paved roads

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Looks good. It would be nice if the corners could be curvified.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

looks great. What is the new wml, an adjacent hex macro?
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Darth Fool wrote:looks great. What is the new wml, an adjacent hex macro?
It just looks for link-road sections (the thin bits), and draws them as an overlay, while flagging the surrounding hexes not to draw overlay transitions. Then I used the normal macros to draw the road as it was before, except as an overlay, so it doesn't affect those parts that have already been drawn as link-roads :).

It's actually really fun to play with in the map editor ;).

Of course, now there are issues like the road overlapping mountains...

I'll post the WML when I can track down the strange "invalid surface" error I'm getting, which doesn't seem to affect anything :?.
khamul

Post by khamul »

It would be really nice to see this used to do streams, as well.

The shallow water tiles are sufficiently large in scale, compared to the other hexes, that it's very difficult to make them look like a small river or a stream. They end up looking like lakes and great rivers. That tends to look a little funny, because there's no tributaries flowing into them.

What would be really nice is a narrow stream that could be layered over the base terrain. A transition to broaden it when it meets a shallow water/deep water/swamp tile would be great.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Cool :)

Could you post the tiles and wml as a tar.gz?

Post by guest »

Hello.

Is there a way to have the elven village in yobbo's image to be shown with the new road below it, instead of grassland? Or is it complicated, possibly due to some issues with background / overlaying, which I admit to being completely unfamiliar with?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

On yobbo's latest image the roads are, IMHO, not very good-looking. In the straight lines where there is grassland underneath they look ok, but the bulky things at the ends of the bridge and the bulky mass at the bottom right look very bad.
Martim

Post by Martim »

Great!

what about a yellow one o Oz? :wink: :P
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I think they look good but they look really really really thick.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Well, I got the roads to draw underneath things like hills. And snow. WooOoOoo, snow-covered roads....

I still can't figure out why it says <illegal surface portion...> when wesnoth loads :(. I can't figure out where this damn <error display: could not open image ''> is coming from either, but that's been there for ages.

Here's the extra files. The adjacent.cfg in here supercedes the one I posted before (I changed the name of the 6-sided transition to "{IMAGE}-all"). I think the terrain-graphics.cfg is current with respect to svn, apart from the stuff I modified.
Attachments
Sharp.
Sharp.
underhillsandtrees.jpg (106.94 KiB) Viewed 5897 times
roads-extra.tar.gz
addition to the bits posted before
(120.28 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
freim

Post by freim »

yobbo wrote:Well, I got the roads to draw underneath things like hills. And snow. WooOoOoo, snow-covered roads....

I still can't figure out why it says <illegal surface portion...> when wesnoth loads :(. I can't figure out where this damn <error display: could not open image ''> is coming from either, but that's been there for ages.

Here's the extra files. The adjacent.cfg in here supercedes the one I posted before (I changed the name of the 6-sided transition to "{IMAGE}-all"). I think the terrain-graphics.cfg is current with respect to svn, apart from the stuff I modified.
This looks great :)

I'll look into the first error, the second has been there forever and is harmless if annoying.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

turin wrote:Looks good. It would be nice if the corners could be curvified.
They can, but I don't think I'll be the one to do it, I like the corners ;)
khamul wrote:It would be really nice to see this used to do streams, as well.
This should be possible with the WML I made for the roads. In fact if someone draws them then I'll sort out any problems with the WML.
guest wrote:Is there a way to have the elven village in yobbo's image to be shown with the new road below it, instead of grassland? Or is it complicated, possibly due to some issues with background / overlaying, which I admit to being completely unfamiliar with?
It's complicated. If you wanted to do it for a campaign you could theoretically define a custom terrain for it.
zookeeper wrote:On yobbo's latest image the roads are, IMHO, not very good-looking. In the straight lines where there is grassland underneath they look ok, but the bulky things at the ends of the bridge and the bulky mass at the bottom right look very bad.
Get over it :P.
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

This looks alot better with overlaying terrains, nice.

It looks slightyly wierd crossing over the ice with grassland edges but I figure no one really paves a road on ice anyway so it might not be a necessary transition :P

Nice work I like them.
freim

Post by freim »

dreampilot wrote:This looks alot better with overlaying terrains, nice.

It looks slightyly wierd crossing over the ice with grassland edges but I figure no one really paves a road on ice anyway so it might not be a necessary transition :P

Nice work I like them.
At the moment the road has a fixed bg, namely grassland. Moving to several map layers to remove this limitation is planned.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

dreampilot wrote:This looks alot better with overlaying terrains, nice.

Nice work I like them.
Isn't ice frozen water? So, it would make the most sense to not us road at all when going over it, but instead use a bridge. (A paved bridge would be nice, BTW).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm