Dfool of many colors

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Re: Dfool of many colors

Post by Darth Fool »

Eleazar wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:So, I would agree that reserving a range of colors in the code is a bad idea. However,
we can make a macro for different reserved ranges that an artist could use and then
the only addition to the unit file might be something like:

Code: Select all

{FLAG_MAGENTA}
or maybe

Code: Select all

flag_rgb={FLAG_MAGENTA}
Has this part been implemented yet?
So I suspect(?) that this is what jetryl is refering to. All that really needs to be done is for the artists (you and jetryl) to provide a limited pallette of colors to use. I would suggest no more than 8. A png file with these colors in it would be good to. The key here is that none of this requires recompiling the code, only changes to the WML. I am assuming that Jetryl knows enough wml to implement this. If you need help, let me know.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

This file shows how a team colors will be show up on various teams.
Attachments
teamColor.jpg
teamColor.jpg (158.48 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
elvishArcher.jpg
elvishArcher.jpg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
Last edited by Eleazar on December 6th, 2005, 5:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

A color swatch to use - none of this has been WMLed yet.

The colors in this, in RGB format, are respectively, from left to right:

63,0,22 - 85,0,42 - 105,0,57 - 123,0,69 - 140,0,81
158,0,93 - 177,0,105 - 195,0,116 - 214,0,127 - 236,0,140
238,61,150 - 239,91,161 - 241,114,172 - 242,135,182 - 244,154,193
246,173,205 - 248,193,217 - 250,213,229 - 253,233,241
Attachments
ColorSwatch.png
ColorSwatch.png (314 Bytes) Viewed 4650 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The Elvish Captain, with a standard (strapped on the back, samurai-style) in the team color, and a headband and cape to match. The unit has been increased in size, and given bigger shoulderpads, making him look considerably more different from the fighter than he was before. The standard provides two things - the first is an obvious splash of the team color, but the second is a non-ambiguous indication that the unit has leadership. Some of our team colors are really going to need to be altered after we get this in motion, changed to something more tasteful. On a side note, I'm going to use this whole thing as an excuse to touch-up most of the wood-elf graphics with my vastly-improved spriting skills (all of the fighter-origin legs need some reshading, and I'll make the higher-level units more obviously high-level). :)

I'm still baffled as to what we're gonna do to recolor the druid/shyde - if anything. Perhaps some units just don't get team colors? Who knows...
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Jetryl wrote: I'm still baffled as to what we're gonna do to recolor the druid/shyde - if anything. Perhaps some units just don't get team colors? Who knows...
The headband?
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Emmanovi wrote:
Jetryl wrote: I'm still baffled as to what we're gonna do to recolor the druid/shyde - if anything. Perhaps some units just don't get team colors? Who knows...
The headband?
NYSPOS - they don't have headbands to begin with. Know your facts before you speak, please - signal/noise is a problem here. (I'm becoming more and more convinced that special staff-only forum sections would save us so much time).

Anyways, more tweaks...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Also, some tweaks to the female elvish archer in the interests of making it look more effeminate - Eleazar had rightfully wanted this (old -> new comparison image). This should hopefully allow me to keep the same stance on both genders of this unit.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Very impressive!

I do have to add that the eyes in the latest versions aren't very clear - in the latest version they seem to go wayfarer-style. The female archer almost looks as if she has no eyes at all!

This one had good eyes:

wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Kestenvarn wrote:Very impressive!

I do have to add that the eyes in the latest versions aren't very clear - in the latest version they seem to go wayfarer-style. The female archer almost looks as if she has no eyes at all!

This one had good eyes:
Ugh something against it actual the eyes I made were different from Jetryl's new ones.

But I like the new look of the captains especially the new female Archer is nice.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

jetryl: I like what you've done to the Fem elve's hips. That does help. She looks more elvish cause she's looks even slimer. I do, however, agree with Kestenvarn that the face got too "mushy"

The changes to the elvish captain are good, but i think you went too far in broadening his width (espt for a one level increase) He seems to get wider out of proportion to his increase in height, and thereby looses some of his Elvish identity.

(you realize you've lowered the baseline that the captain is standing on, right?)
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Jetryl wrote:
Emmanovi wrote: The headband?
NYSPOS - they don't have headbands to begin with. Know your facts before you speak, please - signal/noise is a problem here. (I'm becoming more and more convinced that special staff-only forum sections would save us so much time).
My apologies. I was thinking of the shaman's cap.
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Disto

Post by Disto »

This is one of the coolest ideas i've seen in a long time, i'm glad it's getting somewhere too, how far have you got? Because I may be tempted to compile from source.
Last edited by Disto on December 6th, 2005, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Is it me or the new elvish female archer appear a little taller ?
Did you also changed the male archer to match the same size ?

Btw, very nice work !
Disto

Post by Disto »

Noyga wrote:Is it me or the new elvish female archer appear a little taller ?
Did you also changed the male archer to match the same size ?

Btw, very nice work !
It's you but they do appear to be taller. Graphically the only size difference heightwise is the feather which is only a few pixels.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Disto wrote:... how far have you got? Because I may be tempted to compile from source.
not too far yet:
some of the horsemen/knights,
a few of the human undead,
and most of the elvish fighters & archers so far commited.
Most units will require a certain amount of editing...
Attempting Lucidity