Clockwork Dwarves (Now with added Sprites)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pic
Art Contributor

Clockwork Dwarves (Now with added Sprites)

Post by Pic »

Update: Working on sprite even as i type.

Basic story line is as follows:

Upon the destruction of the ancient dwarves, there technologies were lost, all scientists and engineers had no time to pass on their knowledge and although a few ancients survived, they, rather like we would now, had no idea how to recreate their most base technologies they had once relied on.

They did however, have the benefit of hindsight, and since they knew technologies could exist and the very basics of how they could, they put their minds together and managed to recreate the most base technology of clockwork.

Advancements since then have been slow and their descendants today still use clockwork. Sophisticated clockwork, but clockwork no the less.

Their reliance on their machines has weakened them over the years, taking away the hardiness and strength of the other dwarves. Although this doesn’t stop them from being a formidable foe.

A unit tree is listed below: (@ means sprite complete)

Clockwork advancement tree:
+ recruitable unit
* available leader

+Clockwork Triggerman
-> *Clockwork Gunner
--> Clockwork Artillery @

+Clockwork Solider @
-> *Clockwork Marshal @
--> Clockwork General @

+Clockwork Wanderer @
-> *Clockwork Rambler
--> Clockwork Itinerant

+Clockwork Greaser @
-> *Clockwork Oiler @
--> Armoured Mechanic @
--> Clockwork Blazer @

+Contraption @
-> Clockwork Golem
-> Clockwork Automaton

+Dwarven Cutthroat @
-> Dwarven Slayer @
--> Armoured Assassin @
--> Gas Baron @

[A Unit Tree based on a Assassin Dwarf idea, except the dwarf assissinates with chemicals. A punch-syringe for large slow hits and a selection of small glass balls filled with a deadly gas (slow inducing) for the long range hits. On the third level the unit can decide wherever to be more gas or more punch-syringe based]
Last edited by Pic on November 13th, 2006, 7:46 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

So they would be named the Clockwork Dwarves ?
The concept looks interesting. What weapon(s) do the unit use (except for the gunner line, it's not obvious) ?
Btw a swimming of a flying unit might be desirable. You could pick for example the dwarvish copters from the extended era (feel free to improve the graphics).
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

The Clockwork Itinerant can go in water and land. If you give me a minute i will update the original post to include a bit more information on each unit.
Thanks for the interest! :)
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: A new faction for the dwarves.

Post by Zhukov »

:) G'day Pic. This sounds interesting.
It's good to hear you are willing to do the art. Lack of art kills many faction ideas, and doesn't discriminate between good ideas and bad ones.
Pic wrote:The L3 unit (Clockwork Artillery) will have a secondary berserk attack, in which it will dig in and fire upon the enemy until someone dies.
Just a note on this. Ranged berserk is really overpowered. Many units have no ranged attack at all. So this Artillery guy would be able to get 100% certain kills without taking any return damage at all.
I'll probably have more comments later.

Good luck.

PS. And if some guy called 'turin' or '<X> pillager' comes in and tries to tell you that this faction doesn't fit in Wesnoth, ignore him. He does it to everybody. ;)
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

I never thought of the ranged attack with beserk but i can see your point. It will have to go.

Ignore them :D Got it. Besides, anything people want to put in their own game belongs in their game in my opinion, i'm not forcing it on anyone. (Premptive defense of unwesnothian accusations)
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Concept Sprite:
Tell me what you think.
(to keep you all interested i did the most BORING sprite out of the lot first)
Attachments
ClockworkGunner.png
ClockworkGunner.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 5978 times
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Point of interest:

I'm more interested in doing the art and concept. The concept is mainly done and i'm doing the art now. If anyone who likes doing stat things would like to help on the actual stats the units should have in order to make things balenced it would be greatly appreciated. 8)
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Clockwork General. The right arm deals peircing damage (The blade withdraws on cogs and springs foward) the left slashing damage via a bladed spinning cog.

It is bigger then a dwarf i know, but this is because the dwarf is enclosed within the upper 'body' the legs are entirly mechanincal.
Attachments
L3-ClockworkGeneral
L3-ClockworkGeneral
ClockworkGeneral.png (14.2 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I can help for the stats...Btw i will wait for a few more sprites, so i'll have a better feeling of how the units work.
I have the ffeling that your faction + Zhukov's orcs could be the begining of a nice era.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Contraption
Attachments
L1 - Contraption
L1 - Contraption
Contraption.png (14.18 KiB) Viewed 5899 times
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

That sounds great! Any help would be very..uhhh...helpful :wink:
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Here we have another unit.

He's not -too- different from the first. But then again i don't expect them to be, he mainly has a bigger gun, i moved his stance abit nearer too not that it's noticable.

L3 will be different though.
Attachments
L2 - ClockworkGunner
L2 - ClockworkGunner
ClockworkGunnerL2.png (13.74 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

The way he hold the gun is odd. Shouldn't he hold it by the stock? With stock on his shoulder, one hand on trigger, other on barrel, etc. See: Dwarf Dragonguard raned attack frame(s).
hey.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Maybe in the case of normal guns but it wouldn't make sense to have the trigger far away from the mechanism in a clockwork gun, which is why in this one the trigger is at the back. Also the gun is too big to fit over his shoulder (like it does on the level 1? I assume thats what you mean)
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Now here is an interesting (and excellent) change done by Fmunoz. If he gives the go ahead i will use it!
Attachments
L3 - General
L3 - General
ClockworkGeneral.png (12.1 KiB) Viewed 5836 times