New attack buttons

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I drew a crossbow today. It could be more detailed. I'm not sure about the composition either, maybe it should be a little more tight. If someone is willing to composo this differently, I can PM a version which has the whole weapon in it and with all the layers. Just ask for it.
Attachments
crossbow.png
crossbow.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Pekka - the crossbow looks good, and I think the composition is fine (trying to compose a crossbow, like with bows, is a bit of a tough call). You're right that it could perhaps use a bit more "detailing" - additional hardware, etc.

I'll take care of it soon, hopefully.

Still on my plate of "tweaks to do" are this, the water-spray, and the morning-star.

Here is an icon for the poisoned knives thrown by the orcish assassins/slayers. These are meant to be more like throwing "shards" after a fashion; not much of a handle on them, and they're quite poorly made. The orcs just take flat chunks of metal and pound the edges into being sharp - the objective, like with shurikens, is not so much to injure someone directly with this weapon as to simply lacerate them enough to distract or poison them.
Attachments
knife-thrown-poison-orcish.png
knife-thrown-poison-orcish.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Pekka: Restored most of your work to the morning star. What do you think?
Attachments
morning-star.png
morning-star.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Most of these have been truly amazing, but the poison knives just don't look like anything to me.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Jetryl: You mixed the best parts of the both icons IMO. Your spiked ball is somehow more brutal/weaponlike appearance than mine and it has also better shadowing to show the shape of it. Good.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Darth Fool wrote:Most of these have been truly amazing, but the poison knives just don't look like anything to me.
I agree, those belong rather into the scratchpad thread. The idea is nice but I had to go very close to the screen to recognize anything and even they didn't look on par with the other attack icons. Perhaps using only one shown in more detail? And perhaps distribute the poison more on the knife without increasing the amount. Looks way too much especially on the lower knife, this would be rather dangerous since the thrower would most likely get a few drops from it on himself.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Dag, yo.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Halberd work in progress. It lacks "a little something", and I'm posting it here purely in case pekka et al wish to do an edit.

I right now, am too tired to keep working on it, so, I'm saving it for later, possibly..
Attachments
halberdWIP.png
halberdWIP.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I tried editing pickslide's icon, but my hunch about how it could be improved failed.

So, here is another potential icon for waterspray. This one takes a much more close-up view of the water, and suggests more the ability of the mermaids to move the water at will, since it's just a picture of a few drops of water floating in midair (and sparkling).

What do you guys think?
Attachments
water-spray.png
water-spray.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Also, here is a very slight, and only of mild necessity edit to pekka's crossbow - I thought it needed a bit more of a complex pattern of lights and darks, so I added a sight, which was a common feature of later arbalests.

This crossbow is the human version; we're likely going to have to come up with something a lot more crude looking for the orcs.

Pekka, if you have no objections, I'll commit this when I have a chance.
Attachments
crossbow.png
crossbow.png (4.27 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Actually, this might make a good icon for ink with a slight color change...
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

For ink I still would say an inkpot would be cool. The attack is only used for *one* unit and that only appears in a campaign. So why should it's attack not be an easteregg?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

ivanovic wrote:For ink I still would say an inkpot would be cool. The attack is only used for *one* unit and that only appears in a campaign. So why should it's attack not be an easteregg?
Given the favorable response to this idea, by certain people, I believe I might actually do that.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Jetryl wrote:Given the favorable response to this idea, by certain people, I believe I might actually do that.
Go go go!

Also, that water icon does look very good, but the one we currently have for waterspray isn't so bad either. Maybe it could be used for a different attack?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Jetryl wrote:Given the favorable response to this idea, by certain people, I believe I might actually do that.
I don't know whether to be amused or disgusted.

Regarding your edit of the crossbow, I don't see that it really adds anything, just a bit of visual 'noise.' If you want some more detail why not add a Windlass or Ratchet...