The Qesicans (Development Stage: Art/Submission to the EE)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Qes

The Qesicans (Development Stage: Art/Submission to the EE)

Post by Qes »

The Qesicans!

::Playstyle::
Quick to adapt and change to needs. Low experience costs, with smaller HP leveling rewards and more fragile units overall.

Each unit designed to suit specific roles and advance into more general roles.

Sacrifice durability for adaptability (mostly.)

Recruitable units = 6
Standard costs.

Breif Overview: (under construction)

::Development Process Key::

Theorectical --> Encoding --> Art Creation/ Animation & Coding --> Debugging/Balancing --> Published/Playtesting --> Playable --> Complete

::The Story and Organization of the Qesicans (in brief)::
Qesicans

Enslaved for generations, the peoples of the Julgave valley grew solemn and hardy. They served as laborers, scholars, warriors, and perfunctory government workers, but always under the heel of their masters. In the year of the First Year of the Horse, by their calender, a young Slave led a revolt of the Qesicans against their enslavement. His name was Qes, a scholar by training, but through sale forced into military service. In his revolt, all of the Julgave valley went to war in flame and blood.

After winning a decisive battle holding off any future incursions, Qes decided his people should leave their ancestral home and find their way to a new homeland with a new life. They set sail across the wide sea, finding an unoccupied span of land south of the land that would later come to be known as Wesnoth.

There Qes set up a society that stressed the importance of three things for a vibrant and free people to be able to survive in the world. Those things were freedom of choice, education and training of skill, and finally sacrifice of one for the many. These teachings, taught in the order given and order of importance were the foundation of all that was to follow.

A fluid caste system was established. From birth, a child was reared both by the mother and a collection of other mothers from her caste. At the age of 5, the child began learning in the intense "Jah-Broh-Dai" system. "Jah" or "Mind" was the beginnings of training. The children are taught the basics of counting, reading and writing. The difficulty of such tasks was to double every year, so that by the 10th year of their life, they would be able to speak on level terms with most adults. At the Age of 10, The children would then be taught the "Broh" or "body" portion of their education. This involved vigorous training in athletics, military discipline and cunning, and survival skills. During this time, they are constantly tested on their abilities to survive harsh conditions AND their recollections of Jah knowledge. They were expected to learn WHILE surviving. Finally, at the 15th year of their life, they began "Dai" or "Spirit" training. They learned about the wider world and nature of perceptions. Because of earlier training in logic and bodily experience, they were expected to perceive and cultivate their understandings of what lay beyond perception and experience. This spiritual training still demanded highly of them in mental and physical exertion, but prudence, foresight, and wisdom were prized highest of all.

At the age of 20 the child undergoes the Solista. This "trial" of rights enters the child into adulthood. Most other societies recognized children as adults much sooner, but until the mastery of "Dai" an individual was no adult in Qesican society. During this trial, members of each caste would tempt, cajole, threaten, and test the child. At the end of the Solista, the child would chose a Caste and either be accepted or rejected based on the results of the Solista. If accepted, they began their life as an apprentice of the caste, if rejected, they would be given the option to retake the Solista - but on one condition. If they failed, they would be exiled. If they chose not to retake the Solista, they could remain part of Qesican society as a "Freedman". Freedmen could pursue whatever desires they wished, however they were never allowed any real power or prestige. Many freedmen serve in the Qesican military, finding that advancement in freedmen ranks afforded at least minimal respect from Qesicans. Most others became merchants, and are the core of Qesican mercantile society.

The Qesicans are broken down into three Castes as established by Qes in the early years of Exile. The number 3 is sacred to the Qesicans, for Qes was the third of brothers in his family, fought with three brigades against the 10 of the Slave masters on the third day of the third month of the rebellion. "In all things there are three," Qes had said, "and in three, there is one."

With Qes' philosophy on adaptability, education and rigorous training, each caste was expected to provide its own contingent to the protection of Qesican society. Each caste therefore has a military function and no "military" caste was formed. Each caste instead is dedicated to the expansion of knowledge, understanding and protection of a specific human trait governed by Qesican philosophy.

