The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jester

Post by Jester »

JW wrote:
Jester wrote:Uhm, both the Werewolves and Vampires have 4 recruits, isn't that enough?
Do the Vamps have 4? I guess 4 is fine if they branch well. I thought Vamps only had 2! :shock: Also, for the Werewolves, I wrote that out of concern for damage type variety. If you can work on this with still having 4 units that shouldn't be a big problem.
Maybe you should read the Vampire thread :wink: I have posted a unit tree there (in my first post I believe. I only have art for 2 lines (base art).
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
JW

Post by JW »

Jester wrote: Maybe you should read the Vampire thread :wink: I have posted a unit tree there (in my first post I believe. I only have art for 2 lines (base art).
Yeah, I saw that when I stopped and didn't look for just pictures. :P
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Well, you know my opinion on the elementals (I did suggest them afterall), but if they they do go in, then you'll need to work out how to use them, at the moment they have loads of units, in about six factions. You can either make them into seperate factions (at which point they may need some fleshing out) or, you could have them as one faction, but the leader that you choose affects the units that yoiu can recruit (so if you pick one you can choose fire and earth, and if you pick another, fire and air, etc)
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

That is, in fact, exactly how the Summoner era works, RM. But that was all predefined... Do you want to predefine some eight or so possible factions, or are you going to try to create a dynamic recruitment list that changes according to your leader?
JW

Post by JW »

There are 6 elements in the Summoners era: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Life, and Death. Death is represented by Undead units, Earth uses 1 new unit and the Mudcrawler, and the other 4 have 2 new units each with 2 levels. If these guys were crammed into one faction there would be 12 level 1 recruits not counting the 2 non-elemental units that were recruitable across all Summoners era factions.

Pros and Cons of adding Elementals to EOM

Pros:
Art is already done - and it's quite good.
Stats are already written
Lots of units to choose from

Cons:
Too many units for a reasonable recruit list
Units stop at level 2

Possibilities:
1) Add the faction with variable recruit lists based on leader
2) Shorten the recruit list
3) Do not add the faction
4) ???

If you guys think it should be added I think the best option would be to simplify the recruits down to 1 unit per element. This would give a solid 6 recruits, though level 3s would possibly need to be added to some if not all of them. There is art for a level 3 fire elemental, so only stats would need to be created.

Alternatively, only the 4 worldly elements could be used and a recruit list of 8 could be made. Levels 3s might not be necessary then as longevity would be traded for flexibility.

You can download the era to look at the units and stats from this RangerM post: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 516#144516
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

JW wrote:4) ???
similar to 2, shorten the list, but combine some of the current lines, I've always prefered branching lines, and some of the ones can obviously be put together.

example:

fire wisp -- fire ghost -- something better (or something before the firs ghost)
-- brazier creation -- living furnace -- ?lava beast? (the art is there)

water tidal -- undine
-- ice crab -- hard shell

mystic puppet -- manequin
-- unicorn
-- vine beast -- vine tiger

magic servant

windherder -- zephyr

razor bird -- thunder bird

as you can see they don't fit together perfectly, but with a little stretching, and one or two additional units to patch it up where neccisary (suddenly the undine becomes less powerful that the hard shell, and the fire ghost is worse than the living furnace, both sets of which should be equal) but this is only a little more work than the L3 units that would need adding, and some units become L3, saving on art (although not stats and balencing)

of course, the two wind lines, and the magic servant would need fleshing out, but they would have needed it anyway.
JW

Post by JW »

Ranger M: I like that idea. Could you organize the current .cfgs to be 1.1.4 compatible with your setup? I'll get my modified Shifter and Undead .cfgs up and we can have a testable era with the Werewolves as well and start moving this era along.

----

For the Undead I was thinking of adding a unit like the Bodak in DnD:

Unit
Level 1 Chaotic
28 hp
5 moves
Chilling Grasp 8-2 Cold
Gaze of Death 40-1 Shadow ranged 10% chance to hit

Unit2
Level 2
36 hp
5 moves
Chilling Grasp 8-3 Cold
Gaze of Death 55-1 Shadow ranged 10% CTH

Unit3
Level 3
44 hp
5 moves
Chilling Grasp 9-4 Cold
Gaze of Death 70-1 Shadow ranged 10% CTH

Thoughts?
Last edited by JW on June 3rd, 2006, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Dang...that Gaze of Death would be awesome, when it hit, but it would probably miss all the time and be &@#^ annoying. And if it did hit it would P.O the enemy. You are basically gonna have one guy happy and one guy pissed whenever you use it...like the dwarf thunder.
hey.
JW

Post by JW »

Flametrooper wrote:Dang...that Gaze of Death would be awesome, when it hit, but it would probably miss all the time and be &@#^ annoying. And if it did hit it would P.O the enemy. You are basically gonna have one guy happy and one guy pissed whenever you use it...like the dwarf thunder.
Yeah, that's why he's got a melee attack too. :wink:

He's mainly just there to be a terror to the opposition, and a possible heavy unit killer. I'm redoing the Ghosts lines stats some, and I'm changing the DA damage type to Shadow, so the faction will play differently (not to mention they will face different opponents as well).

-edit-

I'm dropping their insane Holy weakness as well to something like 50-70% extra damage. This will depend heavily on how they balance with the Celestials.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

JW wrote:Ranger M: I like that idea. Could you organize the current .cfgs to be 1.1.4 compatible with your setup? I'll get my modified Shifter and Undead .cfgs up and we can have a testable era with the Werewolves as well and start moving this era along.
Here you go, I've added three new units (which will need art, but that should be reletively simple), and changed the .cfg files so that they advance correctly, and are registered at the right level. However I haven't touched the stats, as I'm not very good at balencing (all of the new units are complete copies of the L2 unit below them, and some of the L1 and L2 units have become L2 and L3 units, so they'll need updating too.)

I hope that you can take .tars (tell me If you can't, and I'll send it as something else)
JW

Post by JW »

No problems. Thanks.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm... it seems to me like the era of myths is gravitating more towards a whole new world, not located inside Wesnoth. Especially with the Celestials, which appear to be angels, which are expressly prohibited in Wesnoth official... opinions on this? Personally, I think it would be fine to put these guys in another universe.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Unless i find a way to circumvent the naming conventions. I don't like to use too common words such as Angel, because i feel it restraints a new, clear view on the final observer.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:Hm... it seems to me like the era of myths is gravitating more towards a whole new world, not located inside Wesnoth. Especially with the Celestials, which appear to be angels, which are expressly prohibited in Wesnoth official... opinions on this? Personally, I think it would be fine to put these guys in another universe.
I think some of the factions could ift in Wesnoth. My original intent was to get the Shifters in mainline (hasn't really panned out), and I still hope to make that campaign I've been talking about which would link them to the rest of the humans in Wesnoth.

The Werewolves and Vamps I think were going to be worked in near the Shifters furhter south - further away from Wesnoth, and the Aberrations could theoretically be anywhere with dark/evil magic. I kinda see the Elementals being the same way - could go anywhere.

I don't really see the Celestials fitting in, though they could (they're not supposed to actually be angels, but like Cuyo said, how else can you name an angel-like unit?).
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

JW wrote:I don't really see the Celestials fitting in, though they could (they're not supposed to actually be angels, but like Cuyo said, how else can you name an angel-like unit?).
Aren't they just these spirit things (like the elementals really) who have sided with these zealot type people who have been driven to being desperate by natural disaster X (this was my impression from what I have remembered from their intro, although I haven't checked)