Extended Era revived - version 36

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I don't know if leadership does that, btw i noticed a problem with steadfast in every era, it causes OOSes when a steadfast unit is attacking/defending. Btw it usually doesn't screw the game.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

v 0.3.0 :
I changed the chaos mage main attack to cold, and gave them leadership to the higher levels according to Neorice's orginal idea. The cold damages would probably help to balance this faction vs drakes. I'm not sure the leadership will stay.
I played a bit with graphics and made some missile frames for them from the Shyde's magical ttack. I also added Pickside's Dark missile icon for their ranged attack.
I also reduced a bit the Wagons resistance.

Known issues :
- Everything is not balanced (especially the Chaos faction which is way unbalanced). I have done almost no balancing yet.
- The Aragwaith faction is a mess, there is some unused and incomplete units

About balancing, if i could have some feedback from players, about the current problems and some suggestions to fix it, this would really help, thanks.

What i plan to do now :
- Make a daemon race, just to have cool names for them.
- Make custom movetypes (ie movement cost + defenses + resistances) for daemons, mutations and hounds. The daemons won't probably change much.
- Tweak the chaos faction to make it more balanced
- Cleanup the Aragwaithi. Some animations are broken and there is some unused/broken units
- There is probably something to do to the Sidhe Warrior spirit
- The Aragwaithi seem a little too weak, especially their scout. More HP to their scout ?
- Switch the leader levels to level 2 ... I'm not sure to do that btw.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Noyga,

1) What about Ilikeprogramming and Assassin's Dark Elves? I still have them on my hard-drive, and all they need is to compile them into newest version. They form quite a nice faction after all.

2) What about default faction extra units? Dwarves are done, but there are still Undead riders branch roaming down the net, some lvl3 ghoul graphics?

3) Maybe Extended Era could be treated as a testing ground for new units and factions? I know, they hardly can get into mainline. Another issue is that with Extended Era one could measure popularity of custom factions.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I think that Turin has done a major clean up of the Argawaith in the newest imperial era versions (they seemed that way when I glanced at them not long ago).
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

@Ranger M:
About the Aragwaithi it's still a mess in The Imperial Era v0.10 (lastest relased version AFAIK) :
For example, there is a unit, the Hunter that is available as a leader, but no recruitble units can advance to it. This unit can advance to 2 units, and one of these is missing :(

There was some also some problems with the animations (at least for v0.9, i haven't checked in v0.10 since i upgraded recently, but this was probably the cleanup), a few animation frame were missing or incorrecty wired.

@Alks:
1) For the Dark Elves i also have them on my disk ;) I will probably add them in the future since they were initially in (before i relased anything).
2) Every default faction except the loyalists (that do already have a lot of units) have some extra units :
- The Elves have the Wose Shaman
- The Northerners, the Troll Shaman and the Orcish Shaman
- The Undead have the Ancient Lich and the Chocobone
- The drakes have the Armageddon Drake. I Might add a few extra saurian and regal drakes in the future
I think it is enough, i don't want to denature too much these factions.
The Dwarves and Outlaws have a lot of extra units, because it was necessary, and there is probably some room for that in the Dwarves faction.
3) Welll this was initially my testing ground Era ;)
Btw there is already a lot of factions in my era, so i don't want to include everything.
Here is the current list of factions that i might probably add :
- The Dark elves
- The Saracens
and ... That's all.
Btw i would love to have an nice insect faction, but i need at least good graphics.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I'm going to release a new version soon (as soon as my computer is back on the Internet, which should be soon).
Here the kind of things i plan to do :
- add the Saracens
- try rebalance the Chaos faction
- cleanup and rebalance a little the Aragwaith

If someone have good suggestions, be my guest :)
highhole

Post by highhole »

wow! I like your era very much! I tried to create a era like this on my own, but I quit the project when I started to add units which are not in the mainline-game :( ...

