Extended Era revived - version 36

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

highhole

Post by highhole »

OK, I give in.... The images are at

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... y=date[url] ,too.
You need to copy the whole folder only in your home folder, and copy then the images from there into the "/desert-elves/"
Error: no bug found
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Or the extended era for 1.1.7 can just include the units from UtBS, since that's a mainline campaign and can reasonably be mentioned as a requirement.
highhole

Post by highhole »

You mean you need to include the .cfg files (the unit files) in the era only and the computer encroachs to the unit images, the attack icons and so on?
(That would be great!)
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I feel i have enough faction from now (12+1 is already a lot !), and i feel desert elves look too similar to the wood elves.
The Knalgan aliance is only there to help balancing against default era. We are balancing two of them (Chaos & Kalifa) against default so they might be included in default or a new era when they will have enough graphics.
highhole

Post by highhole »

There could be a downloadable addon for the extended era, with some more factions... :) .
The Extended extended Era... (Maybe it would need a better name..)
<X> Pillager

Post by <X> Pillager »

What are the Kalifa? I've never heard of them... is it a new name for the saracens?
I can be stupid too! Thus, I hate myself. ;)
(I'm turin on vacation)
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Yes, the Saracens are now called "Kalifa"
<X> Pillager

Post by <X> Pillager »

OK.

BTW, I think the very nature of the extended era makes worrying about how many factions you have... stupid. The purpose of the era isn't, or at least shouldn't be, to balance all of the factions against each other - that's already really hard for only 6 factions in the default era. And the factions have nothing tying each other together. I would say just finish what you started - an era that has all the factions in it. Include all of the default era factions, the imperial era factions, the era of myth factions, etc.

I mean, right now, what exactly is the point of the extended era?
I can be stupid too! Thus, I hate myself. ;)
(I'm turin on vacation)
JW

Post by JW »

I think it should remain balanced, but I agree that you probably shouldn't worry about the number of factions other than for the fact that it WILL be harder to balance.
highhole

Post by highhole »

<X> Pillager wrote:OK.

BTW, I think the very nature of the extended era makes worrying about how many factions you have... stupid. The purpose of the era isn't, or at least shouldn't be, to balance all of the factions against each other - that's already really hard for only 6 factions in the default era. And the factions have nothing tying each other together. I would say just finish what you started - an era that has all the factions in it. Include all of the default era factions, the imperial era factions, the era of myth factions, etc.

I mean, right now, what exactly is the point of the extended era?
You mean there should be much as possible factions in this era?
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well the Extended era was (and is still) my main experimental era. My goal is to experiment a few things i find interesting gameplaywise.
For example at the begining it had lvl 3 leaders and lvl 0/lvl 1 recruits, but i found it was less interesting that default setup (ie lvl 2 leaders).

Well i started by merging several default+1 faction eras into one era. When i wanted to try another faction i found interesting i simply added it to my era.

To add some extra flavour to the default factions i also added a few extra units to their factions (L3 outlaws, goblin rouser (which wasn't mainline yet), wose shaman, the dwarf runesmith line, chocobone...).

Since there were enough outlaws to make an entire faction i also tried to separate the dwarves and the outlaws into 2 different factions. It took a while to find the nedded dwarves units, but i succeded.

Of course a lot of these factions were/are still badly balanced, so we try to focus on some and balance them against the ones known to be already +/- balanced, ie default factions...

It is true that it has already a lot of factions. That is why i would replace an existing faction by another rather than adding a new one. From now i prefer to improve the existing (balance, animations, ....) rather than adding new stuff.
highhole

Post by highhole »

So, you're going to make a stable version (1.0.0) of the era?
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

If people is interested here is some things where you can help:
- names: better unit names, better attack names (especially the dark elf mages ranged attack name suck ("magic")), more male/female names for the units of a race...
- attack icons: i don't need a lot, but they are always welcomed
- i'll probably use fmunoz's glaive icon for the Aragwaith Slayer
- a slam icon for the dwarvish wagons (and the drake slam icon don't work here). This is probably the only one i really need.
- a bomb icon for the dwarvish copters (through the "magic missile" icon works nice here)
- a blaze icon for the chaos demonologist infernal storm attack could be nice
- a composite bow (possibly with a fire arrow variation) could be nice for the Kalifa faction
- some oriental variation for the swords could be nice for the kalifa faction
- some hellish variation for the swords could be nice too for the chaos faction
- a deathlance icon could be nice (through normal lance works already well)
- a better astral blade icon would be nice for the Outlaw Shadow Lord
- a runic hammer icon for the dwarvish runemaster line could be nice (the normal hammer works well).
- other i forgot. Some more race-specific set of weapons are of course welcomed
- unit frames:
2 units don't have their own base frame :
- the dwarvish flamethrower currently steals its graphics from the thunderguard
- the kalifa falcon & elder falcon share the same frames
there is also a lot of units with very few frames
- balancing:
reports of balance problems, suggestions are always welcomed
Last edited by Noyga on July 23rd, 2006, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

highhole wrote:So, you're going to make a stable version (1.0.0) of the era?
Not in the near future (if i ever release a "stable" version), there is too much work for this.
But i'm trying to make more polished versions.
highhole

Post by highhole »

I think th runic hammer icon, is existing already...

Should "If people is interested here is some era where you can help: " mean If someone is interested, here are some thinks where you can help out on this era: ??