An old portrait I found

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Should the portrait be commited?

Yes
52%
No, it's not good enough
7%
It's a good portrait, but no
41%

Total votes: 29

Disto

Post by Disto »

turin wrote:Pickslide's art was passed up because at the time he was here, he was told that his art was too realistic, and didn't fit in with the rest of the anime-ish art. Now, after he's left, we've switched to something pretty close to the style he had. It's a shame, really, that he didn't do more portraits.

(And, actually, that wasn't the one I was referring to. Pickslide did a Konrad portrait for each level that are not on his website. Those were the ones I meant.)
Cmon, share them then.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I don't have them saved on my computer, and they were lost in the forum crash.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

turin wrote:Pickslide's art was passed up because at the time he was here, he was told that his art was too realistic, and didn't fit in with the rest of the anime-ish art. Now, after he's left, we've switched to something pretty close to the style he had. It's a shame, really, that he didn't do more portraits.

(And, actually, that wasn't the one I was referring to. Pickslide did a Konrad portrait for each level that are not on his website. Those were the ones I meant.)
:( Too bad.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

think this is the one Turin's refering to....
Egad! that's even WORSE!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

turin wrote:I don't have them saved on my computer, and they were lost in the forum crash.
Cough without any judgement which one is better Pickslide got a link in his sig which leads to his portraits.
https://webspace.utexas.edu/woojs1/Wesn ... slide.html

After some search you can find his old ones.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Uh... none of those are the ones I was talking about. I'm fairly certain there are no copies available online anywhere.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

He's left? That's news to me.

This history of yours is incorrect, btw. The portrait Disto linked was submitted AFTER I had made my own. It's a good portrait, possibly a slight bit better than mine, in the game right now, though that's debatable. If it had come before I made mine, I'm sure we'd be using it instead of what we have now.

However, like myself, Pickslide went through several iterations of portrait making, getting a whole lot better every time. What Pickslide had made BEFORE I made mine came out something like this:

And it contended with mine for replacing this one, by fMuñoz, our founding lead artist:

There are certainly flaws in mine, don't get me wrong, but it was unquestionably better than both of those (especially the latter). Pickslide has gotten a heck of a lot better over time, as have I - unfortunately, fmuñoz doesn't seem to have improved nearly as much.

Most of the portrait work that pickslide is now doing looks very good, and I don't think he's left us - he's just, like myself, busy with college. Unlike myself, he's probably got A Lifeâ„¢, which is why you don't see him around here (and people wonder why I'm not on IRC all the time). His work is featured in several campaigns, and, IIRC, he's actually got more portraits in HttT than I do. I've done more of the main characters, but he's got some 5 portraits while I have 4.

As for the current state of portraiture in HttT, I'm pleased with the Li'sar image. All of the others are chalked up for replacement, but the replacement has to be quite better in my opinion.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

The one posted by Jetryl is very nice (the upper one, that is), but I still prefer the one by Jason.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

The top one is better, artwise and composition-wise but, if you think of Konrad's dialogue in HttT, fmunoz' original picture captures that feel better. (Though I'm not too sure why he's holding what appears to be a magic staff). The current picture similarly captures that feel.

I'm not saying we should stick with that picture, but IMO, any picture that replaces it should capture that feel as well...
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

irrevenant wrote:The top one is better, artwise and composition-wise but, if you think of Konrad's dialogue in HttT, fmunoz' original picture captures that feel better. (Though I'm not too sure why he's holding what appears to be a magic staff). The current picture similarly captures that feel.

I'm not saying we should stick with that picture, but IMO, any picture that replaces it should capture that feel as well...
The old pictures of Konrad showed him with a staff. (At least the Commander ones did). And he gained a magic staff in the tutorial.
Attachments
konrad-commander.png
konrad-commander.png (902 Bytes) Viewed 6163 times
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Dark Helmet

Post by Dark Helmet »

So really, does Konrad have red or brown hair?
Freedom is the ability to say one plus one equals two. When that occurs, all else follows.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Red. I don't know why Jason Lutes gave him brown...
The World of Orbivm