+Female elvish archer units

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Please remember if you are going to modify these units that the sex of the unit has no gameplay effect. Whereas it is essential to be able to visually distinguish different unit types from each other, determining what gender a unit has is irrelevent to gameplay and must, therefore be only a secondary consideration. The one thing that is obvious from all the responses is that different people key in on different aspects of unit graphics to determine which similarly looking unit is of what type. Please keep this in mind when considering trying to differentiate the sexes.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Psychadelic Avatar Dude, woah look at all the pretty colours man
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Darth Fool wrote:Please remember if you are going to modify these units that the sex of the unit has no gameplay effect. ... different people key in on different aspects of unit graphics ....
One thing that can really help here is consistency between different lines. People may key in on different things, but if you're consistent, then it's easier for people to learn to key in on the right things.

If a single attribute (for example, hairstyle) is used as a primary indicator of sex differences (i.e. non-differences), then people can easily learn to ignore the hair when looking at units. If, on the other hand, for one set of units, you have to ignore the hair, and for another, you have to ignore the stance, that's harder for everyone.

(I know I said I was done with this discussion, but the point about consistency is, I think, to important to pass over.)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

D.Fool and Xtifr make good points here.

I'd just like to add that the two genders of a single units are already strongly differentiated in one area: the noise they make when hit.

That's the only gamplay reason i have for wanting them to look slightly more distinct: It's disconcerting to hear a unit you thought was a guy scream like a girl when attacked.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Flamie

Post by Flamie »

My personal opinion is that the units ar equipped for battle, thus their equipment is more determining what class they have than their stance.
Also I'd rather see all girls be hat free if one girl is to be, and all males have hats if one male is to be (both these statements apply to lines of units).

All personal opinions.
I'm Roze. I'm an Era and Map-maker.
yeahthatguy

Post by yeahthatguy »

Since someone brought this topic up... why not reduce the amount of hair on the males? I'm sure that'll make them easier to tell apart ( especially in the higher levels ).
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Well, I may just be stating the obvious, but... male elves are pretty effeminate looking, even before they get reduced to a few pixels. :lol:

Personally, I like the proposed change. Anyone who thinks it may be a different unit type would quickly learn that it is an identical in all respects but gender.