Celtic based faction: New villager

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I don't pretend to be good at art, but these units look a little small. When I saw the druid, I first thought it was a dwarve...
I prefer the version with robe, but weren't druids supposed to wear white clothes? (I'm not saying they were : it's just the way people recognize them the easiest)
Other than that, they're good.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Alks

Post by Alks »

yup, too small and too dwarvish. A little fix should help it however.
samuelf

Post by samuelf »

Hey there,
Like the idea here, keep working on it! :)

There seems to be alot of confusion about who the Celts are, so I thought I'd add some background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Celts_800-400BC.PNG

This is the area covered by Celtic culture in 800 through to 400 BC. As you can see this is over half of Europe, covering a wide range of peoples with varying physical traits (not just blonde hair).

I am half North Welsh, whom are regarded as the last of the British Celts. Pale skin, black hair and grey eyes are the norm. Boudica famously had red hair and was from eastern Britain, so there must have been alot of variation.

http://www.britannia.com/history/docs/tacitus.html

This is the writing of Tacitus, a Roman historian who gives valuable glimpses of the druids and priestesses on Britain as they made the last stand of the Celts in Europe. Vcool.

Notes on appearance:

Druids traditionally wear white.
Nobles/queens/kings wear very thick gold torques around the neck.
Warriors strip naked for battle and rub a blue dye called woad over their body, and spike their hair with chalk.
The Celts most fearsome weapon was the chariot.
They wove bright fabrics of blue, green, yellow deep reds and browns.

Modern Scots are descendents of the Old Irish Celts. The claymore is the famed huge two-handed sword used by them, but only for around 300 years, so its a little modern to be truely Celtic.

Ancient Celts favoured a sword like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Celt ... buckle.JPG

History lesson over for today... :P
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

samuelf wrote:Hey there,
Like the idea here, keep working on it! :)
Thanks.
samuelf wrote: ...a wide range of peoples with varying physical traits (not just blonde hair).
Yes...the traditional image of Celts is having blond hair. But dark hair could work also. Red hair maybe. Hmm...blond for warrior, dark for druids or bards, red haired for...maybe for nobles. Just realized Morrigan line would look awesome with dark hair also. Sweet...
[/quote]
samuelf wrote: Druids traditionally wear white.
Yeah, the green cloak was an experiment to symbolize relation to nature. Another druid image is in the works, expect it later today or tomorow, as the previous one apparently was too small (and green-robed).
samuelf wrote: Nobles/queens/kings wear very thick gold torques around the neck.
If I ever make a noble, king, or queen unit, I'll remember. :) Actually, that could work for my campaign hero...
samuelf wrote: Warriors strip naked for battle and rub a blue dye called woad over their body, and spike their hair with chalk.
There was an image by Kitajec a while ago that did, I think I'll use it, or something like it.
samuelf wrote: The Celts most fearsome weapon was the chariot.
It has been discussed much previously that chariots cannot be made due to scale for the image, unless the horses and people used were about half the size of normal. (Pity, too. I drew up a whole chariot branch from the horse line that was gonna be awesome, before I realized that.)
samuelf wrote: Ancient Celts favoured a sword like this:
Given how rusty that is, I have no idea how I'll draw that for representation in Wesnoth, but I'l try. I will still keep the 2h sword for the level 3, though, because I think it looks awesome.
samuelf wrote:History lesson over for today... :P
History lessons welcomed. I want these guys to be pretty historically accurate in order to fit in with the other historically accurate O.C/I.E historically accurate factions. With a bit of fantasy thrown in because it's Wesnoth, of course.
hey.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Here's an edit of an image I found on the Graphics Library. I was going to use this as a base, just wanted to see what people thought of it:
Attachments
druid_117.png
druid_117.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
hey.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

And an alternate version of the warrior, naked with blue paint on. (Sorry for the double post)
Attachments
celtic_warrior_blue.png
celtic_warrior_blue.png (3.71 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
hey.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

The Druid's a little fuzzy, but not bad. But it's still a little small, IMO.
The warrior is not bad... maybe the shield should just be improved to look more celtic:

"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Here's a tracker; if you remember that was the scout unit with say 6 moves that can cross rough terrain(forest, mountain, hill, shallow water) in 1 move and has high defense +low resist. I drew this guy from scratch. Comments?
Attachments
celtic_tracker.png
celtic_tracker.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
hey.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

One more. The bard. Drawn by me, again. Only copied part is the harp. I'm trying to move away from cut and paste.
I'm actually happy with how this guy looks, especially his hair. I put a lot of work into that hair.
The yellow (saffron) shirt and forest-green pants are Irish-inspired. The Irish are (mostly) Celtic anyway, and among the surviving Celts more music-related than, say the Scots (who are more generally associated with warfare, bravery etc. They were the blue-painters.)
EDIT: uploaded wrong one :oops:
Attachments
celt_bard.png
celt_bard.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
hey.
toms

Post by toms »

I´m sorry but I must say that the hair doesn´t look good. It may be right, but I advice you to make his hair bigger. Look at the thief or at the marauder gfx in general. Then you will also get a feeling for the correct size of heads.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Your units are a little too small. Maybe you should pwork with shaders, with an already existing unit behind the one you're drawing to have the correct proportions.
Anyway, once the faction will be ready, maybe more people will be interested in it.

Are you still working on it, BTW? Have you defined stats?
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

I am, but I've been doing a bit of core art lately: team coloring stuff, trying to make animations, messing up and being scolded by Jetryl, etc. Plus there's the real world. So even though it's summer I haven't got much work in lately.
---
About stats: Lesser Python made a test era a while back; but I have made several revisions since then. Yes I have defined stats, I'm waiting till everything has a standing frame before releasing Version 0.1.0.
hey.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Heh, you guys though I'd let this thing die, didn't you? Thought maybe I'd forgotten? Heck, you probably forgot too. Well, I haven't. The next release, boasting everything with its own, original*, standing frame, plus more balanced stats, will soon be out.
For tonight, I leave you with a druid image, my third attempt, drawn by me, and the first one I'm satisfied with.
Attachments
druid_3.png
druid_3.png (5.31 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Not bad. At least, it's more human-sized (though humans are really getting bigger and bigger).
Maybe you could TColour his belt? (BTW, that belt needs to be more visible).
Not being at home with my own trusted Linux computer, I can't try to edit this (no way to apt-get or to yum quickly a Gimp on this bloody Windows)
Alks

Post by Alks »

progress noted, after all this is what counts here.