Jahnaka is the caste of the mind. These scholars and thinkers are the inventors and developers or progression in the society. Their main tasks are to expand Qesican knowledge and technical knowhow to afford never being behind in craftsmanship or skill against any potential threat or rival. Their inscription upon all houses of Jahnaka is "The Mind Free's."

Brohdokai is the caste of the body. Dedicated to the expansion of resources for Qesican society, the members of this caste are masters of production and earthworks. They also hold high esteam in Qesican society for being fantastic rangers and scouts. None feel kinship with animals, the earth, or physical exertion like the Brohdokai. Their inscription upon all houses of Brohdokai is "Sweat is sweet when earned."

Finally, the Daikan is the caste of the spirit. Dedicated to the natural cycles and philosophies of life, these poets, philosophers, orators and writers dedicate themselves to the betterment of individual Qesicans. They care for the dead and dying, as well as bring comfort to those in need. They often become priests, healers or even warrior poets as is needed. Of the castes, the Daikan are most adaptive to the changing needs of Qesican society. As such they often make the most adaptive warriors and fighters as well. Their inscription reads simply, "Unlimited uncertainty, unlimited potential."

The heart of Qesican society is Qesidus. Having his name plastered everywhere would most likely not have pleased Qes, but in the long decades after winning their freedom, and after his death, many have come to revere him as a prophet-saint. His words were written down, some even into law, and have left their mark permanently upon his people. The shining city of Qesidus serves as an example to all the world of what his people believed Qes to have wanted from humanity. Each caste rules itself, with a council ruling over the society as a whole. The council is given its form by convening members from all 3 castes every third year. Three from the Jahnaka, Three from the Brohokai, and Three from the Daikan. The three from the Daikan are tasked to call the council to session every three years, and to maintain order in the council.

When the Qesicans go to war, they do so only after the deliberation of the council - who are often convened in emergencies for such cases. If the council goes to war, 3 leaders are chosen from among the group: The Master of Arms, The Master of Marshals, and The Master of Words.

Each has a task that his or her caste is responsible for, yet, under Qesican law, each Master must know the job of the others, and their plans - so that if one were to fall, all would not be to waste.

The Master of Arms is in charge of supply, logistics, training and armament. The Master of Words is in charge of diplomacy, alligences and espionage. Finally, the Master of Marshals is in command of the armies themselves, his is the task of organizing, mobilizing and utilizing the armed forces of Qesica.

80 years after the death of Qes, his ideals live on in the prosperous civilization of Qesica. Born a slave later to birth a nation, his words have had more impact on more people than the slave masters ever had.

Prophets and soothsayers say that one day Qes will return, to bring the castes back to their homeland, and rid the world of all slavery everywhere. Other's have claimed this prophecy is meant as a guide for the council - an insistence to return home and reforge a trans-sea empire in Qes' name. It is only the Daiso Monks who remain quiet about the "Expedition" as it is being called. Their's is a secret knowledge and wisdom, and always they advice patience and perseverance, regardless of any politics of the day.

The nearby nations have engaged in steady trade and commerce with Qesica and more specifically Qesidus. Slowly the culture of the Qesicans was becoming known outside of their own badlands and boarders. Wesnoth as well as other nearby kingdoms look upon the Qesicans with little regard, save for the occasional military skirmish or joint venture.

It was only recently that other nations began to understand the scope of Qesican power and ambition (or rather paranoia) when Qesican spies were captured attempting to steal ancient tombs from various libraries. Now wary, other nations look upon Qesican boarders with suspicion and new found concern toward the enigmatic neighbors to the south.

Little did they know, their worries were more than well-founded...

The files available for viewing (but not necessarily playing) follow. Anyone who can take a moment to view any of the non-violet files and give me feedback on how what or if something needs changing, I'll always be appreciative.

