Revised Cave Walls

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Revised Cave Walls

Post by Eleazar »

It's bugged me that the cave walls were not the same color as the floor. I started out to fix the color and ended up doing more. Notice the cave passages are wider now.

I think this is more in keeping with the more realistic terrain were trying to achieve. It might have too many cracks. Note: the dwarven keeps still use the old terrain were they touch the walls.
Attachments
old on left, new on right.
old on left, new on right.
new cave wall.jpg (144.04 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
cavewall.zip
(94.81 KiB) Downloaded 644 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Holy crap, I want to make love to you.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Holy crap, I want to make love to you.
Me too!!
freim

Post by freim »

Looks very good.

I was thinking, what if you soften the black outline betweem the cracks at the bottom a bit so it looks a bit more like it's one with the floor.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

OK, less abrupt seam with the floor, as well as improved variety of cavefloor tiles.
Attachments
new cave wall2.jpg
new cave wall2.jpg (122.58 KiB) Viewed 8628 times
cave wall and floor.zip
(157.61 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I'm envious, next I want you to fix the cavefloor to =>? transition so that it actually goes under things like grass, I find the current one hidious.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I'm less enthusiastic. I like how the old cave walls curved back and forth and seemed more jagged. The new ones seem too straight. But the new cave floor illustrations are nice.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Would there be a way to randomize the walls so certain parts of it are jagged?
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Neoriceisgood wrote:...fix the cavefloor to =>? transition so that it actually goes under things like grass...
:arrow: The fact that the cave tiles go over the grass is because of the way the "terrain-graphics.cfg" is set up. This .cfg file has gotten a lot more complicated since i last was around, i'm not sure what all the ramifications would be of changing it.

:arrow: I didn't purposely remove the "curviness." As i state here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 400#105400 I don't believe it's usually desireable to remove the waviness in favor of making a straight line. It just happened as a result of making the cave walls encroach on the cave floor less.

:arrow: I don't know if we've ever made a tile that has alternating transitions (which is what the cave walls are). I'd be interested if there were, but probably worry about that later. As i've said before, (but not recently) transitions are the most time consuming and least rewarding part of terrain building. Changes to other tiles can make that work instantly obsolete, so finessing transitions usually should happen last.
Attempting Lucidity
Loki

Post by Loki »

Neoriceisgood wrote:I'm envious, next I want you to fix the cavefloor to =>? transition so that it actually goes under things like grass, I find the current one hidious.
The new walls look very rad. I agree that the perfect straightness isn't the best, but it's a vast improvement over the old ones. Something halfway between the old and new in terms of curvature, perhaps?

Back on the subject of transitions: What if terrain like mountains and hills were placed on top of the cave wall (not grass and such, obviously)? Right now it looks like a big black valley in the mountains, rather than being subterranean. With the mountains/hills above the walls, they'd give the impression of a whole mountain range that covers the top of the cave. The hills would clog up the mouth of the cave a bit more too.
freim

Post by freim »

Looks very nice. The problem with having "curviness" is that it is incredibly hard to use withouth making a repeating pattern which isn't very nice imo.

I'm gonna commit these tommorrow.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ignoring all else, the cave floor is undeniably an improvement.
Eleazar wrote: :arrow: I don't know if we've ever made a tile that has alternating transitions (which is what the cave walls are). I'd be interested if there were, but probably worry about that later. As i've said before, (but not recently) transitions are the most time consuming and least rewarding part of terrain building. Changes to other tiles can make that work instantly obsolete, so finessing transitions usually should happen last.
It is possible to make such a thing, and as in this case we would need only one set, it would be relatively easy. Cave wall is nice because it truly has only one set of transitions: the wall, which is the same regardless of what it is overlaid on.

Trying to do multiple transitions for something like water would be ... frightful.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Frame:
I fixed a glitch with the naming and the terrain-graphics.cfg

When you commit please add the following text to "terrain-graphics.cfg" as well as use the attached graphics which have been "crunched" to a smaller filesize.
This will keep stalagmites from appearing under every dwarven village.

{TERRAIN_BASE_PROB u cave-floor4 10}
{TERRAIN_BASE_PROB u cave-floor3 3}
{TERRAIN_BASE_PROB u cave-floor2 15}
{TERRAIN_BASE_PROB u cave-floor 10}
{TERRAIN_BASE u cave-floor1}

:!: Please Note: The Dwarven Castle doesn't match the new cave walls. Perhaps someone more familiar with Castle building would want to work on that?
Attachments
Cave.zip
(117.34 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
Last edited by Eleazar on October 11th, 2005, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attempting Lucidity
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I love these! And I'm pro-flater transitions. I know nature isn't straight and rigid like hexagons, but I think regular curviness is much worse because it looks so unatural. And I don't either edge style obscures the borders of the tiles.

If however we could get multiple tile transitions, that would be optimal, we'd get a little bit of both and much less regularity which makes it look more natural. I hope that's supported.[/b]
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Looks good. With the new cave villages, it would be perfect.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon