Frostlings

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Feral

Frostlings

Post by Feral »

I got an idea for a northern, somewhat viking-like race.

They're called the Frostlings

They are supposed to look somewhat human like, with goblinesque or lupine features, with a thin layer of grey or even ice-blue fur covering their bodies.

Their standard, sort of 'grunt' unit is an axeman, with crossbowmen as their archers. I imagine them to have a major advantage on snowy terrain, maybe with one or two types being completely camoflauged (with all the if-the-enemy-is-right-next-to-them stuff)

Original Unit Ideas

Axeman---Einherjar

Crossbowman---???

Warlock---Dark Ice Warlock
Ice Magus---<
Storm Mage---Storm Lord

Lupine---Lupine Ulf---Silver Lupine

Mammoth Mount---Mammoth Rider

Spy (c.i.s.)
Scout (camoflauged in snow, skirmisher)---
Tracker---Seeker (c.i.s.)

I'd also like some kind of sea unit, like a Frostling riding a shark, whale, or even a squid

Always accepting new ideas
Last edited by Feral on October 6th, 2006, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Re: Frostlings

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Feral wrote:I got an idea for a northern, somewhat viking-like race.

They're called the Frostlings, mostly because i couldn't think of a better name, and that name would do for now.

They are supposed to look somewhat human like, with goblinesque or lupine features, with a thin layer of grey or even ice-blue fur covering their bodies.

Their standard, sort of 'grunt' unit is an axeman, with crossbowmen as their archers. I imagine them to have a major advantage on snowy terrain, maybe with one or two types being completely camoflauged (with all the if-the-enemy-is-right-next-to-them stuff)

Original Unit Ideas

Axeman---Einherjar
Crossbowman---???
Ice Witch---???---???
Lupine---Lupine Ulf---Silver Lupine
Mammoth Rider---
Scout---Tracker---Seeker (camoflauged in snow)

I'd also like some kind of sea unit, like a Frostling riding a shark, whale, or even a squid

Always accepting new ideas
Good idea, but there already is a similar one -- the Marauder faction in the Imperial Era. Download the IE and check it out!
Feral

Post by Feral »

Yeah, i checked it out. It seems pretty cool, but i think maybe i'd develop this faction more. Even if it doesn't go anywhere, it's still fun :).

Since the Marauders are (or at least appear) human, perhaps the Frostlings could be the natives of the area. The two could be rivals for the limited resources in the north, occasionally banding together to raid everyone nearby. I could think up a pretty interesting storyline.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ehm... honestly, I'd prefer not. I encourage you to develop these Frostlings (they sound like a good idea to me), but I don't think they'd really fit in the Imperial Era.

BTW, the faction (except for the crossbowman) sounds sort of cave-mannish (that's not a word, I know) to me. Perhaps you want to try to construct an era with a few stone-age factions?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elestel

Post by Elestel »

yes, a good idea, extracted from the Age of Wonders... but I'm also waiting the halflings...
eh, you forgot the Northern Light... it can be used for scout...
Ignacio Dadoverde Elestel
Nada es lo que parece, y lo que parece nada es...
Always there's more you can't see than you can...

Spanish translator of UTBS, TB, SPMPP
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Wow.... turin not only refraining from flaming a new faction idea, but encouraging it? I must be in the Twilight Zone.

Just a thought; could you flesh out the units a bit more? What exactly is a Lupine Ulf, anyways?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Flare

Post by Flare »

Hey, he was nice to me...>.>;;;

And Lupine: pertaining to or resembling the wolf.
Hey, 20 gazillion lemmings can't all be wrong...right?
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I know what the word means. What I meant is, you should explain the units in greater detail. Frankly, what's outlined here is a little hard to get behind, being a little slim on detail.

Strangely enough, the mages seem to be the focus of the faction.... Your Axeman and Crossbowman don't advance very far, unless you just haven't come up with the advancements yet. Getting a complete and detailed tree is the first step on a very long path, but it can be done.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Wow.... turin not only refraining from flaming a new faction idea, but encouraging it? I must be in the Twilight Zone.
:P I encourage good ideas when I see them. This is one of the (rare) good ideas, IMHO.
Maeglin Dubh wrote:Just a thought; could you flesh out the units a bit more? What exactly is a Lupine Ulf, anyways?
That does seem to be a sort of redudant name. Lupine means Wolvish in latin; Ulf means Wolf in Old English; I don't think Wolvish Wolf makes a lot of sense, do you? The unit idea is good, but the unit name could use some work.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Feral

Post by Feral »

Fine, i admit it, they're AOW inspired. But that's just where i got the idea. I'm planning to customize them quite a bit, so please don't expect many AOW units to be implemented.

Also, sounds fair enough about the Imperial Era. I'm just concentrating on building them up at the moment.

Also, sorry about how the units aren't so in-depth yet. Mages are the focus of the faction because I couldn't think of any more advancements for the axemen or crossbowmen.

As for the Lupine line, i was thinking of a sort of more-mobile type heavy infantry. With the Lupine Ulf, it's just a temporary name. At the moment i have to call it SOMEthing.

As i said, srry about how un-in-depth it is. Just a 'skeleton' draft so far, but i'm working on it.
Last edited by Feral on October 6th, 2006, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flare

Post by Flare »

Needs more Doom Wolf. >.>;;; *shot*
Hey, 20 gazillion lemmings can't all be wrong...right?
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

NO OT on these threads! This thread, the Calimport Era thread, and the Mage Faction thread are under the personal protection of Maeglin Dubh! Protect the rare intelligent newbies!

I'm not familiar with AoW's license (didn't know what it was until five minutes ago, when I googled it.) but I'd advise a new name, once you have a more solid idea on the basics of the faction.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

*reserves judgement until more details are released*
Feral

Post by Feral »

Ideas for units and upgrades please. :wink:
Feral

Post by Feral »

Aw, heck. I'll release more details later, when the civilization is more developed. Go ahead and talk about whatever if you want.