Thanks,

-Qes
Attachments
unit_tree_733.png
unit_tree_733.png (119.54 KiB) Viewed 8602 times
Last edited by Qes on October 6th, 2007, 1:46 pm, edited 81 times in total.
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
Qes

This is now the Workbench Post

Post by Qes »

Changelog:
(cumulative)

Wishlist:
-Fix ZOC bug for the Freedman
-Add Art, Animations, and Sound to units
-Working "shieldwall" ability for the shieldsman line

Current Version:
v.54

-pbl now mentions dependancy on "Extended Era" (I think)
-monk line made "lawful"
-Trait "spiritual" removed
-Trait "psychic" added: Add's first strike to melee attacks: Pebblemancer only
-Added trait "loyal" to Monk possibilities
- Added: Shadow Walker, Spirit Walker, Dream Walker, Void Walker units
-Added "Daystalk" ability - grants invisibility during daytime
-Added "Invisibile" ability - grants invisibility at all times
-added "spirit sight" ability - grants 50% chance to hit

Last Version:
v.53B

-archalchemist now has AMLA tough 3
-image for addons changed to basic spearman

Previous Versions:
v.53.1

-fixed captialization linux problem (finally)
-changed directory for Qesicans Icon in add-ons server (less errors now?)

v.52D
-fixed capitalization linux problem (i think)

v.52C

-Each of the 5 caste units has 6 traits possible, freedmen have the standard 4

-changed "Equiped" Trait
now adds 10% resistances and a 3-2 blade melee attack
-added "stalwart" trait
increases HP by 30%, increases XP requirement to level 50%
-added "rugged" trait
lowers movement over sand, shallow water, swamp, snow, caves and mushrooms by 1
-added "quickdraw"
changes ranged special to "firststrike"

-Roundshields may get rugged and Stalwart
-Ballista may get equiped and quickdraw
-Scouts may get Stalwart and Equiped

-decreased Freedmen cost to 10
-increased constable physical resistances to 10%

-changed physical resistances of Roundshield to 20% each
-changed physical resistances of longshields to 30% each
-Changed physical resistances of greatshields to 40% each
-increased Roundshield HP to 45
-increased Longshield HP to 56
-increased Greatshield HP to 67
-reduced cost of roundshield to 15

-Raised cost of scout to 19
-Increased scouts HP to 35
-Increased straifes HP to 40
-increased Falankir's HP to 43
-increased Cavalier's HP to 50

-Monk can get Clairvoyant

v.52B
-removed "huntsman" trait
- increased monk cost to 20
- changed monk-line forest defense to 60%, sand,cave,snow,swamp and grassland defense to 50%, shallow water to 30%
- reduced roundshield cost to 16
-increased pebblemancer cost to 18
-increased pebblemancer melee damage by 1, ranged attacks by 1
-increased blademancer melee damage by 1, ranged attacks by 1
-increased gravimancer melee damage by 2, ranged attacks by 2
-increased battlemancer melee damage by 1, ranged attacks by 1
-changed warmancers damage to 10-2 melee, 2-10 ranged

v.52A
- Changed "equiped" to only additional melee attack
- Added "huntsman" = additional ranged attack

-Scouts can get huntsmen
-Roundshields can get equiped, huntsmen

Version (0.52)
-Changed AI recruitment pattern

- Increased Monk damage to 5-4
- Increased Staff Monk movement to 6
- Increased Blade monk damage to 9-4
- Increased Daiso Monk "empty hand" damage to 5-4
- Increased Master Monk Spirit hands damage to 10-4
- Increased Master Monk speed by 1

::Added traits Clairvoyant, Equiped, Focused, and Spiritual::
-Clairvoyant= +10% Defenses to lightfoot movetype
-Equiped= 2 new attacks, 4-3 melee, and 3-3 ranged
-Focused= +1 melee damage, +1 ranged attacks
-Spiritual= melee damage becomes arcane and damage +1

