The human princess...

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Last version is the best, IMHO.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Well, I can't arrive at an opinion. Except that the dark outlines are bad. It freaks me out to look at Jetryl's example, in which the outline sits like a tacky hat on a fine statue.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Well, I can't arrive at an opinion. Except that the dark outlines are bad. It freaks me out to look at Jetryl's example, in which the outline sits like a tacky hat on a fine statue.
Dark edges are not necessarily bad. In fact, in a number of normal lighting conditions, having the edges significantly darker than the interior is perfectly correct.

What is very bad is an absolute mandate that all edges of a sprite must be surrounded by a 1px jet black outline.

Drawing a line for an edge was invented for the obvious reason that many edges are formed by shadows - the problem is that a lot of people never bothered to learn WHY they were drawing lines around things, and hence, when not to.

All said and done, you have to admit that the "outlines" on mine are a lot better, according to your standards, than those of fmunoz's... :P
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Elvish_Pillager

It's no problem with most of the body - it's just the hair where the outline looks problematic. I think it has to do with the way hair is - unless you squash it, it will end up filled with air-spaces and fail to be a single shape, making the edges no different from the interior. It's also said that EP uses convoluted sentences that don't convey his meaning very well.

Regardless, I've continued to try to improve the animation. Although I don't think I did a very good job this time around. (one side note - frames 4 and 6 are no longer the same, since the hair must continue to descend instead of reversing and returning in an upwards direction.)

P.S.: Yeah, fmunoz's outline made it look like the hair had been roasted! :P
Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

Well, here is the animation, now.
Attachments
Princess.gif
Princess.gif (6.76 KiB) Viewed 6035 times
taz

Post by taz »

Quite good, I like the movement of her hair. :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Just wondering; would it not be desirable to have the sprite's outfit match that of the portrait? At least, more than it does now? Currently there is a real discongruence between the portrait and the sprite...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Not really - EP, if you could, please post the individual frames. I'll take it from here. :)
Clint Eastwood

Post by Clint Eastwood »

No offense but it remainds me of the dark queen in "what you should not do" in the art tutorial.
"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it. "
Clint Eastwood
Elvish_Pillager

Jetryl wrote:Not really - EP, if you could, please post the individual frames. I'll take it from here. :)
:)

Next on my list: south-facing animation. After all, when facing south, Li'sar isn't THAT inaccurate with a sword! :P
Attachments
human-princess-attack.zip
(6.84 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:cry: ...can't ... stop ... editing ....
Attachments
human-princess.png
human-princess.png (2.04 KiB) Viewed 5884 times
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Actually with LiSar's hairstyle i think we should pay homage to the Anime roots of Wesnoth Visuals...
Attachments
LiSar.jpg
LiSar.jpg (3.25 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Eleazar wrote:...Anime roots of Wesnoth Visuals...
So, I wasn't just imagining it...:evil:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:Actually with LiSar's hairstyle i think we should pay homage to the Anime roots of Wesnoth Visuals...
That's probably the funniest damn thing I've seen in days.
So, I wasn't just imagining it...
If you look at my portraits for HttT (the new, good ones), the basic idea is to have a ... "high animé" style, with characters drawn in a relatively realistic style - no mo-e characters with dinnerplate eyes, and no pineapple heads (eg. DBZ or Yu-gi-oh (yuck)).

Much of this decision was based on the fact that fmuñoz, our founding pixel artist, wanted to do the game in a traditional SNES RPG style, which was generally animé, given that most such games were produced in japan. I respect his contribution to the game, and don't want to change it's essential artistic direction.

Part of it is that I really don't care - the art that I used to drool about definitely isn't what you'd call anime, but I'm happy to try and master this one style on my path to whirled domination. Doing professional-quality work in it is a considerably easier target than what I hope to eventually be capable of; it is, in fact, a target I have finally reached. Yet it teaches me a ton of things about figure drawing, which will continue to be useful to me long after I leave this style behind.
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Jetryl wrote::cry: ...can't ... stop ... editing ....
Cute but deadly... nice :)