New attack buttons

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Etc.

• Third time was the charm for the "water spray". =)

• This is the replacement for the current "curse" image.

I plan on making an additional icon based on the old curse icon, though, since, IMO, the old curse icon was actually rather clever. This would be the "gaze" icon that the basilisks use, since the old curse icon was based on an eye (hah - in fact, looking at the old ones, they're basically the same icon, with a tear of blood (?) added to the curse version).

• I still don't like this halberd, but it's now decent enough to go in.

• The "dagger-undead" is for the bone/soul shooters.
Attachments
water-spray.png
water-spray.png (7.18 KiB) Viewed 6207 times
dagger-undead.png
dagger-undead.png (3.78 KiB) Viewed 6344 times
curse.png
curse.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 6363 times
halberd.png
halberd.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 6367 times
thunderstick.png
thunderstick.png (7.22 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
Last edited by Jetrel on June 6th, 2006, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Notes:

• Ink. Woohoo.

• This tentacle is a bit off, somehow, but I'm not sure how to fix it (and it is very rare, so I'm not overly concerned).

• Better angling/perspective on this thrown knife. I'm tempted to adjust the other one to match.

• Ah, the awkward saturday evening kiss...

• Another one that I'm not too happy with. The logic behind it is that lights is falling down onto certain parts of the web, and not others. Part of the problem with the spiderweb is - short of tarting it up with a negative-space color fill like warcraft III did for their web icon, there's not really much you can do to spice up something like this.
Attachments
spiderweb.png
spiderweb.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
spider-fangs.png
spider-fangs.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
dagger-thrown-poison-human.png
dagger-thrown-poison-human.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
tentacle.png
tentacle.png (6.95 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
ink.png
ink.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 6212 times
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

;) All-round awesomeness.

Image You actually meant it...:shock:.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Drake slam, and drake claws. I feel good about these two.
Attachments
slam.png
slam.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 6188 times
claws-drake.png
claws-drake.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The complete list of all icons left to be done:
Paladin Sword
Cleaver (for ogres)
Gaze (for basilisk)
Storm Trident
Saurian voodoo magic
Vampiric Fangs (blood bat, etc.)
Wooden Sword
Mud Fist
Yeti Fist
Pitchfork
Drake Fire Breath
Troll Warhammer (base on neo's new images)
Net
Ballista

Only 14 to go! :D:(

The following two icons really need revisions:
Orc Throwing Knife
Baneblade

The baneblade I think will be saved as an "evil sword", and a more properly ethereal baneblade will replace it for the spectre/wraith. There's nothing technically wrong with the current baneblade, it just looks very corporeal.
Zhukov wrote:;) All-round awesomeness.
Thanks. It was getting lonely in here.
Zhukov wrote:Image You actually meant it...:shock:.
Attack icons had been seized as an agent of control by THE MAN. The squares thought they had the planet locked down with their sexo-reverse suction rays and steel underwear. The tubes broadcast all manner of jive all hours of the day to keep people's minds like mush. Little did they know that PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC had one last outpost in the outer reaches of Jupiter's fourth moon...
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Jetryl wrote:It was getting lonely in here.
Yeah well, I can't post too many compliments...might go to your head :P.
Jetryl wrote:
Zhukov wrote:Image You actually meant it...:shock:.
Attack icons had been seized as an agent of control by THE MAN. The squares thought they had the planet locked down with their sexo-reverse suction rays and steel underwear. The tubes broadcast all manner of jive all hours of the day to keep people's minds like mush. Little did they know that PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC had one last outpost in the outer reaches of Jupiter's fourth moon...
<cough...Matt-Boyd....cough>

Ok, I'll shut up now.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Nearly all of these are very good. The only ones I don't feel are quite as good as the rest are the tentacle and the spider fangs.

The tentacle seem wrong, like it's twisted in a funny angle. I think it would look better if everything was moved down 4-5 pixels and you show more of the tentacle and most importantly more of the underside along the entire length of it.

Regarding the spider fangs I'm not quite sure what I don't like, it seem very dark, undefined (especially the top parts) and flat somehow. I can't quite make it out.

