations. I'll see where the mood takes me.

And hi-jinx is fine, but i wanna keep moving while i have the time (i'm on my weekend today and tomorrow, and have time to work), and if i'm waiting for feedback, i'm not moving.

Sorry to rush you =P
ANYTHING you need let me know. Its rare for artists to be waiting for the code-monkey/developer so by all means impose away.

-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader » October 7th, 2007, 6:21 pm

Lol, it's fairly typical of me to latch onto a project i like and run with it extremely fast. Now that you've approved the ideas for the static line, i'll probably get on with those. Also, could you check out the Omega slicer colours i poste din the Workshop? I'm very pleased with how the wings came out, and i'd like to keep them (though they could always get bigger for some of the animations) but the rest is fairly mutable, certainly in terms of colour, though greyish might be awkward.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.

Qes

Post by Qes » October 7th, 2007, 6:32 pm

thespaceinvader wrote:Lol, it's fairly typical of me to latch onto a project i like and run with it extremely fast. Now that you've approved the ideas for the static line, i'll probably get on with those. Also, could you check out the Omega slicer colours i poste din the Workshop? I'm very pleased with how the wings came out, and i'd like to keep them (though they could always get bigger for some of the animations) but the rest is fairly mutable, certainly in terms of colour, though greyish might be awkward.
Sure thing: and I wont publish until YOURE comfortable with the art, even in preliminary findings.
-Qes
Yes I use windows.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader » October 7th, 2007, 6:35 pm

Cool cool. I'll let you know what's finalised as it's finalised. I posted a zip of finalised base frames somewhere, with TC variants for the heads. I'll PM< it to you if that's easier.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.

Qes

Post by Qes » October 7th, 2007, 6:42 pm

thespaceinvader wrote:Cool cool. I'll let you know what's finalised as it's finalised. I posted a zip of finalised base frames somewhere, with TC variants for the heads. I'll PM< it to you if that's easier.
HOwever you like, I'm pretty flexible.
-Qes
Yes I use windows.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader » October 7th, 2007, 8:12 pm

I'll get it sorted and drop you a PM then.

Hmm, i wonder if there's some way to use the non-TC'd variants for any campaigns which they may feature in (assuming that they would never be fielded against each other...). IMHO they do look better, and more importantly, more in keeping with (my idea of) how they are from the fluff, without TC, but clearly it's necessary if possible for multiplayer.

Caeb

Post by Caeb » October 8th, 2007, 2:51 am

the Chaos... if it's not too much trouble, how about 10 different minor modifications of a base sprite depending on which abilities were gained, like how a different sprite is used for male and female units... otherwise, sphere of death will suffice...

Noble and Bionic are possibly overpowered and overpowered, respectively, and I don't expect them to make the final cut, so just throw together whatever...

with Shadow's ability as an aura, I can see players inching their units along next to Shadow at night ever so slowly... as an Undead-hunter, make it look like the Batman of Slicers, but with less moral righteousness... 8)

Qes

Post by Qes » October 8th, 2007, 2:03 pm

Caeb wrote:the Chaos... if it's not too much trouble, how about 10 different minor modifications of a base sprite depending on which abilities were gained, like how a different sprite is used for male and female units... otherwise, sphere of death will suffice...

Noble and Bionic are possibly overpowered and overpowered, respectively, and I don't expect them to make the final cut, so just throw together whatever...

with Shadow's ability as an aura, I can see players inching their units along next to Shadow at night ever so slowly... as an Undead-hunter, make it look like the Batman of Slicers, but with less moral righteousness... 8)
Static line units do not share or receive shared abilities. They're a whole other race called "static-slicers"

They are, for all intents and purposes, just "units". They dont recieve bonuses from the dynamic line, and they dont confir any boni at all. So they are only balanceable within themeselves. Not as a part of a whole.

(OR at least, more so than the dynamic line)

They still need sexy AMLA-ing. And I'll get to that, just as soon as I can envision how and what they should get.

-Qes
Yes I use windows.