- Ballista can now also have Equiped and Clairvoyant
- Monk can now have Spiritual
- Scout can now have Equiped and Focused
- Pebblemancer can have Focused, Clairvoyant, and Spiritual

v.51

-Case sensetive file-relations bug fixed (thanks lu_zero)
-Fix Range bug for ballista
-Ballistaen mispelling - Precision
-Blademancer - dagger storm bug fixed - changed to ranged range
-remove "strong" ability from pebblemancers
-remove "strong" ability from scouts
-remove "strong" ability from ballista
-fixed halberd spelling in longshield and greatshield
-fix spelling in battlemancer "Rhymestone"

v.05 (Playtest1)

Unit Changes
Cavalier - 42hp, frenzy is attack-only, amla 3, frenzy =6-5, fient=9-3,bolas=4-3
Falankir - movement=7,pierceresist=100,hp=34,exp=58
Greatshield - amla 3, hp59,halbred1=12-2, halbred2= 9-3
Longshield - hp48,halbred1=8-2,halbred2=6-3
Roundshield - hp37, cost=17, longspear=7-2
Scout - hp27,movement=9,
Straife - hp34,move=10,AMLA-3,crossbow=9-3,bolas=6-2
Constable - AMLA-3,Javelin=7-2
Freedman - exp17,javelin1=3-1,javelin2=5-1
Alchemist - exp43,pot=7-5
Archalchemist - hp38,pyroblade=7-3,cryoblade=7-3,pyro/cryopots=9-5
Ballista - exp22, "Fixed unit damage- was coded incorrectly"
Ballistaen - hp32,AMLA-3,
Battlemancer - Rebucke -->slow,
Blademancer -
Gravimancer - AMLA-3, Storm loses "slow"
Pebblemancer - exp23
Warmancer - AMLA3, rebuke --> slow,
Journeyman - exp30
Daikan Monk - cost 18
Daiso Monk - "Empty Hand" = 4-4, Ki Words = 8-2
Staff Monk - hp38
Blade Monk - hp33
Master Monk- hp45, Spirit Hands= 8-4 Slows,Firststrike,Magical , Ki Words 8-3, AMLA-5

-Ballista now properly has ranged 13-2 attack instead of a melee 9-6
-Roundshield now only upgrades to longshield, not longshield and greatshield

Workbench - Deleted (wasnt updating it)
-Qes
Last edited by Qes on September 20th, 2007, 12:10 am, edited 21 times in total.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

One, you can create your own abilities or weapon specials, and the 'dread' weapon special might be better than slow in some cases.

Two, code some stuff and make some horrendous placeholder art, then people will be a whole lot more likely to help some. Coming with no art and no code, and asking to be let into the EE is just asking to be laughed at. Make your own faction, start to test it and people may help with art and/or coding. Then, if your faction is interesting and somewhat balanced, the EE might be a good place for it.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Qes

Post by Qes »

Weeksy wrote:One, you can create your own abilities or weapon specials, and the 'dread' weapon special might be better than slow in some cases.

Two, code some stuff and make some horrendous placeholder art, then people will be a whole lot more likely to help some. Coming with no art and no code, and asking to be let into the EE is just asking to be laughed at. Make your own faction, start to test it and people may help with art and/or coding. Then, if your faction is interesting and somewhat balanced, the EE might be a good place for it.
Well I'm not trying to get laughed at, certainly. Nor do I actually intend or "need" it to get into the EE. I am just horrible at coding and art. Not much I've to offer cept minor creative flare. However, I'd be willing to try coding (as much as my limited txt editing can) if I were to be able to read some easy tutorial or if there was a tool for such. I downloaded Campgen, in an attempt to do exactly what you said. The main problems I have are

A: I've no bloody clue how to get Campgen to do what I want, consistently. Secondly - it doesnt seem to let me make abstract eras or factions without assigning a "campaign/scenario" to it.

B: I have no idea how the animations really work. I've looked at the code, and trying to surmize how gif one and gif two are going to look next to each other is mind-stressing.

In truth - I was hoping some unused art was out there I could snag. I am willing to try and code this faction (again) I just hate repeatedly messing it up and getting error messages. (It frightens me when it looks like its trying to mess with the regular *non-backed up* game files.)

So - if there was some tutorial id read it. As it is, the search function on this site is horrendous. Trying to find information on the Aragwaith took no less than an hour of constant searching - in the end Google did a better job at finding it in the threads than did the search function.

