The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Tomsik wrote:I can't play EoM in 1.1.5, when I try to start game I get for example this:
"Unknown unit type 'Warrior Wolf'"
This may be the source of the problem, it might not be 1.1.5 compatible.
I didn't even know 1.1.5 was out yet :roll:
I'm downloading 1.1.5 now so I'll test EoM in it.
Of course as I'm a windows user there may be some case error I won't find. :roll:
Moroder

Post by Moroder »

littlebeast wrote:Of course as I'm a windows user there may be some case error I won't find. :roll:
Aye, already playing the elementals at 1.1.5. Windows, of course. 8)
Religion is nothing. I'm all about lifestyle. Mine is Christ, and I'll always respect yours. :wink:
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

littlebeast wrote:
Tomsik wrote:I can't play EoM in 1.1.5, when I try to start game I get for example this:
"Unknown unit type 'Warrior Wolf'"
This may be the source of the problem, it might not be 1.1.5 compatible.
I didn't even know 1.1.5 was out yet :roll:
I'm downloading 1.1.5 now so I'll test EoM in it.
Of course as I'm a windows user there may be some case error I won't find. :roll:
Hmm, no it doesn't seem to be a Wesnoth version problem. It worked fine for me. (although the first time I tried, it was weird and wouldn't let me attack, but that seems to be gone now. I don't know what that was, but I choose to ignore it.)
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Do the Shifters need a mage image? I made this today, 100% myself, from scratch, no copy-pasting or editing of other images, and it's my first try at that. So it probably looks like crap. So tell me how I need to improve it and I'll edit it accordingly.
(P.S I'm not sure why I made him wear purple. It just felt like the right color.)
Attachments
old_wise_mageguy.png
old_wise_mageguy.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 6452 times
Last edited by Flametrooper on June 11th, 2006, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hey.
toms

Post by toms »

Two tips: Make him a little more fat.

And outline the hands so you can see them clearly.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

He's a mage, he's supposed to be skinny. :P
Anyways, I updated the image, since the changes I made were too minor to warrant posting a new one. Space saving.
hey.
JW

Post by JW »

Thanks for working on it, but the Shifters have grown accustomed to desert, jungle, and swamp terrains where they live, and they philosophicaly try to fit in with the surrounding nature (one reason why they shift into the reatures they do). Because of this they aren't likely to wear purple, but probably more earth tones (maybe with a TC accentuant.)

That's a simple fix. ANother thing about the warmer climates the Shifters live in is that their clothing is more open than say Loyalist gear. Shortening the robe and making it hang only in the middle in front and back would probably be more appropriate for their garb.

Also, specific to this particular image, his face is very blank - there are no eyes or nose, etc, with which to distinguish the character. This isn't good as each unit should have a little bit of personality to them that makes you recognize them immediately.

So, if you can take these principles and apply them to your next attept that would be greatly appreciated as well. That's not bad for a first try. Good luck on your next attempt! :)
Jester

Post by Jester »

Flametrooper wrote:Do the Shifters need a mage image? I made this today, 100% myself, from scratch, no copy-pasting or editing of other images, and it's my first try at that. So it probably looks like crap. So tell me how I need to improve it and I'll edit it accordingly.
(P.S I'm not sure why I made him wear purple. It just felt like the right color.)
The only thing that really looks like crap to me is the face and the bottom of the robe.
The face is just blanc, so that's obvious. The end of the robe doesn't 'flow'(lack of the right words) in a natural way.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Jester wrote:The face is just blanc, so that's obvious. The end of the robe doesn't 'flow'(lack of the right words) in a natural way.
I think it looks like the end of the robe is resting on the ground :P
His right shoe (his right) is what looks weird to me.Makes it look more like a walking than a standing sprite.
Well, and the face, obviously. I think the hair needs a bit of outline too.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Okay, i made him wear brown robes with green bits, he's now the first mage to wear cami. :P I gave him a nose and a moustache, hope it's visible, and tried to make the face look less blank...but most wenoth faces are blank. It's a face, there's not much room for uniqueness.
Couldn't figure out what to do with the robe, so I just made it shorter and made his boots taller. JW or Jester could you post a hack, or at least something with red guidelines, to show what you mean? I don't get what it is you're saying; the robe seems fine to me.
Attachments
Still not sure about that robe...
Still not sure about that robe...
old_wise_mageguy.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
hey.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Flametrooper wrote:Okay, i made him wear brown robes with green bits, he's now the first mage to wear cami. :P I gave him a nose and a moustache, hope it's visible, and tried to make the face look less blank...but most wenoth faces are blank. It's a face, there's not much room for uniqueness.
Couldn't figure out what to do with the robe, so I just made it shorter and made his boots taller. JW or Jester could you post a hack, or at least something with red guidelines, to show what you mean? I don't get what it is you're saying; the robe seems fine to me.
Well look at other wesnoth units, including your own avatar. You don't see a nose or anything (and I'm not asking for that) the only things you see are the eyes and facial hair. Your sprite has a pink bulge on his neck, nothing more.
The robe doesn't touch the ground coorect? But it looks like it touches the ground, only in mid-air, like an unrealistic wind is blowing against it.
Also with your new edit you have made this guy a second right arm, giving him three arms in total... or so it seems.
Keep it up and practise :D .
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Jester wrote: Well look at other wesnoth units, including your own avatar. You don't see a nose or anything (and I'm not asking for that) the only things you see are the eyes and facial hair. Your sprite has a pink bulge on his neck, nothing more.
He has facial hair. And eyes. And I don't see the pink bulge you're referring to. :?
Jester wrote: The robe doesn't touch the ground coorect? But it looks like it touches the ground, only in mid-air, like an unrealistic wind is blowing against it.
Well, I'm new to this, and drawing robes is not my strong point...I'll look into it. Maybe compare to another robed unit.
Jester wrote: Also with your new edit you have made this guy a second right arm, giving him three arms in total... or so it seems.
Where? I don't see one. (That might work if it was for Abberations.)
Jester wrote: Keep it up and practise :D .
Thanks. I will. :)
hey.
JW

Post by JW »

Man I've got a lot of stuff to go over tonight. Keep posting stuff guys, you're forcing me to keep working. :wink:
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Sorry for not responding, but i didn't have time.
JW wrote:Have you downloaded the latest version?
Yup.
JW wrote:Also, what OS are you running?
Linux, debian etch.
JW wrote:Apparently non-Windows can have caps issues (which shouldn't be there anymore).
Hmm.. maybe that's the problem.. I'll check it

EDIT: changing lines like {@campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/EOM_elementals} to {@campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/EOM_Elementals} in Era_of_Myths.cfg fixes problems
JW

Post by JW »

Okay, I thought I fixed that in the last upload, I must have missed it, sorry. I'll get it for Alpha 5. In the meantime I'm glad you found the solution and I hope you enjoy the era!