Vampires

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Best way to make a good looking unit is to:
1. Plan the work. (I usually pass this... :oops: I'm such a bad example...)
2. Launch your graphics program.
3. Start drawing it from an empty image and using only basic tools and no "cheating tools" (like scale or rotate) and that's just about it. :D

I almost never sketch the work I post here. But I do use ye olde pencil and paper for sketching and I do draw a lot of these images.
The thing is, 90% of em fit under my thumb and I draw 'em in less than 3 minutes. :roll:

Here's a hulking undead for you and an example of my sketch.
I'll start working on a bulky bloodsucker as soon as I get the yeti defensive done. :wink:
Attachments
I might make a faction out of these guys some day... ...
I might make a faction out of these guys some day... ...
mayarf.PNG (32.95 KiB) Viewed 5054 times
Tweak as you please.
Tweak as you please.
hulking_undead.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Eternal wrote:Best way to make a good looking unit is to:
1. Plan the work...2. Launch your graphics program...
3. Start drawing it from an empty image and using only basic tools
I've tried working that way, it doesn't work for me - for some reason, whatever artistic ability I might have vanishes completely when there's a mouse in my hand. Usually, I just do portraits, by manipulating my sketch to create sharp lines and blocks of solid shading, then recolouring it in Paint - I find it very hard to draw anything entirely digitally, it's much easier for me to 'rework' a paper drawing.

I had planned to do a smaller sketch based on the big one, but I ababndoned it when I realised that far better sprite-makers than me had their own, very different concepts. I have nothing against your sprite, by the way (now that it's not pink any more :P ), it's just different from what I first imagined.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

A question:
Would the new bulky vampire (or something like that) be flesh-artisans advancement or a new unit?
JW

Post by JW »

Eternal wrote:A question:
Would the new bulky vampire (or something like that) be flesh-artisans advancement or a new unit?
It would be a new unit. You have some artistic flexibilty since there's a few different ways the unit could work:
I imagine the unit looking 1 of 2 different ways:

1) looks like a really bulky vampire - wears clothes, but not as spiffy as regular vamps due to his lineman-esque size. Looks angry and intelligent.

2) looks like a large, sewn-together human - may or may not wear much clothing. Visible stitches keeping his body sewn together. Looks a lot like an ogre, but also doesn't look like he is as intelligent due to his reanimation...or perhaps he does.
For that hulking undead image, I'm really thinking of using him as a level 3 zombie. I mean, how cool would it be to get a level 0 zombie to turn inot that thing?!!
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

I don't know what's with the hulk in everythings names... oh well. :)
I made mix of 'em two ways you were thinking and the result was a fat vampire. Maybe he drank too much blood?
Here's a few choices. Pick a fav or mix one yourself. :D The one with toohy mouth combined with the one with nasty eyes might look nice, sadly I had no time to check out myself.
Level ups I can't make right now, for there's plenty of Christmas stuff on me not to mention those directional attacks of the mainline zombies. :(
I'm starting to fear I won't be able to make them for 1.2 :o
Attachments
blood-hulks.zip
Here 'em pics seperated.
(11.53 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Here 'em all for eezy looking + cut and pasting.
Here 'em all for eezy looking + cut and pasting.
blood-hulks.png (8.14 KiB) Viewed 4949 times
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Eternal wrote:I don't know what's with the hulk in everythings names... oh well. :)
I made mix of 'em two ways you were thinking and the result was a fat vampire. Maybe he drank too much blood?
Here's a few choices. Pick a fav or mix one yourself. :D The one with toohy mouth combined with the one with nasty eyes might look nice, sadly I had no time to check out myself.
Level ups I can't make right now, for there's plenty of Christmas stuff on me not to mention those directional attacks of the mainline zombies. :(
I'm starting to fear I won't be able to make them for 1.2 :o
Those kick ass! I like the 3rd best(the one with the teeth).
JW

Post by JW »

HOLY CRAP!@!!

