Dragon Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragon Master

Dragon Faction

Post by Dragon Master »

yo, im making a new dragon faction that is almost completed. i was actually wondering if you guys (no offense to any ladies out there) think that these units are appropriate, or just over/underpowered. Ive already tested them and they are pretty well-matched against most races. Please tell me anything you think can be fixed that would make them better.
Attachments
Dragon Faction.zip
Here's all the units, I've yet to finish the graphics and two units are still missing
(14.91 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

:P

Ugh, me and many others are lazy, yo. Could you please write the names of the units and their attributes?

But just off the cuff, it doesn't mater what we think. You can give out your idea no mater what.

Remember, if you build it, they will come.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Laziness, Assassin is something that is rarely seen(or should) among the people who engage in Wesnoth. I'll check the faction.

Looks well-built, maybe too "draconish", and unit named Death Dragon wouldn't be expected to be 1st level unit. I could also hardly expext attacks like undead breath to be based on fire.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

haha, well..yes. the dragons are basically a more powerful version of the drakes. This is my first faction so I wanted to make a faction close to my favorite original one. almost done with the graphics. I'll post them here when I'm finished
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

FINALLY, im done, so without furthur ado. Ahem..

Backround: Long ago when Wesnoth was young and humans had just began to gain power, the dragons decided to make a bold move. They were sick of Wesnoth and it's disjointed races. The dragons decided to travel, leaving all possessions behind, to an island far in the oceans called Raglar. The island being made almost entirely out of an active volcanoe. The dragons made home here, living amongst the caverns and mountains while training themselves in the art of war. This gives dragons excellent defense in any cave or mountain enviroment.One thousand years later it is present day in Wesnoth and dragons have returned from Raglar to conquer all of Wesnoth and unite it under dragon rule. Becuase the dragons are entirely warlike, they possess no names in combat and all are raised to be exactly the same. Although this gives them no advantages like intelligence and resilience, controlling the dragons gives them the advantage of no undesirable traits and you will always get what you buy. Since the drakes (the thin-blooded descendants of the dragons) were left behind in the dragon's exodus, they are now their mortal enemies along with the rest of all the sentinet Wesnothian races...

If anyone would like to make a campaign out of this, that would be awesome!
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Whoopsie. forgot to actually put data into zipfile. sorry. this one DOES have the data
Attachments
Dragon Faction.zip
(214.77 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

In the dev version, you have to be aware that 'long' is different from 'ranged' and 'short' is different form 'melee'
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

thanks for the update, I've actually already changed the long and short to ranged and melee in my files. I'm lazy so I'll leave it up to those who download to fix this :P . But of you have ver. 1.0.2 the faction should work fine
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Dragons arent that organized. They are not like drakes, who have human-like speech, organization, etcetera. They are mostly like a little bit smarter animals. I can't see one dragon recruiting other dragons and telling them what to do, where to go, etcetera...

But then, factions dont have to make sense, so you can do what you want.
hey.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

For god's sake.... Let me clear this up (again).
1) I made this race. Thus, my race MY RULES. If the I say these dragons are smart enough to organize, they are
2) These are ancient dragons. The smart ones. They were around when Wesnoth was practically created, born from the forces of fire and earth. Then they left, leaving behind the thinbloods who will become drakes and the wild dragons who will become the current wesnothian fire dragons.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Okay, okay, okay, sorry. :o
hey.
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Somebody needs jogged in the head about dragons and Not you Dragon Master, make your faction your way. Dragons are in general thought of fantasy wise as highly intelligent, and powerful beings who just aren't seen much. Ussually this is addressed by saying like in Middleearth, they were breqad for war, war over, or like in dnd they just take a while to grow up. In reality as long as one didn't make them age to slowly when growing up not max age, they could easily be a populous race. Hell they could even be organized..they were in Middleearth so go chew on that. Even why they aren't seen can be explained as either they stick to vast cave systems, and so there homes are below us..not in mountains like dwarfs, or orcs but truley below us. The other solution is What DM did with them being just elsewhere.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

thank you Tippsey, but anyway sorry but the snappy remark flametrooper. I'm just annoyed with people telling me dragons aren't social when they base this on the Wesnoth description. :roll:
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Okay, I get it. I'll even help you, if you want. Now that I understand what you mean here, I think its a pretty cool idea. Its like in Ursula K. Leguin's Earthsea books...you could say the dragons went "west beyond the west" or something. (but then that conflicts with the Old Continent and stuff...). And even dragon-human shapeshifters(like in Tehanu)! :P
hey.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Flametrooper wrote:Okay, I get it. I'll even help you, if you want. Now that I understand what you mean here, I think its a pretty cool idea. Its like in Ursula K. Leguin's Earthsea books...you could say the dragons went "west beyond the west" or something. (but then that conflicts with the Old Continent and stuff...). And even dragon-human shapeshifters(like in Tehanu)! :P
yeah, those books ruled, and could lead to some interesting ideas.