It's not that these are bad, but the rest are better :)

Isn't wose crush attack also not done yet?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Zhukov wrote:
Jetryl wrote:It was getting lonely in here.
Yeah well, I can't post too many compliments...might go to your head :P.
Last I remember I wasn't too good at these, that and I have too much to do (I just complained about this somewhere)
Zhukov wrote:<cough...Matt-Boyd....cough>

Ok, I'll shut up now.
Arggh, you beat me to it! :evil:

*Agrees with freim on spider one*

@Drake slam:

The top half looks very... solid, almost like tree bark actually, and seems out of place compared to the foot, almost like armour placed over the top, except it doesn't look like armour

Suggestion: Make it thinner, so that it seems less like armour, and change the colour to match the colour of the foot (one is more green, the other more brown)

Suggestion 2: make the upper leg more scale like somehow (?) and put more mini scales matching the current ones on the foot.

not quite sure which would work (or maybe there is another way), I would do an edit, but I have yet another exam in 10 mins, and I need to listen to green day to prepare.

*assumes calm meditational mode*
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sweet.

Have these all been committed to SVN?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

These are really nice. I'm impessed.

With all the attack icons being converted to the new style, I'm going to have to get someone to do a new version of the bolas, else they'll really stick out.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Oh, btw... I think you also need a 'flaming arrow' attack icon, correct? Or do you already have a good one?

[edit]
also, is there a reason the naming system for the attack icons is so random? Some are called human-sword.png, other throwing-dagger-human.png... It looks like the predominant system is {weapontype}-{race}.png, so should we switch ove the human-{weapontype}.png files to that system?

(Specifically, I am referring to human-dagger.png, human-greatsword.png, human-saber.png, and human-sword.png. Another file that does this is animal-fangs.png.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:Have these all been committed to SVN?
None, yet. I plan on getting these in within 3 days, unless the 1.2 release is coming faster than that. And we all know how clear our release schedule is. "IIRWIIR"
turin wrote:Oh, btw... I think you also need a 'flaming arrow' attack icon, correct? Or do you already have a good one?
Uh, yeah - make that 15 to go (I believe I'll do just the missile itself, and not the weapon which fires it).
turin wrote:[edit]
also, is there a reason the naming system for the attack icons is so random? Some are called human-sword.png, other throwing-dagger-human.png... It looks like the predominant system is {weapontype}-{race}.png, so should we switch ove the human-{weapontype}.png files to that system?

(Specifically, I am referring to human-dagger.png, human-greatsword.png, human-saber.png, and human-sword.png. Another file that does this is animal-fangs.png.)
Yes, we should switch those over. Eleazar had proposed the {weapontype}-{race}.png system, and frankly, it's just better than the {race}-{weapontype}.png system I had started out with.

However, it's going to be a mild PITA to reorganize those, so, though I'll commit all the new ones with proper names, we'll save the correction of the old ones until I get all the images done.
Quartex wrote:With all the attack icons being converted to the new style, I'm going to have to get someone to do a new version of the bolas, else they'll really stick out.
I volunteer, and like the Chakram, it will be added to mainline.

.... matt boyd...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clones ... unkenstein

I am compelled to spread the holy word of Funk to the far reaches of the universe. I offer no apology for these actions.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've committed the following icons, and wired them into the unit cfg files:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

This doesn't mean these are the final versions (the tentacle comes to mind as one which needs some editing), but these are Good Enoughâ„¢.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've deleted the following obsolete icons:

• darkstaff.png (replaced by staff-necromantic.png)
• crossbow.png (replaced by race-specific entities)
• bone-arrow-stab.png (replaced by dagger-undead.png)
• sword.png (replaced by race-specific entities)

I've also committed the following attack icons, and wired them into their respective units. Same disclaimer of quality applies, as above:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

To save people some scouring, this means the two uncommitted icons are the halberd, and the spider fangs. Both of those I want to edit before I commit - unlike the tentacle, which requires major redrawing, these should be minor.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

The new big attack icon batch is awesome, Jetryl! Especially the drake slam/claws! Only the curse icon doesn't work for me. Should it be an item of some sort, a charm? The picture doesn't show the shape of the object well. Maybe the icon tries to represent flames?

I'm dying to draw new stuff, but my laptop is still broken and can't get replacement parts at least from Finland. Boycott Acer because of the inferior customer support!