Altered era/ruleset

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: Altered era/ruleset

Postby The_Gnat » July 13th, 2017, 9:43 pm

lea wrote:do you play with computer-controlled opponents or with other people?

Both.

lea wrote:what about thanat faction? do you think it has enough variety of movement?

Yes i like the thanat faction it has a good variety, and i like the addition of the mummy unit line, but i miss the shadow and nightguant from mainline (with nighstalk and skirmish)
The_Gnat

Postby lea » July 14th, 2017, 6:48 am

I added only minimum quantity of ghosts to thanats because I was very unsure whether their "spirit" trait combined with good mobility will turn out to be balanced enough - do you think it is?

more ghost-like units are likely to be added to thanats - when I get to it, that is :)
"nightstalk" ability is likely to show up as well, except I plan to limit speed at which "invisibility" abilities work, they seem to be too powerful when fast units have them without limitations - maybe I missed some effective tactic for countering them?

skirmish was recently added for all altered units as random trait and I am currently on the fence about whether it should stay this way or be turned back into ability (or maybe have both variations) - what do you think?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (on BfW 1.12 and BfW 1.10 add-ons servers)
lea

Postby The_Gnat » July 14th, 2017, 10:24 pm

lea wrote:I added only minimum quantity of ghosts to thanats because I was very unsure whether their "spirit" trait combined with good mobility will turn out to be balanced enough - do you think it is?

It is pretty good and despite their high costs and low hp perhaps a little too good. But unlike mainline ghosts they don't have awesome resistances so i haven't seen any major problem.

lea wrote:more ghost-like units are likely to be added to thanats - when I get to it, that is :)
"nightstalk" ability is likely to show up as well, except I plan to limit speed at which "invisibility" abilities work, they seem to be too powerful when fast units have them without limitations - maybe I missed some effective tactic for countering them?

This would be true if the nightgaunt didn't have only 35 hp, compared to the Grand Knight who is also a fast unit and lvl 3 and has 78 hp you can see why it is okay.

lea wrote:skirmish was recently added for all altered units as random trait and I am currently on the fence about whether it should stay this way or be turned back into ability (or maybe have both variations) - what do you think?

I personally wouldn't keep it as a random trait. It is slightly too good. It could be left as a non-random trait that some units/races get but having it as random is (in my opinion) equal to having heal +4 as a random trait. ;)
The_Gnat

Postby lea » July 15th, 2017, 5:49 am

The_Gnat wrote:But unlike mainline ghosts they don't have awesome resistances so i haven't seen any major problem.
they kind of have "hidden" 50% resistance to all types of damage because of their "spirit" trait, except (unlike mainline ghosts) they also deal halved damage to their enemies and cannot be healed with healing abilities of other units, because of that same "spirit" trait

The_Gnat wrote:This would be true if the nightgaunt didn't have only 35 hp, compared to the Grand Knight who is also a fast unit and lvl 3 and has 78 hp you can see why it is okay.
nightgaunts also have 50% resistance to 4 types of damage so they survive as if they have twice as much hp, except when hit by fire or arcane damage, plus they effectively heal 2x faster as there is no such thing as resistance to healing. and they have much better movetype and defenses than grand knights, plus "nightstalk" ability...don't you think that you like mainline nightgaunts so much because they are overpowered? ;)

The_Gnat wrote:I personally wouldn't keep it as a random trait. It is slightly too good. It could be left as a non-random trait that some units/races get but having it as random is (in my opinion) equal to having heal +4 as a random trait. ;)
I added it to test if it will be too powerful and I agree that it is likely to be more powerful than my other traits... Initially I tried to limit its effect to certain speed using move and moveto events (like I already did with invisibility) but failed to make it work :( having an idea to turn it off when more than 2 adjacent enemy units are present, so that it would be hard but possible to keep them at bay with zones of control - going to try it. any other ideas on how to make "elusive" trait less powerful?

btw, if you do not like "elusive" trait then you can turn it off by removing {TRAIT_ELUSIVE} lines from *.cfg files of altered races
lea

Postby The_Gnat » July 15th, 2017, 6:40 am

...don't you think that you like mainline nightgaunts so much because they are overpowered? ;)

Haha :D Very likely. ;)

I added it to test if it will be too powerful and I agree that it is likely to be more powerful than my other traits... Initially I tried to limit its effect to certain speed using move and moveto events (like I already did with invisibility) but failed to make it work :( having an idea to turn it off when more than 2 adjacent enemy units are present, so that it would be hard but possible to keep them at bay with zones of control - going to try it. any other ideas on how to make "elusive" trait less powerful?

Perhaps you could make it that they only can use the trait if at the start of their turn they are not adjacent to enemy units?
The_Gnat

Postby lea » July 15th, 2017, 7:38 am

The_Gnat wrote:Perhaps you could make it that they only can use the trait if at the start of their turn they are not adjacent to enemy units?
or at the start of their movement, so that they have to step back to use elusive trait if there are enemies adjacent to them (effectively making them slower when they want to use it) and they still can be blocked by two adjacent enemies on opposite sides (no way to step back from both enemies simultaneously)... and skirmisher ability might work only when adjacent enemies are present, so that having both on the same unit is still useful... I think I should try that )
lea

Previous

Return to Faction & Era Development