Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Re: Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Post by Jetrel »

etc; female version.
Attachments
footpad-demo.png
footpad-demo.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The female's waist feels unnaturally thin - it doesn't leave space for her pelvis, particularly given the distance between bust and belt. Perhaps widening both their bodies by a pixel or 2 would be good.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:The female's waist feels unnaturally thin - it doesn't leave space for her pelvis, particularly given the distance between bust and belt. Perhaps widening both their bodies by a pixel or 2 would be good.
:? Right. Here's an edit that should fix that.
Attachments
footpad-demo.png
footpad-demo.png (3 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Aren't their legs unnaturally wide apart at the hips? The inside lines of their thighs don't converge at the crotch, but instead there's a gap about half a foot wide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

zookeeper wrote:Aren't their legs unnaturally wide apart at the hips? The inside lines of their thighs don't converge at the crotch, but instead there's a gap about half a foot wide.
This presumes the crotches are that low, and aren't being overlaid by the tunic. Yeah, it's cartoonish proportions to make their legs take up that much of the sprite, but it looks fine to me, and exaggerated proportions are the name of the game with sprites.

Second of all, legs don't quite meet at the crotch unless the legs are closed. The pelvis doesn't form a "point" between the tops of the legs, it forms a short "line segment". Just eyeballing things, but when I stand with my legs just 3 feet apart, there's about 4-6 inches between where the tops where legs join the pelvis. I can place an open hand there, against the pelvis, and have only the sides of it touch the legs. (I know this sounds perverse, bear with me). This is actually wider for many women, for obvious biological reasons; so much so that some women actually have a gap there - their legs don't even touch at the top, when their knees are together.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Thug animations are done, and ready for me to commit. Will progress to the L2 tomorrow.
Attachments
thug-melee.gif
thug-melee.gif (7.93 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

I really like those new footpads! Everything is so much better now and the new clubs are really nice! The only thing I'm not really fond of is the spikey hair, it reminds me of dragonball and other evil animes in a bad way, the old hair rendering was much smoother.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

kitty wrote:I really like those new footpads! Everything is so much better now and the new clubs are really nice! The only thing I'm not really fond of is the spikey hair, it reminds me of dragonball and other evil animes in a bad way, the old hair rendering was much smoother.
Yeah, the impossible hair gets old and silly fast. The only reason I do it on sprites is the same reason heads get exaggerated; by making it this large, it gives enough room to show at least a few separate locks of hair going in different directions. I was actually quite dissatisfied with the old hair, though, which looked like a formless mop. I'll consider shrinking it down; it might be doable by a pixel or so without losing important details or the curved locks that indicate the round shape of the head. :hmm:

As far portraiture goes, his hair isn't "spiky"; I'm just trying to suggest something disheveled and unkempt. So there's a pretty wide gamut of possibilities.

In other news, I've finished a remake of the blocking for the orc archer's melee animation, which you can see below. I'm going to finish that and the crossbowman up in the next day or two (I have not committed the thug, I'll do so soon.
Attachments
orc-archer-melee.gif
orc-archer-melee.gif (3.88 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Oo, that looks cool :shock: . Isn't it a bit powerful for the archer's kinda pathetic melee attack? Or is the sword there temporarily to help making the motion or something?
For the dark gods!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Girgistian wrote:Oo, that looks cool :shock: . Isn't it a bit powerful for the archer's kinda pathetic melee attack? Or is the sword there temporarily to help making the motion or something?
The length? Yeah, it is a bit. I can shorten it. :)

You're right, though - in a mockup/block like this, that's a secondary concern to getting the motion right.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

*Stomps on superiors foot*
I followed the discussion about the footpad's hair all the way to kitty's portrait thread, and tried to do something useful for a change. So blah.
Attachments
blah.png
blah.png (4.85 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
For the dark gods!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Crossbowman blockup: includes defense as the first few frames, kinda like the orcs grunts.
Attachments
xbowman-melee.gif
xbowman-melee.gif (5.21 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

It somehow doesn't feel as powerful as the others - I think it's down to that fact that he slows and stops the swing before he runs out of room for it, making the swing much horter than, say, the grunt's equivalent.

Not that it's a bad animation, just that it feels different from the other orcs, i think.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

If that counts for anything, his melee isnt supposed to be his most flashy area of character.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

However, feeling less powerful than the previous level isn't so handy...