Better display of ToD and Amount of Illumination

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Better display of ToD and Amount of Illumination

Post by Eleazar »

New Term: AoI (Amount of Illumination) The AoI determins weather a unit gets a Lawful or Chaotic Bonus.

Currently there's no way of telling by the UI what the AoI of a given hex is. A MoL, a campfire, or an Evil spell may change the AoI of a hex. But the UI doesn't tell you how much. The most common example is the MoL: Are the hexes adjacent to a MoL equivalent to Dawn/Dusk or Day? The UI should tell you. And here's how i think it should:

I'm proposeing 3 new icons to indicate:
Dark AoI (equivalent to night or underground),
Dim AoI (equivalent to dusk/dawn), and
Bright AoI (equivalent to day).

• Normally the AoI icon will match the ToD picture, but when a hex with a different AoI is selected (or moused over?) the appropriate AoI icon would be displayed.

Note: the following graphics are rough concepts. The example shows what it would look like if at night a hex was brighted to the AoL of dusk/dawn.

Modified/smaller versions of these icons could be made to indicate Chaotic, neutral or lawful units.
Attachments
ToD.jpg
ToD.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Currently the AoI is displayed by the ToD picture ...
If you look carefully, the ToD picture changes at Night/Dawn/Dusk when your mouse is over an illuminated Hex.

So this proposal would probably add nothing and would be a little more complicated than now.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

This opens many options, as... having a forest with dim illumination not give bonuses to lawful unist during day, right?.

Mmmmmm...
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Noyga wrote:Currently the AoI is displayed by the ToD picture ...
If you look carefully, the ToD picture changes at Night/Dawn/Dusk when your mouse is over an illuminated Hex.

So this proposal would probably add nothing and would be a little more complicated than now.
:oops:

I need to think more about this. I think there's some merit to the idea, but the current game is not broken in the way i thought.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity