(UPDATE: 02/14/06)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Johann
Art Contributor

(UPDATE: 02/14/06)

Post by Johann »

Hey guys, how's it going?
Last edited by Johann on September 4th, 2011, 7:27 am, edited 7 times in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Welcome to Wesnoth! :D Glad to have another artist. Your samples are quite impressive. ;)

Basically, you can either pick a campaign (official or not) that doesn't have portraits, and ask the creator of the campaign if they want your help; or, you can do portraits for generic units, like those for the drakes, orcs, etc, already in-game.

If you want to do art for a campaign but don't know why the maintainer is, you can just post something on the forums. Many of the campaign creators hang around here a lot, and they'll probably see your topic.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Whoah! Very nice! :)

If you're interested, something you could do for us is storyline art.

In the campaigns, there are 'storyline sequences' as I'm sure you've seen. The 'main' campaign, Heir to the Throne still doesn't have pictures for all its storyline frames, and we often have to show the map of Wesnoth instead.

Perhaps you'd be interested in drawing storyline pictures for us? If you'd be interested we can put you in contact with a campaign developer who will work with you.

I am very impressed by your samples...welcome to Wesnoth!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
JW

Post by JW »

Wow - those images are gorgeous! Very professional.

That beast that horned lady is riding is incredible. You really have a talent for creating the fantastical. The character Goran bears a resemblance to Viggo Mortensen; a cross between Viggo and Mystery I'd say.

Again, very impressive work! Your creations would be a welcome addition anywhere in my humble opinion, and I'm not just referring to Wesnoth.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

:)

I'd encourage you to do art for a needy campaign that you've played an enjoyed. It will be more rewarding for you, and the art will fit better, because you have first hand knowledge of the story.

Art information:

We try to keep the generic portrait art more or less homogeneous. I think with a little stylistic tweak your stuff could fit in there.

However, for a campaign's Heros and Villians a different style is can be used. Many campaigns mirror the style of of Wesnoth's generic units merely because they are slight edits of those graphics.

And of course as Dave mentioned, it would be cool to get some new/better story images for HttT. There are a few established character designs you would need to follow for some main characters, but you could do them in your own style i think.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Really nice work.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Johann
Art Contributor

Post by Johann »

Thanks for the kind words though I hardly deserve it. Thanks as well for the information provided. I recognize the clean approach to the portrait art in terms of lines and values that Eleazar has mentioned. I agree that its absolutely necessary to keep a uniformed look.

I was asked by Dave and Scott to work on the storyline art (like a slide show of key events) in the "Heir to the Throne Campaign" (I am actually playing this one right now so its such a treat to actually work on it ). I believe they intended for me to have a little more freedom in terms of style. I am familiar with some of the characters, but the queen for example, I have no idea what she looks like.

Would you guys happen to have a library of character portraits in the forums? I have tried searching around but I wasn't succesful.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

For all the images of a campaign just wait for the next release. In there all campaign specific images will be in the campaign folders. This means all existing sotry art, all portraits, special units and don't know what else. This is a little restructuring going on.
The release will be out quite soon.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

ivanovic wrote:For all the images of a campaign just wait for the next release. In there all campaign specific images will be in the campaign folders. This means all existing sotry art, all portraits, special units and don't know what else. This is a little restructuring going on.
The release will be out quite soon.
Or, you could poke around here:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... ne/images/

Welcome btw, very impressive artwork :)
Last edited by freim on February 4th, 2006, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Incredible... the first one is the one I think looks most impressive. Was there some signifigance to the order they were posted in?

The ones later on remind me a bit of Brom's stuff.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

The ones later on remind me a bit of Brom's stuff.
I concur. Also love the first one.

Gorgeous stuff. Love the soft blending of colors.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
scott

Post by scott »

Here are the existing HTTT portraits:
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~slk8779/wesnoth/portraits

and the existing story art:
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~slk8779/wesnoth/story

You can get it from the SVN repository or look in the game's directory, but this is a simple way to get to it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

First thought: I hope this isn't another faker.
Second thought: Wow, that's quality work!
Third thought: But those guys sure are ugly.

:P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote:First thought: I hope this isn't another faker.
People who are fakes generally post an image that looks like it could possibly already fit into Wesnoth and then say "hey I drew this image, why don't you put it in the game?"

People who aren't fakes will post sample images they have done in the past that they don't suggest should go into Wesnoth, but merely reflect their artistic skills from past projects. Then they ask what we would like them to draw for Wesnoth.

This is clearly in the second category.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Johann
Art Contributor

Post by Johann »

Hi, guys, thanks again for dropping by. I finished two of the opening sequences for ThtT. Thought I'd share my progress with you guys and see if I am going in the right direction with this, as all of you have been in this game longer than I have. Before I go on any further, here are the low-res of the images:

-----------------------

(In the twenty-seventh year of the reign of Garard II, king of Wesnoth, the kingdom was plunged into a bitter war with the Peoples of the North. ... The Northern host encamped at Galcadar, by the ford of Abez, and the king led his forces to meet them. Splitting his army in two, he led one half while his son, the crown prince Eldred, led the other.)

Eldred was a brave and courageous warrior, able to lead his soldiers well. Unfortunately for Garard, his son was also ambitious... and treacherous. In the heat of battle, Eldred's men turned on the king. And so, Garard was slain in battle that day, along with his brother and all his sons but Eldred.

---------------

My understanding is, as storyline art, maybe I can get away with not conforming to the established look already used in the portrait art. So I did these in the style I was most comfortable with. Sticking to that same look for the portraits is essential, but perhaps not so much in the storyline sequence. Now I'm thinking that it may still look too out of place next to the vectorized lines in some of the portraits (ex. the knight/paladin units). Thought I'd post this before I get on any further in the plot, so I'd love to hear your opinion on this.
Last edited by Johann on February 5th, 2006, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johann de Venecia / sketchbook