Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:I was thinking it might help the lancer's identity if he had a bigger, more obvious lance, thus:
I don't think it should all be gold, but everything else is a good idea. I'd keep a band of gold at the tip, and a wider one at the flange(?). The increased size was an especially good idea, though it would look even better were the weapon a pixel or two longer (not sure if that's gonna fit inside hex boundaries.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The lance looks a bit too think to me at the bottom... it would be about a foot wide, it looks like. That would be a really heavy piece of wood. :shock:

Just wondering, when are you planning on committing these revisions to trunk? ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

An update to the lance, based on Eleazar's edit.

note that the unit image has been moved down a few pixels in the frame, to keep it from spilling out of the hex.

The final image is attached - Eleazar, if you could finish propagating this to the rest of the lancer images, and also clone over the graphics from the paladin, I'd be mighty pleased. It frees me up to work on the elves and the walking animations (and a bajillion other things).

Or turin could do it, if he is willing...

Attachments
lancer.png
lancer.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 10621 times
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Lancer done and commited.
In all honesty i don't know what all the pixels in the horsemen are supposed to be, but i think it works. Added a additional "move" frame while i was at it.

As to the Paladin, maybe to distinguish him from the plain knight he could have the "skirt" the grand knight has, but not the horse armor --a white "skirt", but trimed with the TColor, something like this?
Attachments
paladin_605.jpg
paladin_605.jpg (21.49 KiB) Viewed 10512 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:Lancer done and commited.
In all honesty i don't know what all the pixels in the horsemen are supposed to be, but i think it works. Added a additional "move" frame while i was at it.
Goody. Thanks a bunch.
Eleazar wrote:As to the Paladin, maybe to distinguish him from the plain knight he could have the "skirt" the grand knight has, but not the horse armor --a white "skirt", but trimed with the TColor, something like this?
I'll get back to you on this, possibly with an edit. Maybe we will do this, maybe we won't. :|
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Turin: your first assignment is the Master Bowman.

When doing most of these team-color units, we're going to be doing several tasks at once, that is, fixing/upgrading several things in addition to the team color change.

• Commit the final images in units/human-loyalists/
This implies changing the cfg file image references to be something like:
image="units/human-loyalists/master-bowman.png"
I've created this folder already. Use an svn move on the existing images to preserve their history, even if they do get deleted.

• Convert the shadows in accordance with my tutorial here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Creating_Sh ... nder_Units

• Create a new bow animation, with more frames, mimicing how it is done on the Elvish Marksman. Yes, many of the other elves do not have such good animations, but they will - I'm taking care of the wood elves myself, mostly. We're replacing the existing animation with this one - the point is to make it much smoother. The timing on it should be exactly like that of the Elvish Marksman. Likewise, you will need to make a bow-defend frame. The subtle thing to note when mimicing this animation is where the arms and such move relative to their positions in the previous frame.

• The costuming upgrades were relatively simple - I just gave him a metal breastplate and made the cloak at his shoulders slightly wider - I also added a few pixels past the very end of his bow where the string attaches.

The image is attached - the best way to do team color changes like this is to to a combination of "paint-bucket fills", and copy-and-paste. Because the coloration on the Master-Bowman was inconsistent, e.g. the feather used a different set of reds than the cape, you'll likely need to do more cut and paste than normal. I've attached an image which shows most of what I overlaid - it might be easiest to grab stuff out of here:
Attachments
human-masterbowman-overlays.png
human-masterbowman-overlays.png (855 Bytes) Viewed 10500 times
human-masterbowman.png
human-masterbowman.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 10480 times
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Jetryl wrote: image="units/human-loyalists/master-bowman.png"
Is it really neccessary to put "units/" in the front? Seems like it should assume that much.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:
Jetryl wrote: image="units/human-loyalists/master-bowman.png"
Is it really neccessary to put "units/" in the front? Seems like it should assume that much.
No, it is unnecessary, it's just part of my coding style to fully specify names like that. I'm one of those monkeys that prefers http://www.intarweb.com/
to intarweb.com

Though, part of it is that the conversion to "knowing it's in images/units" was a bit of a hack by isaac, and I'd just prefer to allow the images code to fall back to being more generalized, when all of them are moved into place, rather than having a special-case thing for unit images.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Uh... it is actually necessary. I've tested this with my UMCs. Put it there, everyone.

I'll hopefully get to this tonight.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, I've started it (a bit late, I know.) I don't know what you mean about the bow attack; the Elvish Marksman and the Human Master Bowman's attacks seem basically the same...
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Done and committed. Next assignment?
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This d00d - same thing applies with the bow frames. I had some concerns with the specific way you did the bow frames on the master bowman, which I'll post about in a few hours (I have something I have to do in the meantime).

Other than that, the master bowman was pretty good - good job on the head turning, although you forgot to move the feather as well. You got >90% of the stuff right - I'll commit some little tweaks for you to look at and see what I changed (and I'll annotate them, here).

Above all else: Thank you. :)
Attachments
human-longbowman-overlays.png
human-longbowman-overlays.png (757 Bytes) Viewed 10274 times
human-longbowman.png
human-longbowman.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 10292 times
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Am I the only one who thinks that this blue is just far to crude I mean all other team colors work mostly good with elves but this blue is just to strong.

Edit:
Perfect above the post I actual commented
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Where I'm currently at with base frames for the elves. The champion probably needs more to differentiate him from the hero - the marshal also needs a bit, though not as much.

The archer and shaman line have had no progress since last time.

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

wayfarer wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that this blue is just far to crude I mean all other team colors work mostly good with elves but this blue is just to strong.
No, I definitely agree. I'm using the red/gray/brown as "test" colors, for calibration, and since the code boys have wonderfully opted to make team colors WML configurable, one I have the base frames for the elves done, I'm going to play with potential team colors. That blue will probably get at least a bit desaturated.
wayfarer wrote:Edit:
Perfect above the post I actual commented
yay phpBB :?