"Asia Mod" by Thelost1 Updated to version [0.2]

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

appleide

"Asia Mod" by Thelost1 Updated to version [0.2]

Post by appleide »

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10818
This is the 'Asia Mod' proposed by Thelost1. It has been aimed by its original author to be a complete new era with each faction representing a different aspect of Asia. Currently it has only 9 units in one faction (level 2s not finished), stuck onto the default era.

He said he was going to come back, but he didn't... :( I composed this 4-6 weeks ago, pmed him about it and hasn't replied.... So I have taken my liberty to compose all his units together, with 2 of my own and made balancing changes to the scout.

Edit: He finally came back ;-)

This is only a playtesting faction stuck onto the default era. Also, it is made during the time of "1.1.2" so I am not sure of whether it is compatible with the latest version. There are no level 2s for most of the units, so I suggest playing with 200% EXP, else it would freeze (I presume) when you level up a unit that points to but does not have level 2 unit. (Only Bubing can level, the others can too, but their levelled files are non-existant)

It is made on Mac Os X, so there might be random files you don't know what it is, but if it is less than 1kb, delete it. This file is zipped.

UPDATE 03/07/06 0.2: New graphic for 'Engineer'. Re-done graphics and unit.cfg for archer [its now a crossbowman of some sort], made Banner-holder level 1 and recruitable. stats for engineer modified, rocket launcher is now a level-up for engineer. Changed names to english, but placed notes into unit description containing the original chinese names.

UPDATE 12/06/06 0.1: Added new unit 'Engineer'. lowered attacks of archer unit, Cavalry unit and removed marksmanship of rocket launcher. Btw, I forgot to say I also updated for the leadership ability to be used in 1.1.5
Attachments
asiamod0.2.zip
unzip, drag contents into campaign folder in userdata.
(65.37 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Last edited by appleide on July 3rd, 2006, 7:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Bump
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Just played a game with Chinese vs AI (well, tried to do one before but WN crashed, no idea why though). I might have gone a different way, but I still like it.

Are you looking for any specific feeback? It seems to me like some of the attack numers and/or damages of the units are a bit excessive (the bowman, the rocket unit and the spearman). The rocket unit having marksman doesn't make sense to me, since I can't imagine those things would be very accurate. I think it would make more sense to have the opposite of marksman (something that makes the accuracy never more than 30% or 40%) and then give it like 10 attacks.

I could keep on going, because I'm just Mr. Idea Man, but I don't know if you want any of it. Either way, my mouth waters pretty heavily at the thought of a completed East Asia era.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Ken Oh wrote:Just played a game with Chinese vs AI (well, tried to do one before but WN crashed, no idea why though). I might have gone a different way, but I still like it.

Are you looking for any specific feeback? It seems to me like some of the attack numers and/or damages of the units are a bit excessive (the bowman, the rocket unit and the spearman). The rocket unit having marksman doesn't make sense to me, since I can't imagine those things would be very accurate. I think it would make more sense to have the opposite of marksman (something that makes the accuracy never more than 30% or 40%) and then give it like 10 attacks.

I could keep on going, because I'm just Mr. Idea Man, but I don't know if you want any of it. Either way, my mouth waters pretty heavily at the thought of a completed East Asia era.
I don't mind if you keep on going... But... I was looking for specfic feedback on the 'theme' and 'balance' of the faction first. What do you think the archer should be like instead? I want to avoid clashing too much with loyalists.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

For theme, I think you're going in the right direction as far as lots of cheap units and having them use spear. We both know that one of China's greatest assests, throughout all of history, is manpower. I actually think you could consider going further in that direction, making peasant level 0 units kind of like Goblin Spearmen but have a recruitable level 1 leadership unit that helps them out.

I would also consider making the Far East Era have level some 0 units for every faction, just because of massive amounts of people that some of these historical East Asian wars had.

I think that the current units are a little too strong. I'm not a master of balance for this game so I can't really be too specific, other than that, I can't imagine Drakes having a chance versus this faction with all the high damage pierce out there. Also, who's to say that this faction has to be based on the balance of the mainline era?