Keep on working :!: :!: :D :D

I have found a little bug:
Attachments
bug.png
bug.png (56.46 KiB) Viewed 6373 times
highhole

Post by highhole »

Here are three new or old chaos images:
I removed the black lines.
Attachments
chaos-armorer.png
chaos-armorer.png (2.89 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
chaos-flesh-hound.png
chaos-flesh-hound.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
chaos-warp-hound.png
chaos-warp-hound.png (2.87 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

You said that youd appreciate insect faction Noyga, true? Well, maybe my arachnoids would fit? They are now at status 0 but i will work on them. They arent straight insect faction, tough.

Or maybe Myrmeko, i am planning to work on them when i finish Arachno - those will be clearly insects, but i dont think they can be released before this year December. Arachno might be ready before holidays end, or if i will find somebody to help me out with graphics, it might even be earlier.

There were several ideas of daemon factions. I myself was thinking about it too - my idea was that you cant recruit Daemons, only Cultists and Implings etc, and Cultist advance to Daemonologists who have the same ability as undeads - when they kill enemy, they summon very good daemon unit. Daemons start at lvl of 2, and wth lot of exp they advance to lvl 4. Different advances of cultist can summon different daemins, but standart is that they arent very powerful. Daemons are. Why lvl 2 and 4? I want to have big upkeep for daemons, for player to have something to spend money on. So, could you explain how your daemons will work?
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Here comes v0.4 ... I hadn't time for rebalancing :(
- I switched to lvl 2 leaders just like the Default Era
- I added a new faction : the Saracens (v0.1.6) : this is an very early version, still under active developement
- Some cleanups

For the next version i'll try to tweak the chaos faction stats, and possibly a few Sidhe, Dwarvish and Aragwaith units
Lesser Python

Rebalancing?

Post by Lesser Python »

Rebalancing? As in playing the faction over and over on different maps, making minor tweaks to the factions until they all balance?

I'm up for that.
I meant to be asleep by 10. It's now 3AM. The factions of Wesnoth need work, and I am therefore happy. - Lesser Python
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I am planning to :
- make a demon race for the Demons & mutaions lines and possibly one movetype for each line. I'll need to make a list of demon names, any help is welcomed
- my dwarf flamethrower need new sprites, dunno if i'll make some
- rebalance everything, any help is of course welcomed :)

For the rebalancing :
- for the Saracens :
I'll let the devs work ;)
- for the Sidhes :
While my version has diverged from other Sidhes (Imperial Era & Wild Elf Era), i'll still look at Oreb 's modifications in the Wild Elves thread.
Currenlty i find the Warrior Spirit underpowered
- for the Aragwaithi :
Currently i found the Scout too weak.
- for the Dwarves :
I need to test more deeply my new units
- for the Chaos :
The mutations are quite overpowered
I find high level berserkers overpowered
The 2 branches of berserkers are too similar, they need more differentiation
There is probably something to do with the Invaders too
RIPLIB problem with the scout line
Possibly some changes on the other units as well :)
- for the other faction i don't plan any changes
highhole

Post by highhole »

A new version of Extended Era :D .
I like it!

Here are some bugs and mistakes: :(

-I think you forgot the "Saracens Falcon" image.
-The Aragwaith Pikeman has an attack " spear pierce 0-2 ..."! Maybe it should be "spear pierce 13-2 ...?
-When aragwaiths fights again chaos sometimes the aragwaiths or chaos unit couldn't attack back, although they had the right attack.
Last edited by highhole on May 13th, 2006, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

highhole wrote:A new version of Extended Era :D .
Good work!

Here are some bugs and mistakes: :(

-I think you forgot the "Saracens Falcon" image.
Currently there is no "Saracens Falcon" image.
highhole wrote:-The Aragwaith Pikeman has an attack " spear pierce 0-2 ..."! Maybe it should be "spear pierce 13-2 ...?
That's stange, i have 17-2 for the Aragwaith Pikeman and it works well here.
What version do you use ?
highhole wrote:-When aragwaiths fights again chaos sometimes the aragwaiths or chaos unit couldn't attack back, although they had the right attack.
It might be related to your above problem...
highhole

Post by highhole »

Wesnoth 1.1.2 :(
Extended Era: 0.4.0 :)
I've look at the the unit file:

Code: Select all

name=spear
		type=pierce
		range=melee
		damage=17
		number=2
		icon=attacks/spear.png