Dude, those are awesome. :shock: :shock:

Thanks!! 8) I think I'm going to use the one in the upper left, but right now I'm dling them all. 8)

Wowowow. I need to get my primary computer fixed asap.
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Bit of a small axe for a blood 'hulk' don't ya think? I can only notice because the rest of him is so awesome that the blade doesn't live up to the custom art^^ (that is the axe from the undead fighter, right?)
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Just another idea I had...

Is there any way that you(the brilliant programmers) could program vampires to be double chaotic? Having even more benefits for night, and have more penalties for day?

This would represent Vampires being the masters of the night they are, but also representing that they are SEVERELY weakened in the daytime(in most stories they die/catch on fire when they set foot in the sun more or less).

Setting them at regular chaotic would do this to some degree, but I think they're more sensitive to light then a bandit, don't you? =P
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Code: Select all

#define ABILITY_CHILDREN_OF_THE_NIGHT
[leadership]
id=COTN
value=25
cumulative=yes
name= _ "children of the night"
description= _ "Children of the Night:
Vampires are strongly nocturnal creatures, and while they are immensely powerful at night, daylight greatly reduces their strength."
affect_self=yes
[filter_self]
[filter_location]
time_of_day=chaotic
[/filter_location]
[/filter_self]
[/leadership]
[leadership]
value=-25
cumulative=yes
affect_self=yes
[filter_self]
[filter_location]
time_of_day=lawful
[/filter_location]
[/filter_self]
[/leadership]
#enddef
I've not tested this, but I know the first half will work, giving any creature with this ability a 25% bonus to damage during the night (which should stack with standard Leadership, if you use it. The second half is supposed to give an equivalent penalty during the day, but it might not work - I don't know whether you can use negative values for Leadership or not.

Failing that, you could do it as a weapon special instead, which would then have to be used on every attack that is meant to be affected this way:

Code: Select all

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_NOCTURNAL
[damage]
id=nocturnal
name= _ "nocturnal"
description= _ "Nocturnal:
This attack causes 25% more damage at night, but 25% less during the day."
multiply=1.25
[filter_self]
[filter_location]
time_of_day=chaotic
[/filter_location]
[/filter_self]
[/damage]
[damage]
multiply=0.75
[filter_self]
[filter_location]
time_of_day=lawful
[/filter_location]
[/filter_self]
[/damage]
#enddef
This also might not work, as I'm not sure whether you can use decimal multipliers.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

In not every story do Vampires die in the light of the sun. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, Dracula is turned into a mortal in the sunlight, but still possesses his full strength (That of twenty men).
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
JW

Post by JW »

Typhon wrote:Just another idea I had...

Is there any way that you(the brilliant programmers) could program vampires to be double chaotic? Having even more benefits for night, and have more penalties for day?

This would represent Vampires being the masters of the night they are, but also representing that they are SEVERELY weakened in the daytime(in most stories they die/catch on fire when they set foot in the sun more or less).

Setting them at regular chaotic would do this to some degree, but I think they're more sensitive to light then a bandit, don't you? =P
Hmm...I dunno...I'll have to think about this. Also, Fiach, the solution is far simpler than you're making it. ;)
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

It is?

Off the top of my head, the only other way would be to modify the definitions for alignments, times of day, or both. I haven't looked at either of those options, so there might be something there - you might simply be able to define a new alignment, or otherwise double the effect of being Chaotic.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Remember the rules of KISS.

Also, I like the idea of the vampires getting a better bonus at night, and a great disadvantage during the day, provides a whole new tactic to the game.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

Fiach Dubh wrote:It is?

Off the top of my head, the only other way would be to modify the definitions for alignments, times of day, or both. I haven't looked at either of those options, so there might be something there - you might simply be able to define a new alignment, or otherwise double the effect of being Chaotic.
I believe that is exactly how you do it.

Also, if everyone really likes the idea I might implement it and see how it goes.