As I ramble on here - I know I want to code this faction, it just seems very daunting because I've very limited skill - I wish there was some "how to" that did a step by step OR, a learn as you go tool.

If someone knows how to make campgen do what I want, please point me in the right direction/thread and I'll go a looking.

Thanks for comments,
-Qes
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

http://wiki.wesnoth.org is your friend. It has a repository of images, tutorials on how to code everything from factions to eras to campaigns, and quite a bit more. Using campgen isn't going to get you very far, try opening the .cfg files of other eras and units in wordpad/notepad/another text editor and doing a bit of learning by reading.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

i made the brohdokai longshield.

yup i know what you all must be thinking. "Syn_Err is the brave tumonker always helping out wesnothians without artistic initiative, will his seemingly infinite altruism never end?" and it wont. because whenever a lack of fitting unit sprites for a custom faction emerges, there will be Syn_Err offering his most humble images, always filling hundredpercentedly the expectations of the faction creator and causing no lack of connection to any plausible fantasy setting at all. rejoice!

chances are, i wont make more of them but now that i made the first one, how hard can the others be, eh? :P btw this one was made with an old Navitrolla painting in mind.
Qes

Post by Qes »

Syntax_Error wrote:i made the brohdokai longshield.

yup i know what you all must be thinking. "Syn_Err is the brave tumonker always helping out wesnothians without artistic initiative, will his seemingly infinite altruism never end?" and it wont. because whenever a lack of fitting unit sprites for a custom faction emerges, there will be Syn_Err offering his most humble images, always filling hundredpercentedly the expectations of the faction creator and causing no lack of connection to any plausible fantasy setting at all. rejoice!

chances are, i wont make more of them but now that i made the first one, how hard can the others be, eh? :P btw this one was made with an old Navitrolla painting in mind.
I had imagined the Qesicans as human - but that's a great sprite! I'm now wondering if the entire Qesican race isnt multi armed? That'd be very interesting. IN which case the monk's would look particularly fun.

I'm going to attempt to code a goodly portion of these (via the sad sad state of wordpad) and put them back up here.

-Qes

EDIT: Ugh. When I get to the attack portions, my head begins to spin. All these requests for graphics I know nothing about. Reading through the wiki - while more helpful than I was getting from online sources - there are still anomolies. I'm gonna take a break and come back to it with a fresh look later.
major_sephiroth

Post by major_sephiroth »

Have some art. There is the Freedman and the Roundshield. Not that SynErr's art isn't good or anything...
Attachments
Freedman.
Freedman.
freedman.png (2.44 KiB) Viewed 9044 times
Roundshield.
Roundshield.
roundshield.png (2.64 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
"Tell me what you cherish most, give me the pleasure of taking it away!" --Sephiroth FF7:AC
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well at this current state it's very very far from something that have a chance to go in the EE :
* for me, usually the graphics is a requirement to make a unit (and i sucks at graphics)
* i don't clearly see the gameplay concept of this faction and how it should work
* there is serious balance issues with a lot of units (there is especially plenty in you mage lines) :
- for me more than level+3 strikes makes the strong trait too strong
- lots of RIPLIB issues (loss of damage type, loss of strikes, loss of maximum damage for all upgrades)
- overpowered stats like for example 7-7 attack (level 3 class) on a level 2 unit sometimes even on both ranges (which would be even too much level 3), and that level 0 with stats that would rather fit level 2.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Uhm, did you also notice some of the HP-stats he suggested for these units? 28 HP for a lvl 3 unit? Kinda low if you ask me, combined with negative physical resistances - that just asks for some strong attack. A few of them may still be TOO strong, though.
The lvl-0-unit he suggested really is heavily overpowered, I agree in that.
With the thing about the strong trait, why not disable it for ALL units he suggested? That would solve the problem (and maybe ask for a different trait, special for this faction).
Qes

Post by Qes »

As I said in the beginning this faction is most certainly not balanced, not yet. I wrote it up trying to envision the faction as how they should play first, then from their numbers and abilities could be tweaked.

