More cave terrains

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jonadab

Post by jonadab »

Nice. I'd been thinking that underground scenarios needed some greater variety. Campaign creators try to add variety to the caves by putting in water, paths (HttT), or even swamps (TRoW), and by varying the width of the passages, but more was needed. These two additions will really help improve the possibilities.

I don't think I like aliasing the mushrooms to forest, but OTOH I don't have a better suggestion, other than creating an entirely new terrain type. If you do create an entirely new terrain type, I propose that at least one race have worse defense in mushrooms than in open cave, on the grounds that they're allergic to the spores. Dwarves seem like an obvious candidate for that, since they're generally not bad in caves and also hills (assuming you keep the rocky cave areas aliased to hills, that is), but there are other possibilities, e.g., Orcs. Then again, that makes it similar to forest, so you'd want to differentiate it in other ways to justify keeping it separate, or else just alias it. Maybe some playtesting (for balance issues with different races) is desirable for making a final decision on that?

Hmmm... it also springs to mind that fungi can represent decay, which might have some relevance when considering undead, i.e., perhaps they should have a natural affinity for the mushrooms and good defense there. Perhaps that's not an important consideration, though. update: zookeeper beat me to posting these ideas for undead and dwarf races, and I think I agree with what he said about drakes, too.
Last edited by jonadab on January 26th, 2006, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

zookeeper wrote:I'm in favor of making mushrooms and mushroom forests a common occurrence on the surface of the world of Wesnoth, not just underground.
Hmm... How about, an occasional occurance, not _unusual_, but not as common as forest or hills or grassland, I would think. With that proviso, I think I like this idea. Obviously different graphics would be required for above and below ground mushrooms, but they could be aliased to the same terrain type.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Nice work, frame, as always.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

New mushrooms commited.

Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

Yay! Mushrooms!

I like the idea that dwarves have disadvantage in them, and that undead are good in them.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

A wonderful mushroom forest!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

frame wrote:Image
I think that the last mushroom (the least straigth) could use some variants. I mean it could bend into other directions too. They look a bit odd at the moment in game.

EDIT:
http://www.otavanoppimateriaalit.net/ym ... sienet.htm
Maybe you find this finnish site interesting. :P

(It's for 4th graders though. Schoolstuff for 10 year olds. It seems that they have to learn those mushrooms.)
Last edited by deserter on January 27th, 2006, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freim

Post by freim »

deserter wrote:
frame wrote:Image
I think that the last mushroom (the least straigth) could use some variants. I mean it could bend into other directions too. They look a bit odd at the moment in game.
I just commited two more tiles and added a new variant of just that mushroom.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Lord Aether wrote:I like the idea that dwarves have disadvantage in them, and that undead are good in them.
The main thing is that some unit will do well in some of the new cave terrains and others will do badly. That's what is needed to make the caves tactically interesting.

2 other reasonably possibilites for in-cave variety are mud (similar to sand or swamp) and cave-floor-lit-by-beam-of-light.

It would be really nice if a terrain could have an illuminated_Time applied to the terrain description.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Do you think you could add a bit of mold or lichen on the floor of the mushrooms forest? I think it could be nice. :)
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

I really like the look of mushrooms in caves and underground terrain, they fit in perfectly and make a lot of sense, growing in dark, damp places. Very nice indeed.

I'm not so fond of the open terrain 'mushroom forest' idea though... Reminds me of Morrowind and those horrible giant mushroom-towers and mushroom-cities which made you feel like an insect lost in toadstool paradise. Very unrealistic, very absurd, quite annoying and just plain ugly. They ruined the game to the point that some fans made mods replacing the mushroom trees with 'normal' trees. In fact I'd love to see more varied forest and jungle type terrains in Wesnoth.

Anyway, regarding our potentially edible/poisonous friends: maybe smaller mushrooms mixed with swampy terrain would be ok, IMHO.
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
scott

Post by scott »

Lichen-illuminated cave wall!

Wait, aren't we out of letters?

I wonder if we could alias the flat cave floor to hills and make anything with a feature (including the rugged cave) aliased to cave.

It would be a reversal of sorts, but it would improve many units' movement on what looks like flat terrain and retain the flexibility to slow them down with rougher terrain.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
toms

Post by toms »

Ok, I can live with mushrooms at the Wesnoth game.

But they should look more poisonous and ugly. The current ones really look eatable. :? :P
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
freim

Post by freim »

scott wrote:Lichen-illuminated cave wall!

Wait, aren't we out of letters?
We are. These use "[" and "]".

Edit: I'm going to wire these into help so I would appreciate it if someone could come up with good descriptions for them. Also if someone have some better suggestions as for the names that would also be nice.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? I like the idea of more variety in cave terrains, and I like the mushroom forest graphics, but I don't quite see why they need a new terrain type when they could be aliases of others; movement of cave and defence of forest, perhaps, or movement of cave and defence of swamp...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm