New castle grapchics (?)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

that last batch, shifted 9pix up and commited.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Sunken keep batch 3. The last 4 tiles done and corrected opacity from 2 older tiles.

Eleazar: Should I shift the upcoming castle/keep tiles 9 pixels upwards? Or is it easy for you to use the ImageReady action, which does it automatically?
Attachments
sunkenkeep-batch3.zip
batch 3
(33.77 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

pekka wrote:Eleazar: Should I shift the upcoming castle/keep tiles 9 pixels upwards? Or is it easy for you to use the ImageReady action, which does it automatically?
Commited.
it's very simple to shift these images, but unless there's a good reason to, i'd prefer not to have to keep doing it.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Eleazar wrote:
pekka wrote:Eleazar: Should I shift the upcoming castle/keep tiles 9 pixels upwards? Or is it easy for you to use the ImageReady action, which does it automatically?
Commited.
it's very simple to shift these images, but unless there's a good reason to, i'd prefer not to have to keep doing it.
Maybe it is easier for you to shift the ready tiles I post with that neat automated action, than to me to shift every sunken castle/keep transparency mask files. There are lots of them and they aren't in common format.

Here is castle concave-ne sunken and ruined. Not shifted, sorry.
Attachments
concave-ne.zip
(60.01 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

pekka wrote:Maybe it is easier for you to shift the ready tiles I post with that neat automated action, than to me to shift every sunken castle/keep transparency mask files. There are lots of them and they aren't in common format.

Here is castle concave-ne sunken and ruined. Not shifted, sorry.
It's not a big deal. Commited.

by the way Pekka, i'm commiting your stuff without checking for errors or quality. (But it does save me time :) ) I don't genrally do that, but if you had the right situation you would be commiting these yourself.
Attempting Lucidity
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Here are the corrections for the glitches that came up when the castle/keep was shifted 9px upwards. I've tested the tiles in game and they seem to work. Sunken keep is also here and corrected.
Attachments
keep-corrections.zip
(140.84 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
freim

Post by freim »

Corrected tiles commited.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Here is some more sunken castle tiles: sunken-ruin-convex-nw and the variations. I browsed the files in trunk and found out that sunken-ruin-concave-w tile is not updated. Maybe I haven't sent it yet, so I'll do it now. The tiles are shifted 9px upwards.

I also found a WML bug in sunken keep. There shouldn't be keep to water transition tiles used.
Attachments
sunken-ruin-convex-nw.zip
(47.17 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
sunken-ruin-concave-w.png
sunken-ruin-concave-w.png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 6295 times
bug.jpg
bug.jpg (9.77 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
freim

Post by freim »

pekka wrote: I also found a WML bug in sunken keep. There shouldn't be keep to water transition tiles used.
Fixed in trunk.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

The last castle tile batch! Phew! The tiles are shifted.
ruin-concave-nw
sunken-ruin-concave-nw
Attachments
castle-last-batch.zip
(77.61 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I'm working with the orcish castle and here are some 3d sketches I've got ready this far. I have to say that I don't like it too much. The roof design is too oriental at the moment. The idea was to make the castle very encampment-like - a wall of sharpened spikes - and the keep would have been more fortified. What do you think, should the castle part be more fortified? Maybe I shouldn't use 3d here at all.
Attachments
orcish-castle-concept.jpg
orcish-castle-concept.jpg (26.04 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
orcish-castle-tower-concept.jpg
orcish-castle-tower-concept.jpg (25.03 KiB) Viewed 5944 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

pekka wrote:I'm working with the orcish castle and here are some 3d sketches I've got ready this far. I have to say that I don't like it too much. The idea was to make the castle very encampment-like - a wall of sharpened spikes - and the keep would have been more fortified. What do you think, should the castle part be more fortified? Maybe I shouldn't use 3d here at all.
It's a great tool for proofing general ideas (if you have a decent program).

I'd say that one way to resolve this would be to make the wooden beams stick out of a poorly contructed stone barrier; a halfways point between real stone buildings, and a wooden palisade.
pekka wrote:The roof design is too oriental at the moment.
Uhm, yeah. :)
freim

Post by freim »

Commited the last batch. I've been rather busy lately so I have probably missed some of them. Could you look through them and see if there are any you have finished that I haven't commited?

If there is it would be nice if you could collect them all in a single zip.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

frame: I looked through the castle tiles and there seems to be all the finished ones committed.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Problems!

Version 1.2 is coming behind the corner and the ruining project isn't complete yet. I'd love complete it, but my computer is broken ATM, and I'm surely not able to draw anything before 1.2. = no replacement parts available.

Could any artist decent enough take the task and draw ~30 remaining keep ruin variations and the sunken versions of them? I'd really like to do it myself because I consider it as my personal project, but now that the next stable version will be released so soon I can compromise.

I can help with the sunken versions by sending the uniform wave graphic layers, alpha masks and adjustment layers.

:cry: