Request: new tropical trees

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Request: new tropical trees

Post by freim »

I'm gonna redo the tropical forest as a multihex terrain like the other forests soon. However, I'm not particularly satisfied with how the current tropical trees look. They are a bit to bland and "flat" looking, and could do with more variants.

I'm kind of bogged down atm, so if anyone would have a go at this it would be great. Yobbo, you did a good job on those swamp plants, I imagine you could make something good here. Of course if anyone else is int., feel free to have a go.

Attached are the current trees used.

Gimp file with trees and shadows in seperate layers:
http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~haskjold/wesnot ... _trees.xcf

Edit: I only need the trees, I can make the tiles.
Attachments
tropical_trees.png
tropical_trees.png (9.7 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I just wish the tropical forest looked more "thick" than it is now; it's just so "meh"; I want thick jungles baby!
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Neoriceisgood wrote:I just wish the tropical forest looked more "thick" than it is now; it's just so "meh"; I want thick jungles baby!
Thick jungles would probably just look like an unidentifiable mess I'm afraid.

Since no one seems interested I'm just gonna convert the current ones to multihex for now.
JW

Post by JW »

I think the change is a good idea as I agree that the tropical forest is slightly bland currently. Good luck in your work.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

I had added some shadows to the current trees - which might ameliorate the flat / bland feeling. But to tell the truth, the current tropical forest tiles are already one of my favorites. They were one of the ones that when I first saw them I thought "hehe, that's great".

Here are the shadows. Not that they're anything stunning ;). I also cut the tops of the trees off and put them on a separate layer. When multihexing them, I reckon you should merge the shadows with the tree trunks layer. So the shadows shade the trunks, but not the treetops, and it looks more... well, 3D.
Attachments
tropical_trees.xcf.zip
trees with shadows
(16.27 KiB) Downloaded 568 times