If you want a little more thought about how I would envision the whole era, I would make it like this:
Chinese- lots of weak/cheap recruits, but level 1 hero units that have leadership and/or tactician units that are weak by themselves but give special bonuses to adjacent troops (see my Tactician thread in Ideas, for an example)
Japanese- expensive units (Bushi/Samurai and Shinobi/Ninja) on top of regular peasants
Mongols- all mounted, fast moving (that's obvious) with a lot of the units having both melee and bow
Koreans- mix between Chinese and Japanese (because that's what they always seemed to be to me in everything else ;) ) also, you could add the curved swords that Japanese Bushi used, since they had them too (i study/teach a martial art that has to deal with that)
Uighurs (people from Xinjiang)- Natives to desert combat
South East Asians?- Not sure what specific to call this, but jungle fighters would make sense, kind of make them like elves.
SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

Ah, no, that China=Weak units its a cliche.
The chinese armies had many good units that are not weak.
If much, i'd compose the chinese units with good crossbowmen, great Pikeman, and a decent line of cavalry.
and of, course, having a lvl0 unit, but that's up to the autor.
China had great strategists, and i'm sure none of them liked an human wave attack.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

The Chinese used gunpowder-tossing catapults. Don't forget the gunpowder-tossing catapults.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

appleide

Post by appleide »

Elvish Pillager wrote:The Chinese used gunpowder-tossing catapults. Don't forget the gunpowder-tossing catapults.
So... How do you suppose the catapult would be like?
tsr

Post by tsr »

appleide wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:The Chinese used gunpowder-tossing catapults. Don't forget the gunpowder-tossing catapults.
So... How do you suppose the catapult would be like?
Tossing, with the help of gunpowder? Or maybe tossing gunpowder?

/tsr

ps. I'm curretnly in a very hungry-->eat too much-->coma
appleide

Post by appleide »

tsr wrote:
appleide wrote: So... How do you suppose the catapult would be like?
Tossing, with the help of gunpowder? Or maybe tossing gunpowder?

/tsr

ps. I'm curretnly in a very hungry-->eat too much-->coma
I mean like.... what would image look like, whats the hitpoints, attacks, movetype, etc... It would definitely be nice if Thelost1 comes back soon... I don't even know which step to take next (draw level 2s? Animations? sounds?) Someone help me?? Even if you just look at the WML of someof them and improve on them (eg, I don't think I got missile tags for any units.)
appleide

Post by appleide »

I've drawn a terrible drawing of an Engineer. It has an attack 'ground thunder' that is actually a landmine. In-game, it acts as an attack with range "unseen", so it can't be retalitated by anyone except himself. I also updated the download file.
Ken Oh wrote:I think that the current units are a little too strong. I'm not a master of balance for this game so I can't really be too specific, other than that, I can't imagine Drakes having a chance versus this faction with all the high damage pierce out there. Also, who's to say that this faction has to be based on the balance of the mainline era?

If you want a little more thought about how I would envision the whole era, I would make it like this:
Chinese- lots of weak/cheap recruits, but level 1 hero units that have leadership and/or tactician units that are weak by themselves but give special bonuses to adjacent troops (see my Tactician thread in Ideas, for an example)
Japanese- expensive units (Bushi/Samurai and Shinobi/Ninja) on top of regular peasants
Mongols- all mounted, fast moving (that's obvious) with a lot of the units having both melee and bow
Koreans- mix between Chinese and Japanese (because that's what they always seemed to be to me in everything else ;) ) also, you could add the curved swords that Japanese Bushi used, since they had them too (i study/teach a martial art that has to deal with that)
Uighurs (people from Xinjiang)- Natives to desert combat
South East Asians?- Not sure what specific to call this, but jungle fighters would make sense, kind of make them like elves.
Very nice... But to complete all that I need more than 1 person doing this. Even if someone just helps makes the WML work better.. (I don't know how to do halos, for instance). Also, how do you makes the Engineer not bump into enemy when using the unseen range??
Attachments
images.png
images.png (15.98 KiB) Viewed 6295 times
engineer.png
engineer.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

im Back! Vietnam is awesome. SE asia is something that we should do last. they would have lots of special abilities.

Thanks for all this work, Im going to be working on this a lot now.

no catatpults, chinese didn't use them. The rocket launcher wouldn't have any sort of marksmanship, just a lot of shots fired.

ps: I can work on halos
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."
Jester

Post by Jester »

The Engineer looks like he is giving someone the finger...
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

no he doesn't
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."