Free Goblins (Dev Stage: Statting, Coding-then Animating)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

waw

Post by waw »

GRRR! I hATE eWoks!!!! Ewoks = Noobs

:D sorry for the noobish postie...

Honestly, the Chinese were a special case, super intelligent, a far superior race from the future. Honestly.. have you seen some of the things they did?

As for the hot air balloon... ya, I would like it explained on how the Goblins got quality textiles..

As for the Kites, it has been around for years and years... but I don't think goblins would have ever... EVER cared about them... I would recommend something like a giant bat rider, or, um, flying carpets even. Goblins shouldn't have anything advanced as a kite or hang glider. But since these goblins are a little bit more enlightened, get them good fabrics, and the hot air balloon would work better... just my opinion.

As for the stick master... Do you know about Kali Sticks? look that up and it will tell you all you need to know. I think I would even change it to Kali Master.... would be my favy!!!
What would you give for your freedom?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Of course, goblins could only be expected to make hot air balloons if goblins could be expected to produce quality textiles....
Are quality textiles really necessary? Couldn't they treat cheaper textiles with wax or tallow?

If need be, I could write a "materials raid" scenario into the campaign though.
waw wrote:But since these goblins are a little bit more enlightened, get them good fabrics, and the hot air balloon would work better... just my opinion.
Mr_svperstar has talked me around on that - the main thing is that they be able to outrun everybody (since they'll be incredibly fragile). If a balloon can move as fast as Mr Svperstar says, it'll do the trick.
waw wrote:As for the stick master... Do you know about Kali Sticks? look that up and it will tell you all you need to know. I think I would even change it to Kali Master.... would be my favy!!!
I'm keeping the terminology deliberately simple and generic since the Goblins are generally "reinventing the wheel".
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

irrevenant wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:Of course, goblins could only be expected to make hot air balloons if goblins could be expected to produce quality textiles....
Are quality textiles really necessary? Couldn't they treat cheaper textiles with wax or tallow?
An interesting question. And honestly, I'm not sure of the answer to that.

I say go ahead with it. Sturdy textiles treated with wax or tallow should suffice. Heck, this being a fantasy world, it is enough that we have a plausible explanation.
mr_svperstar

Balloonist

Post by mr_svperstar »

I'm a little dissappointed with the lack of progress, I was expecting everyone to complain about my crappy picture and post 5 better alternatives, and also suggest some better names. :D

Good to see some people like my idea though!

Done a little fiddling, now has perspective rather than isometric view and a round basket. It's still a bit flat, needs detail/shading on the balloon. I tried to have a few shades and then blur them together, but then it lost the team colour and came out purple for every team. I dunno what I'm doing, I draw much better with a pencil. :oops:

Could have the more enclosed basket option for level 2 as it would provide better defence, and go with an exposed platform for the level 1.
Attachments
balloonist2.png
balloonist2.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Balloonist

Post by irrevenant »

mr_svperstar wrote:I'm a little disappointed with the lack of progress, I was expecting everyone to complain about my crappy picture and post 5 better alternatives, and also suggest some better names. :D
Have you looked at the history of this thread?! So far it's taken me over a year to come up with art for a third of the faction. :? And I don't even have stats yet! I've been working on it occasionally in my spare time (of which I don't have a lot). I could step it up some, though.
mr_svperstar wrote:Good to see some people like my idea though!
The idea is very cool. I'll have a play with the art when I get a chance. Whether I can come up with anything better than you is another matter.
mr_svperstar wrote:Done a little fiddling, now has perspective rather than isometric view and a round basket. It's still a bit flat, needs detail/shading on the balloon. I tried to have a few shades and then blur them together, but then it lost the team colour and came out purple for every team. I dunno what I'm doing, I draw much better with a pencil. :oops:
Halfway down this page there's a colour swatch of the colours that are valid for TColour.
You can sample the colours from that.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

I like it. Sounds good to me. Lol, I'd like to have a goblin demolition team like in the old Warcraft. No, there would be no "advancement" on THAT position.lol.

Seriously, I like the idea the way it is. The storyline too.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
mr_svperstar

Re: Balloonist

Post by mr_svperstar »

irrevenant wrote:
mr_svperstar wrote:I'm a little disappointed with the lack of progress, I was expecting everyone to complain about my crappy picture and post 5 better alternatives, and also suggest some better names. :D
Have you looked at the history of this thread?! So far it's taken me over a year to come up with art for a third of the faction. :? And I don't even have stats yet! I've been working on it occasionally in my spare time (of which I don't have a lot). I could step it up some, though.
I was only joking, I know its been going for ages!