The theme was adaptability at a cost of HP growth. This is why they also have a lot of "slow" units to make up for the lack in hit points.

The cavalry I saw as skirmishing units that develop into heavier hit-and-run tactics units. The idea being that they would always threaten the soft spots of an enemies armies from behind and the sides.

The infantry are broken down into tanks (of which there really only is one), artillery (the balista line) and mobile infantry (the monk line)

Freemen are auxilleries meant to give the race at least 1 cheapish unit. The poison is a bit powered, but id prefer lowering attacks than removing it, since these freedmen are trying to earn their way through society.

I am having a horrendous time coding, but I will keep at it until I can get at least one unit (im working on the Brohdokai Roundsheild) up here for all to witness that I'm at least trying.

As I'm creating a race AND faction - its increasingly difficult to understand the relationships between the files. I need a "walktype" for my units which goes in a seperate file. Forgive me for my noobocity, but I shall endeavor to get these out as I can.

As for the Mages - I can see them being overpowered, but my goal was to give a unique flavor to mages, I'm more than willing to see their power drop if the ideas of both is maintained (also I was hoping to prevent the mages from being able to get the "Strong" ability, as it WOULD be broken.

-Qes
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Some rough gauge for making units attack stats :
1) A melee specialist would have a maximum melee damage of less than (strong trait included) :
- 15 damage at level 0 (more typically around 10-12)
- 30 damage at level 1 (more typically around 20-25)
- 40 damage at level 2 (more typically around 30-36)
- 55 damage at level 3 (more ltypically around 45-50)
- 70 damage at level 4 (more typically around 50-65)
The same values can apply to the ranged attack of a ranged specialist (dextrous trait included).
The upper values are really for the unit that are truly exceptionnal, thus only few unit reach those values (like some Drakes and the Elvish Marksman line).

2) Non specialist should have lower values. In particular a unit that is both strong at melee and range should have less damage than a melee or ranged specialist.

3) if the unit has poison you should treat is like it had 5 to 8 extra total damages (if has more strikes assumes a higher value than a unit with fewer strikes)

4) backstab also add some power to the unit, so here multiply the maximum damage by 1.5 if not 2 to check the values in 1)

5) charge add some power, but also make the unit more vulnerable to retaliation. Here i's say muliply the damage by 1.25 to 1.75 & check the value in 1)

6) slow and drain are powerful for defense. Unit with those psecials should probably have 2/3 of the damage the unit would have without those specials

7) magical also add some power so magical units make usually (but not always) a little less damage.

8) berserk is powerful. Usually a unit that is using a berserk attack should almost always loose versus a full HP melee unit, so don't give them too much of HP + damage.

9) don't give more than level +3 strikes to the unit if is can get strong or dextrous on this attack (through 7 strikes at level 3 is maybe ok), this would make those traits too strong.

9) RIPLIB (Reduction in power is Bad):
For all units that can level you should have at least one levelup that is stricty superior, which means for attacks :
- if you could attack at this range, you should not loose this possibility
- you should not lower the overall maximum damage, in the worst situation (if there is a change of damage type : vulnerability to the old damage type and good resistance to the new damage type).
Usually it's a lot easier if the attack of the levelup has the same damage type.
- you should not lower the number of strikes of the attack
- you should not lower the damage par blow of the attack (in the worst situation)
- you should not removes some specials (except if you replace it with an upgrade of the same damage type)
- berserk is also a negative special (because it has some impact on the unit survivability), if you add some it should probably be in a new attack of in a non RIPLIB-compliant unit.
Keep in mind that for your levelups, you need one RIPLIB-compliant unit, but the other can be non RIPLIB-conpliant.

