COMING SOON: an extremely arrogant summary of the WoW

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

COMING SOON: an extremely arrogant summary of the WoW

Post by turin »

I plan on writing, in the next few weeks, a summary of the history of the World of Wesnoth, its geography, what factions are located on it and where they are, and, what factions will NOT be located on the planet. I realize I have no power to enforce anything I say in said document; nevetheless, for the purposes of said document I will act as if I do. That way I don't have to be tactful about anything. ;)

The purpose of this thread is to help me make decisions, as well as help anyone else who feels they want to make their own, rival summary.

In no particular order, here is a list of the factions that off the top of my head I KNOW are going to be in.

On Old Continent:
Lavinians
Sidhe
Frost Elves
Marauders
Aiyira
Orces Gentorum

On Great Continent:
Loyalists
Rebels
Northerners
Knalgans
Sarecens
Undead

(These aren't eras, just lists of groups)

Anyone know of something I'm missing? Anyone think a group I have here should be removed? (There are, of course, many proposed factions, but these are the ones I think should be in... although I think I am missing a few.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Re: COMING SOON: an extremely arrogant summary of the WoW

Post by Ranger M »

turin wrote:although I think I am missing a few.
Dardoni, Arendians (Aragwaith?)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If you're writing a summary of history, geography and that sort of thing, why try to group races into "factions"? To me that immediately brings to mind an attempt to try and place the default era (in the case of the great continent) factions somewhere in the Wesnoth world, while "factions" as we know them are formed on a per-campaign basis and most of them aren't a major part of the overall history, politics and development.

For example "loyalists" or "rebels" are, AFAIK, only used to describe the two sides struggling during HttT, so they (and especially rebels) aren't a long-term part of the history, just two opposing sides during a single time period.

Also, drakes seem to be missing.
Liminiality2

Post by Liminiality2 »

turin hates drakes (i think) check that forum (he was tormented on it)

anyway i think that this is a great idea. it will give people the knowledge they need in one specific spot. (and once again i need to know were drakes live).

as for the Loyalist and Rebels , Humans and Elves ( whatever and so on)
i think that he should keep them in their respective factions, but also write out about each indidvdual race and tell which faction they go to

BtW turin: if you need any help, PM me and i'll do my best. :)
NO FOG is certain - Elvish Pillager
Campaign: Revenge of the Elves http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11477
JW

Post by JW »

You forgot the Shifters. :wink:
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

That would be Dardanoi and Airiya. Also Arendians, you can't leave Lavinia without vassal nations.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

Didnt the drakes live in some island?
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

And the spider-people and vermyn lived in eternal happiness.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

SunTzu wrote:Didnt the drakes live in some island?
Yes, but in TRoW said island was already beginning to sink into the sea. They were still living there in Flight to Freedom, but I haven't played to the end of that campaign to say where they ultimately end up, and don't consider it to be canonical anyways.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Mermen?
Naga?

Dark Elves??
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:If you're writing a summary of history, geography and that sort of thing, why try to group races into "factions"? To me that immediately brings to mind an attempt to try and place the default era (in the case of the great continent) factions somewhere in the Wesnoth world, while "factions" as we know them are formed on a per-campaign basis and most of them aren't a major part of the overall history, politics and development.

For example "loyalists" or "rebels" are, AFAIK, only used to describe the two sides struggling during HttT, so they (and especially rebels) aren't a long-term part of the history, just two opposing sides during a single time period.
Good point. I'll split it up by race, then; and, FYI, the men of Wesnoth I count as race "Wesnothian", not race "Human". There are too many human groups.
zookeeper wrote:Also, drakes seem to be missing.
Darn. My not-so-subtle attempt to remove drakes from Wesnoth failed. ;)
Ranger M wrote:Dardoni, Arendians (Aragwaith?)
I'm hesitant to include the Dardanoi or Arendians at this point, although I probably will. Consider them on a different list - the "probable" list. I'll add several more to that list later this post. ;)

The Aragwaithi have no place in the WoW currently, so they're "improbable". Which basically means "no". If you want to debate one of my "no"s later in this post, feel free, but I'd prefer not to waste my time giving explanations if everyone agrees.
JW wrote:Shifters
Err... honestly, I'd prefer "no". I think the Era of Myths should be in a separate world.
Kestevarn wrote:And the spider-people and vermyn lived in eternal happiness.
The what now?

(No.)
ILikeProgramming wrote:Dark Elves??
No.

Other "probables":
Celtics
High Elves
Desert Elves
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
appleide

Post by appleide »

Uhh... Drakes are still missing. Maybe you should write:

Code: Select all

Island
Drakes
And edit it onto your post.

Someone should brief me about "Orces Gentorum", I have no idea what that is. (I think they should be out)
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: COMING SOON: an extremely arrogant summary of the WoW

Post by Wintermute »

turin wrote: On Great Continent:
Loyalists
Rebels
Northerners
Knalgans
Sarecens
Undead
Just FYI, Saracens are now called Kalifa.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:
JW wrote:Shifters
Err... honestly, I'd prefer "no". I think the Era of Myths should be in a separate world.
The Shifters are not the EOM. They are former Wesnothian explorers who settled a land that was split from Wesnoth by a chasm created from a giant earthquake. (Which happened after they settled the land.)

-

I wouldn't expect them to be added to the wow without complete art even, and without a campaign I can also understand their non-committance. When the campaign is finished you might rethink your position. :wink:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

JW wrote:
turin wrote: Err... honestly, I'd prefer "no". I think the Era of Myths should be in a separate world.
The Shifters are not the EOM. They are former Wesnothian explorers who settled a land that was split from Wesnoth by a chasm created from a giant earthquake. (Which happened after they settled the land.)
I thought they were in the EOM. Are they not? :?
The World of Orbivm