I was just expecting everyone to jump in and make their own like what happened with the stickmen branch. :D

You've done some great work, I think everyone else might be losing interest tho. :(
mr_svperstar

siege tower

Post by mr_svperstar »

Hey irrevenant!

Got a new unit for you! :D

I drew the siege tower, it's made of wood and only one tier high. You can't really go higher due to unit size, but you can imagine it is 3 or 4 tiers and therefore provides the occupant with better defence.

I'm not sure what you were planning but I was thinking it would have high defence, but not great attack, and a speed of 3/4 tiles. Movement would be 1 for roads, castles, 2 for dirt tracks or grass, and 3 for sand. 99 for all bad terrain that it couldn't cross (ie mountains, forests, caves)

For ranged attacks he could pour hot oil on his enemy or just use a bow. If using the oil it would probably have good damage but only 1 attack. And since he advances from a builder unit, I'm assuming he would be carrying a hammer that could be used for melee attacks. (ie hitting the fingers of a troll that tries to scale his tower)

Sound good? :D

I've just used the ponderer graphic again, but i think its an ok start, just needs some tweaking.

Might draw up a defence tower too, I'm thinking this one would be stronger, so it would be made of stone. Would it be mobile or stationary? Just wondering if it needs wheels or not before I start drawing.

I was thinking the siege tower would be the mobile version with slightly less defence, while the defence tower is immobile and is stationed purely for defence. Simply place the builder in a strategic position and wait for him to advance. Either in a town (for healing), next to a town (to prevent the enemy surrounding the holder of the town), on a bridge or something along those lines.

Sounds ok in theory, but basically makes it useless when it comes to recalling. Unless you just want to baracade the leader safely in the keep.

What's everyone think?
Attachments
siegetower.png
siegetower.png (8.72 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Dude, you rock!

I'm of two minds whether the other tower should be stationary or have a move of 1. Stationary is better, but I'm concerned other units will just end-around him. Still, given how cheap the goblin troops will be, that shouldn't be a problem.

Go with stationary.

This faction might just be finished this decade yet. :D
mr_svperstar

tower

Post by mr_svperstar »

Here's a draft.

I think its a bit too dull. Needs to be a bit more bright and cartoony to fit in with the rest of the group, but I'm tired and my eyes aren't working straight. Haven't put a little goblin in either.

So I'll just post it and go to bed!

Also posting a first draft of the siege tower, its the same thing, but the wood is a little lighter and the shadow isnt added yet.
Attachments
defencetower.png
defencetower.png (7.6 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
siege_raw.png
siege_raw.png (8.71 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I'm sorry to have to ask, but unfortunately it matters a lot: Did you create that artwork from scratch or has it been sourced from elsewhere? Unfortunately we can only use artwork that you have the copyright to release under the GPL.

Please consider it a compliment: that defence tower especially looks too good to be true (is it a reduced shot of a 3D model?).

P.S. Revised versions of the Woundpatcher and Potioner attached.
Attachments
Woundpatcher.png
Woundpatcher.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
potioner.png
potioner.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
Last edited by irrevenant on September 14th, 2007, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The woundpatcher's hat looks a little too pointy to me - it looks like they could impale their enemies by headbutting them. Or is it meant to lol?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
mr_svperstar

Post by mr_svperstar »

Those pics are hand drawn replicas based on other images I found on the internet.

Is that ok? I needed something for reference/proportions.

The siege tower was based on a big tower 3 levels high being pushed by many small men. I tried to draw it a couple of times without a reference and I couldn't get the proportions right, especially for the supports on the far side.

The defence tower was drawn looking at a model tower. The proportions were different and it had a doorway and windows spiraling around the tower and everything. I didn't bother adding any of that stuff to my picture. So I just went for a smooth rounded surface. I had to do a lot of shading to get the 3d effect. Especially around the supports for the top platform.

So yeah, I used other peoples ideas and sampled their colour schemes, but I drew them myself using gimp. At what point is it illegal?

I painted a replica of a Monet in high school but I didn't go to jail for that! :D
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It's something of a grey area i think. Would something based on the Orc Watchtower unit from SotBE be workable?

And copying monet is perfectly legal, monet's work is WAY too old to be under copyright.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

Passing off the Monet as the real thing, now thats illegal.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis