pre-Hispanic Era (first post contains current work)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jdsampayo

pre-Hispanic Era (first post contains current work)

Post by jdsampayo »

Aztec Faction:
  • Mountain Heart (Aztec Fighter) description , sketches & sprites
    lv 1.
    melee blade attack: Animal Claws.
    chaotic. (Tezcatlipoca follower)
    lv 2.
    melee blade attack: Aztec Macana, Macuahuitl
    lv 3.
    melee blade attack: Claws.
  • Tollan Eagle (Aztec Scout) description & sketches
    lv 1.
    melee blade attack: Obsidian Knife.
    melee pierce attack: Obsidian Dagger.
    heals +3.
    lawful. (Quetzalcoatl follower)
    lv 2.
    melee blade attack: Obsidian Spear, Tepoztopilli
    melee pierce attack: Obsidian Spear
  • Cloud Serpent (Aztec Archer) description & sketches
    lv 1.
    ranged pierce attack: Bow, Tlauitolli
    lv 2.
    ranged pierce attack: Great Bow.
  • Rattle (Aztec Assassin) description & sketches
    lv 1.
    melee pierce attack: Rattlesnake, poison.
    lv 2.
    becomes some kind of ghost. Not decided exactly.
  • Nahual Owl (Aztec Shaman) description & sketches
    abilities: nightstalk, ambush, skirmisher (because they can become owls)
    chaotic.
    one of his attacks will cause slow.
    this needs more work cause it will be too powerful with these abilities.
  • Tlacateccatl, Aztec General
    lv 2. (maybe an advance from the Tollan Eagle, not decided)
    melee blade attack: Obsidian Spear
    melee pierce attack: Obsidian Spear
    neutral.
    leadership.
    lv 3 Tlacochcalcatl, Aztec High General
    lv 4 Huey Tlatoani, Aztec King
This will be the Aztec Faction for now.
Anybody is welcome to contribute or to create another Faction for this pre-Hispanic era.
Last edited by jdsampayo on April 8th, 2008, 1:04 am, edited 16 times in total.
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Here, some of us have speculated about such an era in the past. Feel free to use any of these ideas you may wish.
on the Wesnoth forums, in late summer/early fall of 2005, I wrote: South American Natives

It just struck me that a faction of Peruvian, Chilean, and Brazilian natives would be pretty interesting.

For a scout, they would have a hot air balloon. And yes, this was invented in pre-Columbian Peru. See *Ancient Inventions* by Peter James and Nick Thorpe.

Ranged units could be either slingers or bola throwers. For variety's sake, probably bola throwers. A bola, of course, was three rocks tied together that could be thrown at one's enemy's legs and trip him up and/or hobble him. An impact (slow) attack, I guess.

Quechua (=Inca) warriors would bear spears, axes, and/or maces. Also, the warrior line would branch into one line of strictly warriors and another of warriors with leadership (with "Inca" as the highest rank) and another of royal guards (the "Big Ears," as they were called for their massive earings).

Chimu warriors would have steadfast. Historically, they built a great wall along their border with the Incas, but became outflanked as the Inca Empire expanded.

Aymara mountaineers would be fast even in the mountains, and could probably use their speed to challenge the dwarves for control of the heights.

And at least one Brazilian tribe resisted Portuguese invaders by burning red peppers upwind from their enemies and letting the wind blow it into their faces and irritate their eyes. A fire (slow) attack?

The mummification of corpses and the ritual sharing of meals with them was a big part of ancient Peruvian culture. In Wesnoth, of course, this could be translated into an actual Mummy unit....

Cuyo Quiz commented: You need Chancas. The only tribe which was really feared, even by the Incan Empire. They were like the Zulus of South America. They would be good candidates for Berserk.

A lil something about the Chancas: They were famous for their patasca, which today is a soup made with ram's head and called "head soup". I'm sure you all can figure out from were the Chancas got their heads for the original version of the soup.

I later noted, in response to another comment: Even the South Americans could have a shaman, who would branch into "priest of the sun" and "priest of the dead."

Aztecs

Aztec Warrior -> Eagle Warrior -> Eagle Knight -- wooden sword, impact plague (captive) and blade plague (captive)
-> Jaguar Warrior -> Jaguar Knight -- spear, pierce plague (captive)

Atlatl -> Veteran Atlatl -> Elite Atlatl -- javelin-thrower (an "atlatl" was a device to increase a thrown spear's range and power)

Aztec Slinger -> Veteran Slinger -> Elite Slinger

Aztec Priest -> Warrior Priest -> Priest of the Serpent -- obsidian knife; secondary "sacrifice" attack which can only be used on captives.

Captive (lvl 0) -- non-recruitable; does not fight; can only be attacked by Aztec priest; low resistances; if it becomes entirely surrounded by non-Aztec units, it may be "liberated" and transformed into a human peasant on the side of the faction by which it was rescued.

When the Aztec priest sacrifices a captive, other Aztec units may eat it. Any unit that eats a sacrificed captive gains five experience.

Cuyo Quiz commented: Simplify the Captive, if anyone other than an Aztec kills it, it becomes a peasant.

North American Natives

Iroquois -> Iroquois Brave -> Iroquois Sachem -- tomahawk, close and ranged; good in forests and shallow water; brave gains peace pipe 1-4 ranged (fire) slow; sachem gains leadership
-> Mohawk Brave -> Mohawk Champion -- tomahawk, close and ranged; ambush (forest); good in forests and shallow water

Apache Scout -> Apache Ranger -> Apache Warchief -- bow and spear; good resistances in hills and sand; ambush (hills); fast for infantry

Plains Horse -> Sioux Brave -> Sioux Chieftain -- bow and spear

Headhunter -> Maneater -> Cannibal -- spear (pierce); wooden sword plague (trophy head); good in forest, sand, shallow water. If he collects a trophy head from a kill, he gains one extra experience point beyond what he would have earned.

