An old portrait I found

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Should the portrait be commited?

Yes
52%
No, it's not good enough
7%
It's a good portrait, but no
41%

Total votes: 29

martenzo

An old portrait I found

Post by martenzo »

I found an old portrait made by Jason Lutes in the Graphics library. This is the best Konrad portrait I've ever seen. I'd like to know why wasn't it added to the main game? And just out of curiosity, could it be added to the game now?
Attachments
konrad6cu.jpg
konrad6cu.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Ankka

Re: An old portrait I found

Post by Ankka »

martenzo wrote:I found an old portrait made by Jason Lutes in the Graphics library. This is the best Konrad portrait I've ever seen. I'd like to know why wasn't it added to the main game? And just out of curiosity, could it be added to the game now?
Even if Jetryl is gonna make some new Konrad, this would be a lot better placeholder than the current one.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I don't like face of this one.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If that's the best Konrad portrait you've ever seen, you need to go look at Pickslide's old portraits.

I agree, it is in certain respects better than the current Konrad, but it is by no means the best that has been made.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

he appears to be made out of plasticine!
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I think the problem is that it is only one portrait and I believe kondrad needs more than one matching one for different emotions.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
toms

Post by toms »

VERY similar to the current one... :?
It looks just like a first drawing for the normal portrait to me. :o
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

turin wrote:If that's the best Konrad portrait you've ever seen, you need to go look at Pickslide's old portraits.
I wonder where they are? Cuz they sure aren't in the graphic library. And, like I said, it is the best one that I have seen, where did you read me saying that it is the best one? I'm quite sure that the one(s) made by pickslide are better (although I'm not much of a fan of his style).
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I think this is the one Turin's refering to....

Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

The one Turin's refering to looks a bit too much like an experienced warrior, which Konrad isn't in the beginning. But it can be the portrait of a lvl3 Konrad, and the one martenzo posted the lvl1.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Disto wrote:I think this is the one Turin's refering to....

That hairstyle is pretty slimy.
toms

Post by toms »

Very good but I don´t like the face. :?

(Don´t expect anything than critism from me :P)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Disto wrote:Image
Wow... that's pretty good. Matches the orcs. Does look a bit more competent than he should be first starting out, though.

Why was this passed up?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Pickslide's art was passed up because at the time he was here, he was told that his art was too realistic, and didn't fit in with the rest of the anime-ish art. Now, after he's left, we've switched to something pretty close to the style he had. It's a shame, really, that he didn't do more portraits.

(And, actually, that wasn't the one I was referring to. Pickslide did a Konrad portrait for each level that are not on his website. Those were the ones I meant.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Kestenvarn wrote:
Disto wrote:Image
Wow... that's pretty good. Matches the orcs. Does look a bit more competent than he should be first starting out, though.
He looks like too much of a hard-arse for Konrad too.

The quality of the current Konrad portrait isn't up to snuff, but IMO its character should be retained. It has the right sort of mix of naive wonder and earnestness to suit the character.