New castle grapchics (?)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I've been away from home and internet for almost a week, and have spent some spare time on making a new-style ruined keep. All tiles are basically finished, and now I'll just need to create some variations via cut-and-paste. I'll post what I've done along with a screenshot in a day or two. If sinking it will be easy (yeah, I'd like those layers in that case) I think I can do it as well, otherwise the sunken keep has to just use the normal ruined keep tiles.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

You rule. It'll be nice to see this finished and polished for 1.2.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Here's a little status report on the ruined keep. Most of the towers and quite a few walls (mostly on the "outside") still need some ruining, but that and the variations should be reasonably easy to do at this point.

And yes, I'm aware of the other obvious mistakes and areas of improvement.
Attachments
ruinkeep.jpg
ruinkeep.jpg (91.7 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

zookeeper wrote:Here's a little status report on the ruined keep. Most of the towers and quite a few walls (mostly on the "outside") still need some ruining, but that and the variations should be reasonably easy to do at this point.

And yes, I'm aware of the other obvious mistakes and areas of improvement.
The fuzziness of the jpeg format makes it kind of hard to judge. Maybe post a smaller image as png?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

freim wrote:The fuzziness of the jpeg format makes it kind of hard to judge. Maybe post a smaller image as png?
I'll work on the variations a bit more before posting further screenshots (that'll be more suitable for judging).
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

The first batch of the keep ruins complete. That makes alltogether 20%. The sunken keep doesn't work too well, because the castle was moved upwards 8px. I could fix it, but then the sunken keep would't work with swamp at all.. :/

Moving on..
Attachments
preview
preview
ruinkeep-inside.png (132.8 KiB) Viewed 6486 times
sunken-ruinkeep1-inside.zip
files
(79.03 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Here is the modified terrain-graphics.cfg. There are no variations in the upcoming keep ruin. The 2nd and 3rd variations of the old keep ruin files should be removed from SVN. Try before committing - I'm not a WML guru...
Attachments
terrain-graphics.cfg
modified for the new keep ruins.
(26.48 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Spamming again this thread with some files.

I've fixed some waterline problems in the sunken keep. I included a modified terrain-graphics.cfg. It works fine with my comp, but I do encourage to test it before committing. For now on the castle shouldn't sink to the swamp.
Attachments
sunkenkeep-fix.zip
(80.97 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
freim

Post by freim »

Commited.

When we eventually get more available terrain chars we can give each it's own char which will allow a proper sunken swamp also.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Gosh, does this mean your computer is working again, pekka? :D

(Quite a nice thing, if it is...)
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

The next keep ruin batch 2/5. There is no sunken versions included. There appears to be some unsolved problems with those.
Attachments
ruinkeep1-wall-0.zip
(44.98 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

The next batch. ruinkeep1-wall-1-*.png done.

The placeholder files aren't ruined, but they are used very rarely in the game. Even if these particular tiles weren't ruined, the entire keep ruins still look decent.
Attachments
ruinkeep1-wall-1.zip
(50.68 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
ruinkeep1-keep-placeholders.zip
(31.7 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

The 8 pixel shift is killing me!!! :evil:

When I designed the keep/castle back in the winter 2005, I thought the waterline would be just on the edge of the hexes. Now the castle floor glows under the should-be-underwater-wall. :(

A possible partial fix for the problem could be achieved by adding a proper water transition tile under the castle tile and over the castle floor tile. Problem is that I can't try it because of my rotten WML skills.
Attachments
problem.png
problem.png (73.72 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

The last ruin batch for now, here you go. Should be enough for 1.2. Now its time to sink the remaining keep tiles. Zip includes 15 tiles and 6 of them are unruined sunken keep placeholders.

Summary:
- 254 castle/keep tiles ready for v1.2, 6 of them have some bugs with sinking and 12 of them are placeholders.
- Still missing 15 sunken tiles and 6 of them have some unsolved problems with sinking.

These numbers tell that I'm not going to draw swamp variations, if there will be need in the future. I've been strugling with this project far too long already. I'm sick of this castle, although I still like it somehow.
Attachments
ruinstuff.zip
(90.66 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
freim

Post by freim »

Good work pekka. I can fully understand you're tired of these now. I know the feeling :)