Caeb

Post by Caeb » October 8th, 2007, 9:25 pm

oops, I was still reading the descriptions from the first page that said shared buffs and auras... yeah, Bionic seems ok now, and Noble seems... useless, since lvl 0 Slicers cost half as much, actually do something, and have no upkeep anyway... :roll:

Qes

Post by Qes » October 12th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Caeb wrote:oops, I was still reading the descriptions from the first page that said shared buffs and auras... yeah, Bionic seems ok now, and Noble seems... useless, since lvl 0 Slicers cost half as much, actually do something, and have no upkeep anyway... :roll:
The benefit of Noble slicers will be two fold.

A) They'll do significantly more damage, because they're level 1. This is primarily felt in the fact that as they get damaged they dont LOSE damaging potential (for a lack of a swarm attack). So effectively they're a beefier level 1.

B) Is that they'll have a sexy AMLA, that will make them nicer if/as they level. However I dont yet know what that sexy AMLA should be. If weeksy has any ideas, im open to hearing them.

Truly im open to hearing anyone's ideas on what the static line should get for AMLA's - the Chaos Slicer might get "stone" as a weapon special - turning things into stone, which is immensely powerful. However the rest of the unit is unpredictable - so that level of power + leveling seems acceptable.

Each of the other static need an AMLA worthy of 20 gold and lack of increased levels. Suggestions and ideas are very very welcome.
-Qes
Yes I use windows.

Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn » October 12th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Turning units to stone in MP would be extremely overpowering as you could theoretically block off sections with stone units. Overwhelmed? Simply put your leader in a corner and stone the 3 access points thus making it a stalemate. Unless, of course, the "stone" attack is like a more powerful slow and only affects the next turn.

Qes

Post by Qes » October 13th, 2007, 3:09 pm

Aethaeryn wrote:Turning units to stone in MP would be extremely overpowering as you could theoretically block off sections with stone units. Overwhelmed? Simply put your leader in a corner and stone the 3 access points thus making it a stalemate. Unless, of course, the "stone" attack is like a more powerful slow and only affects the next turn.
You have to understand "stone" as an ability will only be accesable via AMLA.

And its only going on the slicer thats incredibly chaotic and nigh impossible to pretdict which version it will come out as. Also - experience is not the strong suit of the vorpal tide, it'll take 80 xp to level. That means the old chaos slicer will have to survive 80 exp worth of things trying to get it before it gets "stone."

And even then you'd only have "one" of them. And it's still possible to kill it.
-Qes
Yes I use windows.

Caeb

Post by Caeb » October 13th, 2007, 6:32 pm

now that I think about it, steep experience rates are needed to keep the faction from becoming too stale at the higher levels, as diversity halves with each level, although the static line helps with this problem as well...

essentially, the players would rarely be able to get an Omega in a normal MP game, although if one does show up, it should be a deciding factor that can make up for significant economic and military disadvantage... I think campaign versions of the Omega should thus be weakened, since many more units are liable to level that far...

the significance of the static line is in not only its consistency, but also in the specific characteristics that allow the players to be creative in how they want to fight... I doubt there are going to be many instances in MP in which a static Slicer gets the 7 kills needed for an AMLA, so sprucing those up is more of a campaign gimmick...

focus should thus be placed on making the base unit contribute to the adaptability of the faction... since there are only four units to work with, their characteristics should not be too extravagant or obscure in usage, but rather should reflect weaknesses in the dynamic line that need to be covered... (no reason to include everything just for the sake of including everything if you want this faction to be taken seriously...)

I suppose we can theorize all day about what said weaknesses are, but I'm sure these things will start standing out once playtesting begins...

Qes

Re: "The Vorpal Tide"(Dev. Stage: Resurrecting)

Post by Qes » May 17th, 2008, 4:46 am

Walking Corpse of Thread: I might ressurect this faction/era. It's still an interesting idea.

-Qes
Yes I use windows.

Caeb

Re: The Vorpal Tide (Dev. Stage: Resurecting)

Post by Caeb » May 19th, 2008, 6:46 pm

hey, I've been waiting half a year for an alpha release... this had better be a good one... 8)