Status Bar improved GUI

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

appleide

Post by appleide »

Eh.... It's all good then... :)

Except, I still think it might be better if the orb was on top of the hp bar...

Shrink the hp and XP bars, make them thinner or something and then darken the colors so that it could be seen just as well? :shock: Or maybe your idea of unannoying people when the hp and XP bar was switched could be better...
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

OK, based on feedback, from here and ICR, and some further thought, i display yet another improved version of the status bars.

I moved the bars 2 pix closer to the unit which gave me the room to expand all the "orb" icons. It also gave me room to use the crowns instead of the stars. The "orbs" were just quickly resized, I can make them stand out better later.

Comments from left to right:
1) the old way, though the trunk is a little different. Notice it's obvious inferiority. :)
2) Notice the little "tail under the "orb" this give the orb something to center over, and more importantly indicates that there could be a bar in this spot.
3) The normal XP bar is as wide as the HP bar.
4) Enough of the icon should show behind the crown to be recognisable
5) A little crown to replace the "hero" icon used in some scenarios. I propose that if a unit's death will loose the game, that this crown automatically be used by the game. Also notice that the AMLA XP bar is thinner. Pay no attention to the colors, i'm exparamenting.
6) The semi-transparent unselected version. Notice the "orb" doesn't go transparent. I don't think it ever should.
Last edited by Eleazar on November 17th, 2006, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
dtw

Post by dtw »

My simple feedback: complexity for complexities sake is always a bad thing. At low res that is just going to look a mess and is really not necessary information - the status bar on the left is perfectly capable of showing this information
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? I don't think the triangles are a good idea. They look ugly, and clash with the other spheres. I think keeping the current system of only having spheres is a good idea...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

#4 is the best. The mini-crown in #5 is also good.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

dibblethewrecker wrote:My simple feedback: complexity for complexities sake is always a bad thing. At low res that is just going to look a mess and is really not necessary information - the status bar on the left is perfectly capable of showing this information
How is this more complex? the only thing i'm adding is a distinction between units that can attack and those that can't -- arguable something the game should have had all along.
turin wrote: I don't think the triangles are a good idea. They look ugly, and clash with the other spheres. I think keeping the current system of only having spheres is a good idea...
Clash with what other spheres? With this proposal there is only one sphere (the ally orb).
The old system has flaws that should be obvious:
1) it uses the same graphic to convey unrelated concepts, i.e. how far your unit can move, and if a unit is allied.
2) It relies only on color to make the distinction, which can make things difficult for those with color blindness.

Besides the fact that the bars can be with the wrong background difficult to read (with the current system), the advantages of this change will be primarily for the new players. If team-color-ellipsis are turned off, it's not at all intuitive that red,yellow,green orbs = your team and blue orbs = your allies.
Last edited by Eleazar on January 21st, 2006, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think the triangle is okay.....but I think the triangle/orb whatever should go on top of the hitpoints bar. Units with no xp look weird at the moment.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
JW

Post by JW »

If you use the triangle I thikn you should decrease its size by a pixel in width/height, however it's perceived.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i just think it looks wierd. Also, I think they look too high-tech... but if no one else sees what I mean, that's fine too.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

It looks quite weird, indeed. Most of all that triangle.
And transparency was good, as it showed more of the unit. Now you can't see the unit very well.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Dave wrote:I think the triangle is okay.....but I think the triangle/orb whatever should go on top of the hitpoints bar. Units with no xp look weird at the moment.
I agree it's a little wierd, but in change as Dave suggests, we have to choose between options that are IMO worse/difficult, because:
Image the "orb" icons are up against the edge of the hex boundry.

(worse) OPTIONS:
1) change the graphics engine so the orbs can go outside of the hex. (i'm all for this :wink: )

2) Move the bars over, 5/6 pixels into the graphic. I think this is bad because it covers up more of almost any unit.
Image (i'd rather see the horse than have the orb always over the HP bar)

3) Switch the XP and HP bars. IMO the best solition, next to the one i've proposed. The disadvantages are:
--a) Everyone will expect the info to be in the opposite bar for a while.
--b) We loose the extra space for seeing the unit we get when the XP bar is short or gone.
Image (with XP on the right we usually get to see the whole unit)

Tux: i say again. "i'm not proposing to change how semi-transparency of bars works in the trunk"
Last edited by Eleazar on January 21st, 2006, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attempting Lucidity
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Invert the triangle?. Maybe that will make it be related more to a pointing arrow than to a modern building or somesuch.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Invert the triangle?. Maybe that will make it be related more to a pointing arrow than to a modern building or somesuch.
I feel like i'm repeating myself more than should be neccessary on this topic. :x
Edit: this information made blatantly obvious in previous post.
Attempting Lucidity
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Weird. That post wasn't there when i posted, or even after i did. But anyway, if it can't be made to fit in the hex, i'm beaten up in brainstorming, i guess, unless you want to try with other forms such as flat ovals, but that feels almost like streeching it too much.

My apologies.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Rastignac

Post by Rastignac »

Would be great if I could turn off all unnecessary status bars and orbs...