It's usually a good start to see how the similar existing mainline unit works (see http://units.wesnoth.org)

Also it is always a good things to clearly define how your faction works in a gameplay point of view.
For example for mainline it could be something like :
- Drakes: powerful and vulnerable, hit and run strategy
- Loyalists: adaptable but slow, better at day
- Rebels : forest-likers, frail but good at defense

I hope this helps
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Qes

Post by Qes »

Noyga wrote:Some rough gauge for making units attack stats :
1) A melee specialist would have a maximum melee damage of less than (strong trait included) :
- 15 damage at level 0 (more typically around 10-12)
- 30 damage at level 1 (more typically around 20-25)
- 40 damage at level 2 (more typically around 30-36)
- 55 damage at level 3 (more ltypically around 45-50)
- 70 damage at level 4 (more typically around 50-65)
The same values can apply to the ranged attack of a ranged specialist (dextrous trait included).
The upper values are really for the unit that are truly exceptionnal, thus only few unit reach those values (like some Drakes and the Elvish Marksman line).

2) Non specialist should have lower values. In particular a unit that is both strong at melee and range should have less damage than a melee or ranged specialist.

3) if the unit has poison you should treat is like it had 5 to 8 extra total damages (if has more strikes assumes a higher value than a unit with fewer strikes)

4) backstab also add some power to the unit, so here multiply the maximum damage by 1.5 if not 2 to check the values in 1)

5) charge add some power, but also make the unit more vulnerable to retaliation. Here i's say muliply the damage by 1.25 to 1.75 & check the value in 1)

6) slow and drain are powerful for defense. Unit with those psecials should probably have 2/3 of the damage the unit would have without those specials

7) magical also add some power so magical units make usually (but not always) a little less damage.

8) berserk is powerful. Usually a unit that is using a berserk attack should almost always loose versus a full HP melee unit, so don't give them too much of HP + damage.

9) don't give more than level +3 strikes to the unit if is can get strong or dextrous on this attack (through 7 strikes at level 3 is maybe ok), this would make those traits too strong.

9) RIPLIB (Reduction in power is Bad):
For all units that can level you should have at least one levelup that is stricty superior, which means for attacks :
- if you could attack at this range, you should not loose this possibility
- you should not lower the overall maximum damage, in the worst situation (if there is a change of damage type : vulnerability to the old damage type and good resistance to the new damage type).
Usually it's a lot easier if the attack of the levelup has the same damage type.
- you should not lower the number of strikes of the attack
- you should not lower the damage par blow of the attack (in the worst situation)
- you should not removes some specials (except if you replace it with an upgrade of the same damage type)
- berserk is also a negative special (because it has some impact on the unit survivability), if you add some it should probably be in a new attack of in a non RIPLIB-compliant unit.
Keep in mind that for your levelups, you need one RIPLIB-compliant unit, but the other can be non RIPLIB-conpliant.

It's usually a good start to see how the similar existing mainline unit works (see http://units.wesnoth.org)

Also it is always a good things to clearly define how your faction works in a gameplay point of view.
For example for mainline it could be something like :
- Drakes: powerful and vulnerable, hit and run strategy
- Loyalists: adaptable but slow, better at day
- Rebels : forest-likers, frail but good at defense

I hope this helps

Thanks! I really appreciate you breaking it down for me. I have (despite appreances) looked all over the forums for something that you just gave me.

I had written up everything initially to get a "feel" for what I was trying to accomplish - now that I know how I want them to look i can definately meet the guidelines you set out.

I have a question though. Since i'd like to balance the faction as a whole - is it possible to break one or two of the standardized guidelines in order to suppliment a concept elsewhere?

For example. If a unit doesnt necessarily follow the "gets better at every level regardless rule" but makes up for it in being inordinately strong straight out - is that a fair balance?

Just wondering. (Coding is still causing headaches, but I'm determined)

Thanks,
-Qes
Qes

Brohdokai Scout

Post by Qes »

OK, so From here on out, my idea is to make sure that the community LIKES the idea of what im doing, then go through the hassles of understanding coding (and fight the deamons of sprites of which I cannot draw back into the infernal pits from whence they come)

This is the Overarching theme of playing the Qesicans

Adaptive and Tricky, survivalists that work as a team.

Sacrifice in HP growth over levlings in exchange for faster leveling and larger deviations - allowing for specialization on the fly. Also more fragile.

