(UPDATE: 02/14/06)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Send them to me whenever you are comfortable doing so - I'm in no big hurry to use them. What you've made so far will serve for now, whilst the coders do their thing.

I would suggest sending them to me in packs based on section; when you finish all the prologue images, send them as a set, and preferably send them as lossless files (PNGs, TIFFs) - they may be jpegs in the final version, but this gives us freedom to compress them in different ways.

• With regards to Asheviere's appearance, the question of what on earth she should look like has really plagued me when trying to draw her. I tend towards thinking that we should have her looking visibly aged in the final HttT picture, yet still possessing some of her former beauty. This is hard to do, artistically, and her portrait gets very little screen-time, so I've never worked hard at making one for her.

• I do have one request regarding Delfador - he should not be so old in the intro/prologue pictures. I imagine him only being about 40, at worst. Thus, I'd like it if you could color his beard and hair - he should also only be about half bald, not completely so (because he won't be in his old age - I'm nearly done with a new portrait of him).
Johann
Art Contributor

Post by Johann »

I'll send them in TIFF when i wrap up the whole set, still not sure what comes after the intro of the princess, will have to dig around.

As for Delf, I can color the hair, but adding hair to the existing pic is another matter. It will just look strange. Unless I redo the whole thing which I don't have time for. I've already done 3 pics (just finished the one where he takes the baby prince out of the castle) with bald Delfs. I based the drawing on the existing portrait and while having freedom with the queen's face was acceptable, I didn't think giving black/ gray hair to Delf was.
Johann de Venecia / sketchbook
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Well, more than two years ago, when I was first drawing up the storyline to Heir to the Throne, I thought that it would be cool if I had some nice images to put with the story. But I supposed it would never happen.

Now, we finally have images better than I would have ever imagined. :)

I also think it's good for Ashievere to look beautiful....and I don't think she looks all that young. I think it's likewise okay for Delfador to look fairly old. I think he should have a somewhat mysterious timeless aura.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Johann wrote:I'll send them in TIFF when i wrap up the whole set, still not sure what comes after the intro of the princess, will have to dig around.
Cool.
Johann wrote:As for Delf, I can color the hair, but adding hair to the existing pic is another matter. It will just look strange. Unless I redo the whole thing which I don't have time for.
Then do color it, but don't worry about adding any more in.
Johann wrote:I've already done 3 pics (just finished the one where he takes the baby prince out of the castle) with bald Delfs. I based the drawing on the existing portrait and while having freedom with the queen's face was acceptable, I didn't think giving black/ gray hair to Delf was.
It is acceptable, because he is about 15-20 years younger, then. The new portrait doesn't change much about his physical appearance. His costume changes considerably, but that is immaterial - him wearing something completely different in the prologue is not only acceptable, it is good. I'll try and get that thing done and in soon, and I'll send a copy to you as soon as I can.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

So, what, Delfador is about 40 at the time of the prologue, and 57 - 59 at the time of HttT? That seems a lot younger than what his descriptions indicated...

whatever.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

According to the history, if Delfador starts his apprenticeship in 440, then he would be ~80 when he fights Eldred. He appears so early so he can participate in his own Memoirs. Certainly really old mages aren't too cliché for this group?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Mages who turn to the dark side gain near immortality (lich), so why shouldn't a mage like Delfaldor not be able to prolong his life beyond the span given to the average human? I don't see any problems with an eighty year old elder mage.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I think Delf looks fine as is. He doesn't have any noticable wrinkles, and the only sign that he is old is a long white beard and baldness. All quite possible in the 40-60 age range that he is in during these pictures. I don't think we should ask Johann to change these to look younger until we see what his older Delf (and for that matter queen) look like.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Guys - enough about this one point. I'm already discussing it with Johann, and I no longer need him to go back and do such edits himself.

Fortunately, we have two artists here who are good enough that we can go past the level of things that "look fine" and draw according to our will.
methinks

Post by methinks »

Such art is making BfW much more noticeable on the games/indie-games scene, soon it will be not only the-underdogs.org reviewing the game. Astounded.

As for my critics, I would rather see Delfador more friendly-angry, than evil-cold, as he seems to be for me. That is he is more like Saruman now, as opposed to Gandalf. I loved Gandalf's
"wrath" when he spoke to Bilbo in the first part of Jackson's movie. This is what I was hoping to see in Delfador's face. Wisdom and goodnes confrotned with anger and determination of winning.

On the other side, Ashievere looks a little bit too kind, unless this is how you wanted to express her sorrow and dissapoinment, kind of "human face' of Ashievere
-Adam