Extended Era revived - version 36

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

About Wayfarer's dwarf portrait in progress, i figured while playng that his face really reminded me the Runesmith, Runemaster, Arcanister line.

Thanks to Sapient i now know how to make unit-specific sets of traits.
So i plan to :
- give the dextrous trait to every elvish unit (ie Sidhe elves and Dark elves, Wood elves are already done) that have a ranged, physical attack : Dark elf Hunters & Sidhe elf Wanderers
- remove the strong trait to units that don't have a melee attack : Dwarvish Gyrocopters and Dark elf Wizards
- perharps replace strong by dextrous for the Dwarvish Gyrocopters ? I'm not sure.
What do you think ?
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Image ready cutted

The size limitation is a sin I get headaches if I see this. As usual free for use. Actual it is more a axe thrower but the cutted version fits all.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truper

Post by Truper »

I like the idea of dextrous being applied applied to the other Elves - it gives them all something in common. I like the idea much less when applied to Gyrocopters, although I suppose it could represent a particularly skilled pilot...
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

v0.17 :
- Gyrocopters and other units without melee attack no longer get the strong trait
- Elvish units (sidhe, dark elves) with a non magical ranged attack and Chaos daemons can get the dextrous trait

I don't know if it is compatible with v0.16 series...

Btw i find the (quick, resilent, intelligent) set of trait quite boring for the gyrocopters.
Maybe an extra 'armored' possible trait for dwarvish vehicules ('copters, 'wheels) would be a good idea ?
Where armored = improved resistances (+5% or +10%, i don't know...)
What do you think ?
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
JW

Post by JW »

Noyga wrote:Btw i find the (quick, resilent, intelligent) set of trait quite boring for the gyrocopters.
Maybe an extra 'armored' possible trait for dwarvish vehicules ('copters, 'wheels) would be a good idea ?
Where armored = improved resistances (+5% or +10%, i don't know...)
What do you think ?
I like it. What would it do, +10% to blade and pierce?
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well my first idea was +X% to all, btw i don't really have an opinion for the amount of X and whether i should limitate the improvement to blade,impact and pierce resistances or not.
Or perharps something stronger like +15% but with -1 movement ?
JW

Post by JW »

Noyga wrote:Or perharps something stronger like +15% but with -1 movement ?
Now that's interesting. No trait decreases movement yet - that'd be pretty cool!

I don't have the numbers for the unit with me, otherwise I'd throw out another suggestion.
Nova

Extended RPG

Post by Nova »

Fun era - I've enjoyed it a lot.

The other night, I investigated the RPG option (which I'm pretty sure came bundled with the Extended Era when I downloaded it -- my apologies if I'm wrong). My friends and I had a pretty good time with it -- running and hiding certainly became a larger factor than normal.

The problem is this: there's a wide selection of possible units to play with, and some of them are awful. In one game, "Cristina" had the scorpion, and was not only underpowered, but completely unable to level up. My suggestion would be to change the mix of units, only incorporating those that have at least lvl 2 forms. Actually, it'd probably be best if everyone had the option of advancing to lvl 3, provided that they're good enough. :wink:

New users will figure out, in time, which unit they want to play with. It just might remove some of the frustration if the un-upgradable ones didn't appear as options right away. It's not as fun to start off working towards an AMLA.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Good catch ! I Haven't thought of random selection in this era.
Well some of the units might be underpowered/overpowered according to the scenario.
For example the sidhe warrior sprit is usually very strong in a lot of scenarios.
I won't remove the scorpion since it might be fun to play a scorpion in some scenarios, but i think i'll remove it from random selection.

So i should remove from random selection :
- level 0 units ?
- units with only one level ?
- berserkers ?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I like playing with a potentially weak random selection, though.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Noyga wrote:Good catch ! I Haven't thought of random selection in this era.
Well some of the units might be underpowered/overpowered according to the scenario.
For example the sidhe warrior sprit is usually very strong in a lot of scenarios.
I won't remove the scorpion since it might be fun to play a scorpion in some scenarios, but i think i'll remove it from random selection.

So i should remove from random selection :
- level 0 units ?
- units with only one level ?
- berserkers ?
Hi! Personally, I'd suggest all of the above. It seems like the biggest thrill in RPG is being able to upgrade and face your foes anew. Lvl 0 units might still be good if they upgrade fast and go beyond lvl 1, but I can't think of any that fit that pattern at the moment. I hadn't even thought about berserkers -- but I imagine they'd fight, and die, and that'd be that.

Some units will still be weaker or stronger, based on the scenario; but that's the luck of the draw!
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

v0.17.1: added the catalan translation ...
If you don't play in catalan, there is no need to update since there is no other change.

I also plan some changes for v0.18 (some already tested, but not released yet) :
- an 'armored' trait for dwarvish vehicules
- remove some leaders from random selection in the RPG era
- various other things like TC the Kalifa unit in the faction selection (i need to do it in the Default+Kalifa era too)
chino2468

Post by chino2468 »

Excuse me, I'm new to this forums but not to the game, and I wanted to report that whenever I'm playing on multiplayer with the Extended Era, the game randomly crashes after a few turns.

I'll try to copy and paste the error.
I re-installed the game from scratch and got the ad-on but still happens the same.

By the way, keep improving the Era, it's great!
(except for the faction with the giant scorpion xD)
xylan

desync problems

Post by xylan »

hi, i run extended era 0.17 on wesnoth 1.1.11 version(linux), here in cybercafe, and we have plenty of problems, especially desynchronisation problems :( thats weird, apparently it would come from sidhes, i really don't know, it only happens in multiplayer games. Is there any bugfixe planned ?
Ludovic L'HOIR | Administrateur Systèmes
Laboratoire VERIMAG CNRS|INPG|UJF
Centre Equation 2, Avenue de Vignate 38610 GIERES
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Desynchronization usually happen when your partner don't have a compatible version.
When you play with v0.17 make sure that your partner have a 0.17.x version (v0.17.0 was released around the 24/10/2006), if not problems like this may happen... Ask them to update if they didn't in the last two weeks.