Trophy Head (lvl 0) -- lies on the battlefield until someone collects it.

Eskimo -> Seal Hunter -> Walrus Hunter -- harpoon (pierce) melee; harpoon (pierce) ranged; no movement penalty on snow and ice; good defense in snow and ice; highly resistant to cold attacks.

Cuyo Quiz commented: The North American Natives may miss a Shaman (that could branch into different totemic shamans).
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

thanks for the info, I think better I help with the idea you have, I searched in the forums but don't find that post, maybe can help me with a direct link?

And, Have some work with this?, I mean a little of art or something? So I can use it as base cause I'm not very good drawing

Well, I wait for your response
Last edited by jdsampayo on July 16th, 2007, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy

Prehispanic Era!

Post by Troy »

I am With you!

I know some things about the Incas :)

and a lot about the Mayans

:D
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

well, welcome Troy!

I'm leave here a picture of a "jaguar warrior", i looks more like a cat warrior, but well, were starting, If anyone wanna edit it, you will be welcome.

Whats your opinion?

PD I based on one spearman cause I cant create it from scratch. :p
Attachments
Jaguar Warrior v0.1
Jaguar Warrior v0.1
jaguar.png (3 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
Troy

Prehispanic Era!

Post by Troy »

it looks good :)

but I think they had their belies exposed.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

You may not be good at drawing, but you're better than me. If you're idea is good enough, and you try to do art for it yourself, you could always post your work in the art workshop and ask for feedback from the more experienced Wesnoth artists.

As for me, I would need to work through "Drawing for Dummies" before I could produce something remotely decent.

If you want I'll find you a link to that thread. It's name was something like "Feel free to say we have too many factions" and it was started by appleide, but what I already posted in this thread included all the posts from that other thread which would be most relevant to this idea. At first, the thread was about making a stereotypical prehistoric tribe, then moved on to African tribes. I suggested the Pre-Columbian tribes on the second and third page.

Also, we briefly discussed these guys on the Imperial Era forums recently, and noted that some of units I suggested above could easily be developed into distinct factions in their own right.

Anyway, very little work has been done on this aside from what you've already seen, so you can take this in pretty much whatever direction you want.
Troy

Prehispanic Era!

Post by Troy »

hey, the Aztec and Mayan and the Inca ARE on other games too.

should we make 'fantasy' names for them :?:

just wondering :wink:
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

If we're going to group some tribes together into a single faction, and then give it a fantasy name, like the Kalifa, I'm voting for something along the lines of 'Capaca' (Mancho Capac was a big incan emporer)

I'll get to work on some sprite mashups if you can give me specific units you want done first....
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

I like the idea, we can start with a mix of the best of each faction. And slow we will going adding more units, and much later maybe we can break apart in differents factions to create the complete era.

I propose this for start:

-from the Aztecs, the melee basic units and the "mages"
Jaguar Warrior as blade
Eagle Warrior as pierce
Shaman as healer, (later we introduce the Nahual as attacker, just Shaman for now)

-from the Mayans, a ranged unit
Archer (need help here, don't know much)

As for Incas, one or two units more for now, I really don't know much, maybe we take an idea from Temuchin Khan, I leave this to someone else than want to add it.

So I propose we start with 5 or 6 units with 1 level for now.

What do you think?

And, for the name, uhm, I will like something relational with all America, but right now I don't figure something.

I will keep working in the Jaguar and Eagle warriors.
Last edited by jdsampayo on April 8th, 2008, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

Eagle warrior...

this one really sucks...

i need help :'(
Attachments
Eagle Warrior v0.1
Eagle Warrior v0.1
eagle.png (4.41 KiB) Viewed 5952 times
Troy

Prehispanic Era!

Post by Troy »

thats not bad for a beginer. :)

but the shadow could be imroved.

I can't draw anything in png :(
If I could I would.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Prehispanic Era!

Post by Iris »

Troy wrote:I can't draw anything in png :(
If I could I would.
Why not download the GIMP for Windows (http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/) for free? Or buy Adobe Photoshop. :wink:

That sprite only needs shading and some better outlining. I see some out-of-place pixels in the borders. Did you scale it from a larger picture?
Last edited by Iris on May 15th, 2007, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

To answer your question, if you want help with your artwork, Art Workshop is the place to go, but there's nothing wrong with posting finished art here, to my knowledge.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
jdsampayo

Re: Prehispanic Era!

Post by jdsampayo »

Shadow Master wrote:That sprite only needs shading and some better outlining. I see some out-of-place pixels in the borders. Did you scale it from a larger picture?
Ohh I see them, no, I don't scaled it, but I didn't see it when editing it in the GIMP, also, the shadow looks very very different here. I think It's a problem of the alpha colors, maybe in the GIMP I see that pixels transparent but here they look darkers, I will work with it.

Also, it's based in the sprite "pikemen dead 2", so maybe some pixels of that sprite remain.

Damm it's to much work, I thinked it will be more easy, I better start making something with these two sprites for testing things in real game. I don't want this faction to be dead :'(...
Maeglin Dubh wrote:To answer your question, if you want help with your artwork, Art Workshop is the place to go, but there's nothing wrong with posting finished art here, to my knowledge.
Thanks for the answer, well I was only a little confused with it cause both say faction contributions. I will remain here.
Last edited by jdsampayo on April 8th, 2008, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.