Naga Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

About the placement of the unit on the hex it's almost ok, just a little too high (1/4 of height of an ellipse)
BTW, I found it looks really oversized ingame, it has the same size of an Orcish Grunt...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Its seems near the size of a level 3 or 4 thing. I could try in the future to reduce the size of the unit (try because I don't know how will it look) to be more useable. (also will be a learning experience since its something I yet need to try)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Well, there is a "tiny" sprite of the naga sentinel, it think this is tiny enough for at least a lvl 1 tought I didn't compare it with the other lvl 1 naga YET.

Hope you enjoy it.

Edit: Its correct size for a lvl 1 unit, it has the same size as the naga warrior one, so its completely useable. Yay!.

Edit2: Fixed the TC of the Naga Sentinel (big) and Naga Guardian (tiny) so they look ok ingame.

Should I need to change the Naga Guardian pose?
Attachments
Fixed Naga Sentinel
Fixed Naga Sentinel
Naga_SentinelTC.png (4.08 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
Fixed Naga Guardian (resized Naga Sentinel done by scratch.
Fixed Naga Guardian (resized Naga Sentinel done by scratch.
naga_sentinel_tiny.png (2.7 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

IMO the only naga in that line that looks lacking would be the level 2, although an edit of the current level 1 sprite might be good to replace it, and have a new level 1 where the naga is holding the mace in both hands, and thus has no shield. But I really like the current level 1 and 3 graphics, and it would be a shame to remove them entirely.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Well, they will not get removed, after all, they will still be on this thread for grabs (these images aren't grabbed by the Bot because its on this subforum and not in the art workshop.

As for the lvl 2, I'm not sure how tall are the lvl 2 naga in pixels but that can be easy done.

Not sure about the lvl 1 tought, I would want a bit more feedback about how the developers on EE (or in mainline if someone will want to use the graphics) would prefer the first level of the guardian naga.

If they want it to have the shield or they want it to port only the maul.

If the armor paddles on lvl 1 should dissapear in a similar fashion of the very first Naga Sentinel try.

Also, at the moment we currently have on EE:

Naga Guardian (the new one looks cute) - Not done - Naga Sentinel (improved graphic tough a bit in the biggerism part)

Naga Hunter (old graphic) - Naga Assasin (tought a bit big this one also would need a reduction on size and need some garments to make it look better)

Naga Fighter (on my tests I pumped it to 5-4 in order to make it more in line to its lvl 2 aka pass from 4-4 to 7-4 seems rather a big step (8-5 the last)

I'm not very happy with the images of lvl 2 and 3, but that's something I'm not going to touch yet.

The Depthstalker its ok.

I have a greensnake laying around, and as a land-dweller it helps the faction to grab villages in land, something really needed in order to remain competitive, at least on EE.

Anyway, once the guardian line is completely tough and the base frame will not be changed/altered too much, its possible to start doing the more basics animations they are lacking (Block and attack)
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well my latest comment was about that nice naga archer you drew. That Sentinel might be ok.
About the standard size of the nagas IMHO they ares not supposed to be huge, they should probably be something around the size of a human.
About the naga guardian IMHO the sprite should show it's better armored than the standard naga. One possible way to do this is to use a shield like we use currently, but it could be done in a different way.
About the Dephtstalker i now have a lvl 2 and a lvl 3, but for the moment they both use the same frames since don't have any frames for the level 3.
In EE i don't use the nagas as a standalone faction so i don't need they to be able to do everything.

Feel free to redraw the fighter line with TC too, if it's look good enough, it would probably save some work for Jetryl and would probably look consistent with the other ones you made :)
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I also prefer the shield, it looks better and makes it easier to spot where your naga guardians are.

A bit that is bugging me a bit, the Naga guardian and Naga Sentinels are this big (on pixels, lower value is how tall the naga is)

Guardian: 48x35 pixels
Warden: 58x42? --> proportion between lvl 1 and 3
Sentinel: 67x48 pixels

of course the level 2 would end being less wide because the position of the weapon would be similar to the old lvl 2, but still it seems to much, what are your toughts?

that size is having selected all pixels from width and height so when comparing it to the naga warrior take into account that his sword is placed higher than the unit's head.

I want to know before I convert finally the naga guardian line at complete, since I prefer to have them right from start.

Also, once I have the base frames done, I think it will be a good idea to show it to Jetryl, mostly because he is the art director and if I'm not mistaken the Naga Guardian is being used in a mainline campaing.

Thanks for your input so far, and if you can and isn't too hassle, please tell me how big these snakes should be on the hex for each lvl (and archer lines) that will save us time. :wink:
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Long time without an update, I blame myself however because my dedication to it is very random.

There is an experiment of useable Naga Hunter, using the new naga model I used for the guardian line.

Don't remember what was needed to change on the Naga guardian line before its implementation on the Extended era and others that wanted to use it.

Some other day, the ranged animation will follow. :)
Attachments
First draft of the naga hunter revisited.
First draft of the naga hunter revisited.
newhunter.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 2910 times