I've given the "overarching history" and "unit overview" above, but from here on out I'll take one unit at a time, explain what I see them as accomplishing in game - their fit into the over all faction strategy, and a unit info update.

I will also Update the first post to reflect the changes in the unit as they occur. In this - perhaps we can come to consensus on each unit individually (and with overall strategy) so that I inflict the least amount of annoyance upon the boards.

I will do my best to adhere to the above given suggestions.

Brohdokai Scout (few changes/not particularly overpowered)

:: These scouts are meant to function as the eyes and ears of the Qesican Faction. Their lack of damage output (15 max melee) is meant only as a defensive measure when their main tasks are town collecting, scouting, and running the hell away. Hard to level (with so little damage output) they've the ability of slow to prevent immediate death. Like most skirmishers they've crappy armor, and a high speed, some terrain is not friendly to the Scout, but "Getting away" is something they're adept at.

Their high cost represents the investment in the potential future of the unit , as the falankir, cavalier and straife are all quite powerful.

Brohdokai Scout (lvl 1) -

(Upgrades to: Brohdokai Falankir, Brohdokai Straife)

"These deft horsemen comprise the scouts of Qesican armies. Adept in fieldcraft as well as was, they're able to acertain the size and disposition of an army quickly allowing commanders to adapt and make the best possible choices. When cornered their lack of armor is a concern, but it is more than compensated with skill at arms.

Cost 19
HP 28 Movement: 8 XP 25

Skirmisher

Weapons:

Shortblade - (Blade) Melee 3-4
Bola's - (Impact) Ranged 3-2 (Slows)

Resistances:
Blade -20%
Cold 0%
Fire 0%
Holy 20%
Impact -20%
Peirce -20%

Movement/Defense:

Castle 1 40%
Village 1 40%
Deep Water 100 20%
Shallow Water 3 20%
Grassland 1 40%
Forest 1 60%
Hills 1 60%
Mountains 2 60%
Swamp 2 40%
Sand 2 50%
Cave 2 50%
Snow 2 40%
Mushroom Grove 2 50%
Chasm 100
Last edited by Qes on August 12th, 2007, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qes

Brohdokai Roundshield

Post by Qes »

Keeping with the given theme and purpose I am going to make the "recruitable" units first as balanced as possible (with acknowledgements of balancing the "line" of unit more than the actual individual units. The Scout is not particularly powerful but its higher leveled incarnations will be, for example.

:: The Brohdokai Roundsheild (and it's entire line) is the survivor unit. Flexibility still being key to all of Qesican tactical philosophy, the method by which they open opportunities and manage flexibility is through surviving long enough to see opportunities open up, or to move about the battlefeild when less tough units would be forced to withdraw.

Also in keeping with Qes' third law "Sacrfice of one for the many" these noble warriors are meant to be able to sacrifice their lives for the salvation of many other units - potentially turning the tide of a war.

Thier cost is in the medium range, but slightly higher than other 'bulk' capasity units, as its meant to out-survive other units of its own class. Keeping with the "slow" theme, this is the only unit to both have slow AND decent hit points. Most other Qesican units never gain much hitpoints and experienced/leveld units never have more than their origional counterparts - the significant difference is that with other units, slow opperates to counter this loss of extra life, but the roundsheild line perfects it to an artform. ::

Brohdokai Roundshield (lvl1) -

(Upgrades to Longshield)

"Brohdokai who heed the call of military service often enlist as sheildsman. Meant to serve as the core of the service, these individuals excel themselves at holding ground and pressing their advantage. Willing to die, but trained to survive, they often keep whatever evil hordes exist, at bay."

Cost 16
HP 40 Movement: 4 XP 35

Steadfast

Weapons:

Longspear - (Pierce) Melee 8-2
Roundsheild - (Impact) Melee 7-1 (Slows)

Resistances:
Blade 10%
Cold 0%
Fire 0%
Holy 20%
Impact 0%
Peirce 20%

Movement/Defense:

Castle 1 60%
Village 1 60%
Deep Water 100 20%
Shallow Water 3 20%