Naga Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Here is a new frame and a retouching of the previous one (touchings on the tail that were missing some parts)

Obviously, once I get these done, I'll see if I can make the tail move a bit, since at the moment I don't want to touch it because I could break it =/

One thing I whonder is why people think all snakes are good underwater, with my idea of design for them, they could be aquatic snakes (most of them can go) but I tought they were more a Forest oriented ones with possibilities of water rather than fly.

Greensnake ambush because some snakes are hard to detect on forests.
Constrictor because there are a good amount of constrictor snakes
Poisonous one (Viper) same reason.

Plus we could have a leaping snake that gains flying if it started the turn in a forest tile ;)

Still, if there isn't other race to fight with the fish people, better than nagas can fight with them, sad thing is that terrain for good naval battles are yet to be done so that will need to wait.

Other thing, I prefer ten times a faction like steppe orcs without flying creatures than a riding snake, mainly because that sounds really weird, its like ninjas riding whales.

And for campaing ideas, you could also awake the big sea serpent as a deity of the nagas, and with it the rest of naga civilization awoke.

And for Naga ward... I think an Egg Ward its better suited, these creatures should probably hatch from eggs, and I don't think these are left unprotected.

Happy weekend :)
Attachments
Third Frame, Hand now rests on the string of the bow, next one would be the pull of the string :)
Third Frame, Hand now rests on the string of the bow, next one would be the pull of the string :)
hunter-ranged3.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
Bow move left 1 pixel<br />Hand move nears the bow string in order to grab it, probably next frame.
Bow move left 1 pixel
Hand move nears the bow string in order to grab it, probably next frame.
hunter-ranged2.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
Retouched sprite in order to add missing tail pixels.
Retouched sprite in order to add missing tail pixels.
hunter-ranged1.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 4294 times
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

changing the movetype depending on the tile it started its turn in might be hard, but I think it could be done in WML, I'd ask in the WML workshop if this is really important to you... if you can do just a base frame for each unit, that would be SUPER, and I'd start working up some stats for you... I'd look into having a hydra-like unit, with swarm and regen, but low damage and weakness to fire and possibly blade...
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Before I try any base frame, I prefer to finish this little guy.

I think it can be done in WML and could give the mages some funky ideas rather than the always present "Magic attack", like giving "speed ups" to your allied units, enchanting their weapons with "Fire" etc... also it already can create summoners since its used in a faction or so I remember to read.

Here are all the frames I have so far, slighty touchs to all of them except the base, too bad I don't know how to make an animated gif yet so I can't see how it's looking :(
Attachments
Not sure about this one, tought in tiny it looks decent.<br /><br />Need to fix the arm holding the bow, it looks too big.
Not sure about this one, tought in tiny it looks decent.

Need to fix the arm holding the bow, it looks too big.
hunter-ranged4.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
Retouched Slighty
Retouched Slighty
hunter-ranged3.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
Retouched slighty
Retouched slighty
hunter-ranged2.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
First anim
First anim
hunter-ranged1.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
Base Frame
Base Frame
hunter.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Next frame and also the fix on the arm from previous one.

I was testing a bit the units I wroted and the Viper cost 19 seems better, also Berserk + Slow is a very strong combo (I tested it on the experienced Naga Constrictor between I removed its 9-2 attack, it doesn't need it)

My idea of Slow was that it was harder to damage a constrictor while he is constricting you, and the Experienced had Berserk to make a fight to the death for one of the parties

In the end, I squished those mermen, tought Viper + Archer with poison seems too much units, especially the cheap 16 archer one.
Attachments
Frame 5, need feedback!
Frame 5, need feedback!
hunter-ranged5.png (3.79 KiB) Viewed 4252 times
Frame 4 revisited, arm holding bow retouched.
Frame 4 revisited, arm holding bow retouched.
hunter-ranged4.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
unit12

Post by unit12 »

removed
Last edited by unit12 on May 10th, 2007, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

He said there were some Naga which tended to stick to land. A bow's plausible for those.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
unit12

Post by unit12 »

removed
Last edited by unit12 on May 10th, 2007, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

Also, there already is a sea serpent creature that's pretty strong. Actually, the cuttle fish should count, too. But they can move on land; they should be edited so that any terrain other than water costs 99 movement.

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Ultimatum479 wrote:Also, there already is a sea serpent creature that's pretty strong. Actually, the cuttle fish should count, too. But they can move on land; they should be edited so that any terrain other than water costs 99 movement.
Given Wesnoth's conventions, that would cause problems on some maps. Who would want to recruit a water unit, only to find that it can't even reach the nearest water tiles?
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

I'm saying for the purpose of this water-based era of which they're speaking.

unit12

Post by unit12 »

removed
Last edited by unit12 on May 10th, 2007, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Your ranged attack animation for the Naga Hunter has been commited
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Thank you, tought it still missing one or two frames (deforming the bow) tought I'm a bit busy in RL and I was unable to make them (an exam next monday), maybe next week I can finish it tought.

At least, its completed enough to see them attacking and looks good in general :)

Tought, I find the nagas in general having problems in reaching the villages when they aren't near river/swamp, I don't have a problem with them having low defense (since they work like the dwarfs) tought a bit less restrictive movement in grassland and harder on mountains could be interesting.

What do you think of that?

I tested a bit the units I created and Berserk + slow its too strong if the naga manages to lure you to water, it ended having three dwarves commit suicide against a lv2 constrictor in water so in my tests I removed berserk for them and I'm still eager to test them a bit more.

A thing, the defense animation is the one with the "water drops/exclamation" simbols over the unit head, no? that's an easy frame to add to the unit until it get worked at.

After those two/three frames are done I'll post again all the frames, to make sure that all of them are the last version of them

My idea was to make the base frame for the greensnake [normal naga standing frame inverted (for body), head turned so it looks at the right, and the right arm with a spear in the same fashion as the human javalineer] at least that's how I imagined it.

And for the units, I was thinking than the Naga Warlord could be an advanced form for the Naga viper, and I'll test them with their damage reduced to 7-2 instead of their 6-3 to make the normal naga more appealable

Thank for your replies and hoping to get a bit of free time to work again in these.
Elvish Vanquisher

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

Is it me or has it never been expained why nagas and orcs are allies.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Elvish Vanquisher wrote:Is it me or has it never been expained why nagas and orcs are allies.
Its simple, the faction needed an aquatic critter and they used the naga unit to take that place.

Same with mermen, if you check a few factions you will see that there are few that have either naga (if chaotic) or mermen (if lawful) to take that place.

Heck, the elves have a mage of light that allow the lawful units to destroy them easier due their light aura, for me it sound weird that the elves can recruit an human unit to destroy other humans but its the way the designers decided so its ok.

between, having the nagas as orc allies could be even mentioned in a story or similar, also nobody forbid you to say the nagas are forced allies of orcs, or that they have rogue nagas that are awaiting for their brethen to awaken and by helping the orcs, they help protect their sleeping brethens.