New castle grapchics (?)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

frame wrote:
Darth Fool wrote: Well, it might be better to make the villages smaller and actually have multiple houses per hex to get a consistent scale for buildings....
Basicly, I don't want that. I think the new villages look really good, and they would look worse if smaller (less room for details). I want the new villages to be the baseline for scale among buildings.

Edit: the castles looks kind of puny anyway. Making them look more like the grand structures they are would only be a good thing imo.
In that case, the best bet is to abandon the current methodology (nearly) entirely for castles
and instead use the whole hex. Castles would need to be made up of four or more tiles, a tower-hex, wall-hex, courtyard hex, keep hex, and mabye a gate hex. Moat hexes could follow. Maybe this is what you already have in mind.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Darth Fool wrote:In that case, the best bet is to abandon the current methodology (nearly) entirely for castles
and instead use the whole hex. Castles would need to be made up of four or more tiles, a tower-hex, wall-hex, courtyard hex, keep hex, and mabye a gate hex. Moat hexes could follow. Maybe this is what you already have in mind.
That would be desireable graphicly, but would kind of imply a totally different gameplay. I mean if we had a full sized gate (for instance) it would seem kinda silly that any unit can exit and enter the castle just as well from a wall.

It would be better, IMHO, to get rid of the currenlt castle graphics and replace them with "stockades" or "training camps" than to make huge, cool looking castles that loudly imply tacticaly advantages they don't actually give.
Last edited by Eleazar on November 7th, 2005, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
freim

Post by freim »

We can make the current castle about twice as high, stretching it in both directions while still using the same way of drawing it.

This will not cover the units to much, but it will make the overlapping issues more apparent.
Disto

Post by Disto »

We need new stockades, but i think castles are fine, well with the new graphics they are anyway :twisted:
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

frame wrote:yobbo, I find your dark version a bit to dark. It loses contrast and gets a bit blurry.
Aye, that it does. But it looks evil :twisted:
frame wrote:It would also be nice with some changed shapes, not just a recoloring.
Indeed. I propose a recoloring for a placeholder though, until someone makes something proper.
frame wrote:I would rather see it recolored with a hue change.
This is easy to do. In fact, I made a gimp script that recolors all the keep and castle tiles with no intervention by me. It actually colours the tops of the keeps separately from the rest of the tile, but after trying a few colours I settled on a 180degree hue change for everything. I tried blue for the tops of the keeps, but I felt the blue of the castle made it too much.

Anyway, when pekka's done updating things I can recolour it to whatever, if it would be useful.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

I look at that image and something just doesn't look right. I think it's that the perspective is slightly different between the village and the castle turrets, by 5-10 degrees, enough to make them look awkward next to each other.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I've almost finished the graphics for the current castle methodology, but I'm not going to finish them if there will be major methodological changes. I have no time to make methodological tests because I am oriented to graphical details and polishing which I make for fun in my very limited free time. I'll continue my work on castle after the methodological decisions are made.

The angle of the castle towers and keep is probably impossible to fit entirely with the villages and other buildings because of current castle methodology: Other building are on one hex and the castle is composed from multiple hex.
freim

Post by freim »

pekka wrote:I've almost finished the graphics for the current castle methodology, but I'm not going to finish them if there will be major methodological changes. I have no time to make methodological tests because I am oriented to graphical details and polishing which I make for fun in my very limited free time. I'll continue my work on castle after the methodological decisions are made.

The angle of the castle towers and keep is probably impossible to fit entirely with the villages and other buildings because of current castle methodology: Other building are on one hex and the castle is composed from multiple hex.
You can finish them using the current methods I think. I don't want to change the way they are composed. It's not possible to get them in scale anyway atm, so lets just continue with this for the time being. The new castles are a great improvement anyway.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

charlieg wrote:I look at that image and something just doesn't look right. I think it's that the perspective is slightly different between the village and the castle turrets, by 5-10 degrees, enough to make them look awkward next to each other.
There does seem to be a slight difference in angle. I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it (if anything) but i doubt the castle will change for that. It's much simpler to adjust the perspective on a single hex-though maybe not worth it.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Updated castle graphics:
-colors damped
-tower wall texture polished
-added some dirt/sand inside the castle
-color adjustments on the walkable parts of the castle

Now that I see this on another monitor the castle seems to be far too dark..
Attachments
castle.zip
(59.31 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
cas.png
cas.png (187.79 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

It seemed too dark at first glance, but after a dozen seconds, it seems fine...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I think the issue of the shade of the castle has a lot to do with the color of the castle floor hex. Basically, the new graphics make the castle floor seem too bright.
dtw

Post by dtw »

Isn't the most recent screenie the only one using the new paths graphic? Whereas the old ones were using something else? I prefered that.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

They are too dark. They blend in with the terrain, but the castle is supposed to stand out. I prefer the brightness in the castles-everywhere image...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
freim

Post by freim »

Pekka, ok so now we got:
1. Your polished walls/towers, but without corresponding keep gfx
2. Lighter unfinished walls/towers, but with corresponding keep gfx

Could you redo the coloring on yours to match the keep?