The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: The Era of Myths: 2 years old, handing over for a while.

Post by Velensk »

The greedy trait won't change much unless it is overpowered. I could go into reasons by length, but I don't think anyone realy wants them. If you wish I'll explain it, but if you are willing to just take the simple no, I'm going to stick with that.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Weeksy

EoM location

Post by Weeksy »

EoM's world could have had some continental drift as well (or a fallen land-bridge), there could be some water in between the two areas. I'd have the distances be somewhere along the lines of the distance between Peru and Oregon. Quite a distance, not really travelable with the technology of standard wesnoth. Give them 600 years, perhaps they'll be able and have need to, give them Thunerstone era, and some of them will be able to for sure.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That suggestion sounds good weeksy, however I'm begining to wonder why the Therians need to come from wensnoth, I don't think that it would be at all problematic to just revise Therian lore of that one point, and start with a clean slate on a new world with as much room for expansion as anyone wants.

However if we decide to keep the world on Wesnoths world, then that is definatly the location/explanation that I vote for.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

megane wrote:
Velensk wrote:The only problem is the fact that the whole concept sounds utterly rediculas when you think about it. "And as the sun hit the land a demensional gate opens up and swallowed many people and deposited them in a strange land with strange people"
Obviously a wizard did it.
Maybe the same type of portal by which those liches transported the Orcs to the green isle and to the Great Continent (TRoW). This portal doesn't have to "swallow" many people, maybe they voluntarily went through it.
Maybe any leftover from when one of the liches got killed (he tried to get help from the EoM world, but instead got killed and some humans did go there).

Just an idea, feel free to use or ignore totally, or anything between.
Devling Fan

Post by Devling Fan »

Unless this has recently been fixed: Devling flappers and their line of units do not animate when using their ranged fire attacks. This leads to confusion for players and can be fairly annoying.

Is there any chance someone can quickly patch this by making animations of the flappers waving their fire sticks around or something?

PS: How come every other popular era seems to be well balanced for Survival maps but none of the AOM races are? Are there plans to fix this in the near future?

Oh! And is there anyway I could help weather with helping to write unit descriptions or testing or something? It would be nice to help give something aback to the AOM era. :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Realy if you want to help the EoM then the best thing you can do for it at the moment is art. Amoung other things animating the flappers ranged attack would be nice.

As for what you said about balancing for survial maps:
What is balanced for one survival map is not nessisarily balanced for another, for example, on temple of the naga, warg could do quite fine, but on Orcina (or however it is spelled) they are lousy. Some EoM factions will do well in most survival games, like the windsong or the celestials, and others would do well in very few survival games, like the devilings. There is no such thing as balancing for "survival games" because it means something diffrent for every survival you play. It is simpler, and more logical, to try to balance for 1vs1 contests between the 7 on maps that they are designed to be played with on.

Right now we are working much more on lore and polishing than we are on radical gameplay changes (except to the warg, but I need artwork for them before I can impliment new units)
Devling Fan

Post by Devling Fan »

Ok. You're right as usual. I've never done any art in Wesnoth before so I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm not that art savvy but if someone was interested in showing me the ropes and programs I might give it a go. If there is anything that I can help with in any other way just drop me a pm or something.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Velensk wrote:That suggestion sounds good weeksy, however I'm begining to wonder why the Therians need to come from wensnoth, I don't think that it would be at all problematic to just revise Therian lore of that one point, and start with a clean slate on a new world with as much room for expansion as anyone wants.

However if we decide to keep the world on Wesnoths world, then that is definatly the location/explanation that I vote for.
The Era of Myths is called the Era of Myths because the factions that it contains are derived from mythological stories that circulate in the world of Wesnoth.

This can be changed ofcourse...
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Scatha

Post by Scatha »

Query: could somebody explain what the "greedy" trait does?

Thanks in advance.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Scatha wrote:Query: could somebody explain what the "greedy" trait does?

Thanks in advance.
You realize you can mouse over it and read the tooltip, yes?

It increases the unit's upkeep by 1, and resistances to all damage types by %10.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Scatha

Post by Scatha »

Ah, mouseover. :oops:

Sorry, had just been looking in the in-game help, which didn't list it.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That's because it's a custom trait, and the ingame help only covers mainline.

My campain is working on it's fifth senario.

I'm going to replace the shape-shifter line with something that adds more to the faction. Shapeshifters don't realy fill a role in the faction other than to defend villages, and to round the warg off with a neutral melee unit to compliment their other melee units.

What I would like to do is replace this with a simular looking unit, but diffrent roll/lore. I'm going to make it a melee ranged hybrid with more focus on ranged. It'll use a sling and be neutral. The unit line would go like this (By the way it's any human not just a therian. I plan to try to do the art for this unit myself, once again trying to make art worth using, however I will certainly be happy to take help from anyone else.

Man-cub -> Changling -> Member

Man-cub: it's not uncommon for the warg to adopt human children they find adbandoned for they have sympathy for such. They teach them to earn their keep in the pack, and encourage them to learn how make and use simple weapons such as slings and stone knives.

Changling: Once growing to addolesance most man-cubs start to feel their diffrence from the rest of the pack for varying reactions. Some of them leave to find their own kind, but others stay deciding to stick with what they know and their adopted family. In the meanwhile they continue to grow in their skills, cunning, and strength.

Member: Although officaly members from the moment they are adopted, the changlings are never truely consitered warriors untill they reach a certain lvl of strength. Humans who reach this point rarely leave.
Jester

Post by Jester »

I always liked the shapeshifter concept/backstory. And, to be honest, I'd like to keep that backstory/concept, if you don't mind to much...

If you don't remember: The shapeshifters were Therians who decided to embrace their bestial natures a bit more. So they wandered off to the woods and hills to live with their neighbours the Warg...

Anyway's, if you're going to change the unit art, could you keep the beard? :B
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There are two problems with that

Firstly the therians are also (hopefully) going to get edited to look very diffrent, and give a diffrent impression.

Secondly the roll I'm trying to get this to fill does not fit well with the base therian, unless you want a redundant aura wave.

The shape shifters problem is gameplay and art, both of which I'd like to update. Lore is up in the air at the moment.

If you wish I could try to keep it a therian who decided to join the warg, but I don't think it would not go over so cleanly. If you could propose a way to do it cleanly and still be perfectly fitting to the roll I'm going for then please share.
Omega Red

Post by Omega Red »

therians are my fave faction, devilings are second

mostly becouse of their art, i think it really suits them