Wose death animation [WIP]

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Artis

Wose death animation [WIP]

Post by Artis »

Not sure in what needs the most improvement here, comments?
Attachments
Crude wose death animation.
Crude wose death animation.
wose-die.gif (9.55 KiB) Viewed 5122 times
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Wose death animation [WIP]

Post by Eleazar »

Artis wrote:Not sure in what needs the most improvement here, comments?
Nice start. better than what's been done for the anchient wose.
but the leaves seem to dissappear before they hit the ground, and perhaps there should be additional frames of the wood part falling apart.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Artis

Re: Wose death animation [WIP]

Post by Artis »

Eleazar wrote:Nice start. better than what's been done for the anchient wose.
but the leaves seem to dissappear before they hit the ground, and perhaps there should be additional frames of the wood part falling apart.
The leaves crumble to dust as they fall, at least that is the idea, it's not very visible. Falling apart is something I had in mind as well, I'll see what I can do.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

If you could, try making an animation of him tipping over, and the "crown" of his branches "bouncing" on the ground, inasmuch as an oak tree would when it is being felled.

A good reference might be the trees being chopped down in "The Fellowship of the Ring."
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Artis

Post by Artis »

Jetryl wrote:If you could, try making an animation of him tipping over, and the "crown" of his branches "bouncing" on the ground, inasmuch as an oak tree would when it is being felled.
With or without leaves?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Artis wrote:
Jetryl wrote:If you could, try making an animation of him tipping over, and the "crown" of his branches "bouncing" on the ground, inasmuch as an oak tree would when it is being felled.
With or without leaves?
Some of the leaves can fall off as he falls to the ground. When we have a particle system, this death animation will trigger the creation of a great many leaf particles which will drift up and away from the head as it moves through the air - even more will burst out when the thing impacts the ground.

Said particles will be really small - likely only 1-3 pixels across. The particle system is obviously not written yet, but I promise that it will be - I am, most likely, writing it myself, since is is a non-simple, non-trivial addition to the game (I'll basically be rewriting the graphics engine to be properly z-buffered, unlike what we have now).

So, for your animation, he should still have at least half of his leaves at the end of the animation.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

i like the way he stays up when he dies, like a dead tree that doesn't fall over for a while after it dies, but maybe a branch or something can fall off and have the effect jetryl described?
Ssshh! I'm secretly male.