The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Era of Myths 5.13.0

Post by Astoria »

In my first post in this thread as co-maintainer of the era, I’m glad to announce that

Era of Myths 5.13.0 is now available!

Code: Select all

VERSION 5.13.0
-Celestials
*new sprite for the Divine Knight

-Vampires
*added attack sounds for all units

-Windsong
*new sprite for the Harbinger
It’s available on both the 1.10 and 1.11 add-ons server, as well as SourceForge.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Era of Myths 5.14.0

Post by Astoria »

Big release time!

Era of Myths 5.14.0 is now available!

VERSION 5.14.0
--general changes
*removed the "Core Era of Myths" era
*new era: "Balanced Myths", containing the Celestials, Elementals, Vampires and Windsong

-Celestials
*updated animations and sounds for all units
*Crusader: both attacks +1 damage
*better recruitment AI

-Elementals
*changed trait names to better suit their effects
*changed the Razorbird's and Thunderbird's attacks
*removed the Unicorn's lightbeam attack

-Vampires
*better recruitment AI

-Windsong
*changed the Heretic's and Harbinger's attack icons
It’s available on both the 1.10 and 1.11 add-ons server, as well as SourceForge.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
adr3n

Post by adr3n »

Nicey nicey

Ps: are the therian cats/flying animation when they transform upon walking normal or is it a little dodgy?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

adr3n wrote: Ps: are the therian cats/flying animation when they transform upon walking normal or is it a little dodgy?
They are meant to transform when walking/attacking, yes.
adr3n

Post by adr3n »

yeah i know, sorry about that, but i meant was, when they are walking, they look like they are lagging or something... :lol2:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

adr3n wrote:yeah i know, sorry about that, but i meant was, when they are walking, they look like they are lagging or something... :lol2:
They seem fine to me. Could you clarify what is happening, or maybe post a screenshot.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

bumbadadabum wrote:
adr3n wrote:yeah i know, sorry about that, but i meant was, when they are walking, they look like they are lagging or something... :lol2:
They seem fine to me. Could you clarify what is happening, or maybe post a screenshot.
I think I know what he is talking about. The animations for some of the Therian units seem "jumpy" rather than smooth. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but I've noticed it too.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Temuchin Khan wrote: I think I know what he is talking about. The animations for some of the Therian units seem "jumpy" rather than smooth. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but I've noticed it too.
If it seems jumpy it might be because the animations just aren't smooth (1 frame). Coding-wise there seems to be nothing wrong with the units.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

i was surprised to see Unicorns listed under Elementals. they always seemed more Celestial in essence, in all the other literature i have encountered them. is there a description of the Era? the online reference doesnt seem to have one http://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/Era_of_My ... .12.0.html (and also doesnt seem to be synced)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

FYI, I've split up not_living into unpoisonable, undrainable and unplagueable for 1.11.2, so you can eventually get rid of the workaround.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Will devlings be added to balanced version of era of myths? :o
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Slagar

Post by Slagar »

Just how unbalanced is the non-balanced era? I really like the Devlings and Warg but don't want to totally unbalance my game to play with them. I'm also curious if they're totally broken if used with the default factions as well, I'm sure it's unbalanced but I'm wondering if it's to an extent where it's more or less unplayable.

I looked through the thread but couldn't find an answer for my question.
Mu

Post by Mu »

The "jumpy" effect of the animations is caused by the "offset" attribute of the [frame] label (inside [movement_anim]).

Part of Cat Therian code:

[movement_anim]
        [frame]
            apply_to=movement
            offset="0~1:150,0~1:150,0~1:150,0~1:150,0~1:150,0~1:150,0~1:150"
            begin=0
            end=100
            image="therians/cat-moving.png"
        [/frame]
    [/movement_anim]
If you remove or comment this line you still have only one frame, no animation, but the unit moves smoothly through the terrain.

If you leave this line, the unit appears to be constantly teleporting across the road.

I don't know what was the purpose of the offset line, but maybe it worked better in a previous version of wesnoth.

I have found the problem in the Cat Therian and the Falcon Therian. BTW, the falcon needs "gender=female" to be added.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Yeah that might cause it. I'll fix that when I get back to EoM. I honestly haven't done anything lately
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I decided I'd take a look at how the EoM has been doing since I stopped working on it. When I downloaded it and tried to start a multiplayer match it sent be back to the main menu saying "unknown unit type random". I was on an 8 player map with one side per faction and a random one.

As a side note looking back through a couple recent changelogs I think you'll find that the crusaders will be hard to balance with the extra attack damage. The Era has a lot of arcane weak factions and having a cheap strong arcane attack that can be buffed by inspire, constant daylight, and the strong trait and that comes with healing will be hard on a lot of factions. When I left the vampires were having a hard enough time facing celestials when faced with a defensive pierce unit, arcane and fire attacking support and illuminates. Even when not facing arcane weak attackers crusaders still had their uses.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."