Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Re: Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Post by Jetrel »

The highwayman is now totally done and committed; I took TSI's crit into account, and a raised front leg makes this work nicely.

Another unit line finished.
Attachments
highwayman-melee.gif
highwayman-melee.gif (10.45 KiB) Viewed 18324 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

There are a number of units (mostly the cavalry) that I've made updated base frames for, and haven't gotten around to replacing the "barely worth having" animations images on. For the cavalry, rather than knuckling down right away and trying to get really good animations done for them, I'm instead going to make sure their new base frames get in the game ASAP.

There's actually not much on my list of stuff that needs base frame enhancements; the two big blocks are the elves, which I've got most of the new base frames done for, and the cavalry, which again I've mostly got the frames for, except the cavalier, lancer, and elven line.

I also have those in-progress complete overhauls to do to the footpad, trapper/poacher, and thief/rogue. The assassin and ranger/huntsman need some minor, but not too invasive tweaks, as does the royal warrior. Those I'll probably "wait on" - not uploading the base frames until I get their attack animations upgraded. There are also, as long shot efforts, the ancient lich and fire dragon. Loosely my plan is: human cavalry -> outlaws -> elves -> others.

To start things I've, I've committed an update to the current pillager art. I haven't improved the animations.
Attachments
pillager.png
pillager.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 17911 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jetrel wrote:Image
:hmm:

To me, the head is clearly way too long. It's not so much the size (even though it's pretty massive), but the fact that it's so unnaturally elongated. Tweak on the right.
Attachments
pillager-head.png
pillager-head.png (5.69 KiB) Viewed 17863 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I appreciate the crit, but it's identical to the goblin knight, and not too unrealistic (c.f. greyhounds). Your edit basically knocks it back to the size of the L1. I think the head size is correct as it is.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Somehow feels like the cavalier should have a different helmet/faceguard, but I'm done for the night. Otherwise I'm quite happy with it.

As previously noted, once I'm done with the lancer, I'll commit over the current ones, sans-animation, because the current animations are a joke. I'd rather spend my time on serious animations for some other overhauls.
Attachments
cavalrymans.png
cavalrymans.png (23.41 KiB) Viewed 17573 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Heavily inspired by the design of Lordbob's portrait.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/download/file.php?id=35203 if anyone wants a quick link to it. :)
Attachments
lancer.png
lancer.png (3.95 KiB) Viewed 17393 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The horse is noticeably smaller than the knight's horse from page 65. I think this one is just 1px higher than the horseman, whereas the knight is about 3px wider and 1-2px higher.

I could bet money that if you'd leave it like that, you'd just end up biggerizing the horse sometime later.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

zookeeper wrote:
The horse is noticeably smaller than the knight's horse from page 65. I think this one is just 1px higher than the horseman, whereas the knight is about 3px wider and 1-2px higher.

I could bet money that if you'd leave it like that, you'd just end up biggerizing the horse sometime later.
Nope. That's entirely deliberate - the lancer is supposed to have a small, fast horse.

That said, another pixel or two of width might not hurt.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd say that would be an idea - currently, the unit looks kind of top heavy due to the size of the armour and helm. Otherwise cool, looking forward to seeing these guys in.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I am having trouble reading the face. I thought the eye was a slit in a visor, but since you mention the portrait, maybe it is open-faced. Maybe his skin could be darker? So it doesn't blend in with the helmet.

It does look nice though.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

The face is readable enough to me, these are looking great. :) Nothing else to say!
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon