Vampires

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

A lot more detailed than mine, which is probably a good thing. I'm not convinced about that axe though, he looks like the kind of guy that would wield something a bit...chunkier (translation=I like my axe better!).
The pose seems strange too, I'm pretty sure nobody holds an axe like that (I know mine had the empty left hand in the same place, I was going for a 'Just bring it!' look - though he actually looks like he's checking for broken nails...)

I did mine in Paint too, by the way, and I'm not saying that it's any better than yours - I rarely do sprites, and not usually in Paint.

EDIT: Fixed the 'broken nail' problem by replacing the left arm with a mirrored version of Typhon's right (without the spikes, I just don't like them - no offence, Typhon!). The right leg is also borrowed from his version, with a slight alteration to the knee.
Attachments
flesh-doll-3.png
flesh-doll-3.png (3.8 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

my idea of a flesh automaton...with wicked scary axe
Attachments
flesh-doll.png
flesh-doll.png (2.4 KiB) Viewed 4408 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Yep, that's better than mine...
I was going for Frankenstein's Monster, but it actually turned out like Conan the Zombie Barbarian (this is why I don't do digital art!)
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Hmm... Wasn't too sure wether to post this in Abomination thread or here. :)
But that has been decided now, here's a flesh doll for ya (with skin since blood and gore is a big no-no in Wesnoth).

It doesn't have an axe though... that can be arranged but IMHO it would look better without external weaponry. Claws? Or will it just bash with fists?
JW sez and I doz.
Attachments
hulking_flesh-doll.png
hulking_flesh-doll.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
Last edited by Eternal on December 11th, 2006, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
zthroo

Post by zthroo »

That's very good!
I like Eternal's best :D

I agree. I think it would look better without any weapons.
Of course you should fight fire with fire.
You should fight everything with fire!
- Jaya Ballard
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

That looks cool, the pink skin doesn't look right though. I would have thought it would look more zombie-like, either skeletal or mouldy/rotten. It might just be me, though.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Hunched. An open jaw or some sort of body wound would be okay too.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

That would make it a hulking, pink zombie then. :wink:
EDIT: And now I noticed his right shoulder is closer to his spine than it should... :D
Updating in a minute...
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

My latest attempt, recoloured Eternal's to look more dead. I still like the idea of it having an axe, in this case taken from Thrawn's version.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the proportions right, given that it was sewn together from pieces of several different people!
Attachments
flesh_doll_combo.png
flesh_doll_combo.png (4.08 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

You used the old image. His right shoulder is horribly off it's normal place (which just makes it look bad, nothing else). The colouring is also bit off. With that shade of blue it needs more contrast with light and shadow. [/artistic_comment]

The sketchy axe... Also the location of the mouth...
Your edit basically made my day. :roll:
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Normally when I do sprites I do a large pencil drawing first, scan and shrink it, and use Paint to colour it and some other program to blur the colours and do the transparencies.

I know the shoulder doesn't look right, and I wasn't too sure about the colouring/shading (since I'm used to working in black and white). As for the axe...this is what happens when you use Photo Editor to rotate something! I tried giving it a sharper outline, but I couldn't get it to look right.

I wasn't planning to give it a mouth at all, but after the colour change the bottom half of the head looked too blank. That said, I'm happy to admit that I'm not good at sprites - more than anything, I'm trying to convey how I imagine the creature, in the hope that maybe a better sprite artist (yourself included) will do a better job than me.

And I still don't like the pink skin...
JW

Post by JW »

Those fleh-dolls look like they'd make awesome Undead or Aberration units, but for Vampires they don't look as appropriate. I imagine the unit looking 1 of 2 different ways:

1) looks like a really bulky vampire - wears clothes, but not as spiffy as regular vamps due to his lineman-esque size. Looks angry and intelligent.

2) looks like a large, sewn-together human - may or may not wear much clothing. Visible stitches keeping his body sewn together. Looks a lot like an ogre, but also doesn't look like he is as intelligent due to his reanimation...or perhaps he does.

I originally got the impression that the unit was too big, but if it's starting and ending at level 2 the size might be okay. I'd shoot for something smaller though, because that thing was huge.

I actually think that would make an AWESOME level 3 Walking Corpse though.....which would mean there would need to be a level 2 corpse created as well.... :wink:
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

JW wrote:looks like a large, sewn-together human - may or may not wear much clothing. Visible stitches keeping his body sewn together. Looks a lot like an ogre
That was my first thought too, hence the undead Conan at the top of the page. My first concept drawing for it was actually W A Y better - sadly, A4 pencil drawings aren't usable as unit images...
JW

Post by JW »

Fiach Dubh wrote:
JW wrote:looks like a large, sewn-together human - may or may not wear much clothing. Visible stitches keeping his body sewn together. Looks a lot like an ogre
That was my first thought too, hence the undead Conan at the top of the page. My first concept drawing for it was actually W A Y better - sadly, A4 pencil drawings aren't usable as unit images...
If you scan and post the original image I'm sure one of us could use it as inspiration.

I personally have been using people's drawings as inspirations for spriting lately. I've been practicing on my own and haven't posted any of it though. So yeah, go ahead and post it.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Here it is, sorry for my handwriting!

EDIT: Removed the attachment, for some reason it appeared at double the original size - which was too big to begin with. Link: http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o182 ... oncept.jpg