paved roads

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

So, I finally made some neater edges I'm relatively happy with.

I'd be happier if the game would accept my 5-sided transitions :( (I even made a 6-sided one, am I keen or what).

I made them all hexy 'cos I think it's kawaii.

I'd be ultra mega super duper happy if I could upload the tiles, but The Board says it's out of space :(. Was it something I did?
Attachments
mmm, straight lines
mmm, straight lines
tidyroads.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

hmm, interesting. This one fits to overlap more terrain I think, although that would make it very wide... we should have a new WML macro to make roads, eg. "connected tiles". Maybe it could be drawn as the bridges?

That would req. that we fix the annoying "fixed bg tile" issue though.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I absolutely love it.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I think it looks very nice, it's just a bit too wide with the way transitions are drawn in this screenshot.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Maybe there could be a bridge that would fit that new kind of road. The bridges we now have don't look good at all with the new road.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Tux2B wrote:Maybe there could be a bridge that would fit that new kind of road. The bridges we now have don't look good at all with the new road.
It looks OK to me...
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

I'm curious as to how you pulled off the straight edges-- good work.
Though i think (with an expanded terrain alphabet) there is room in Wesnoth for both kinds of stony terrains.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
freim

Post by freim »

To clarify what I meant: I would like to see how this turned out if it where drawn like the bridge is now. This is because I find the road nice looking, but a bit wide with this trans and I think it would look better if a bit narrower.

This way we could make other nicer versions of roads also that would "go through" a bg tile instead of being an entire tile itself.

Atm they would need to have a fixed bg though, like the bridge, but this is a limitation we want to remove anyway.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

looks to sharp for me
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
hands

Post by hands »

I think it looks good. There are cases where your road could be used very nicely as-is (especially for indoor-type scenarios), but I think that it is too wide for most maps unless you want to rename it as highway or something.
frame wrote:To clarify what I meant: I would like to see how this turned out if it where drawn like the bridge is now. This is because I find the road nice looking, but a bit wide with this trans and I think it would look better if a bit narrower.

This way we could make other nicer versions of roads also that would "go through" a bg tile instead of being an entire tile itself.

Atm they would need to have a fixed bg though, like the bridge, but this is a limitation we want to remove anyway.
Are you thinking that roads and bridges could fit within the same subset of tiles? By using a two-letter terrain system (sorry to bring this up again), roads and bridges could both use "/" "" "|" keys to indicate directions for single-tile width roads. The second letter would then be available to reference 52 different directional road/bridge/"some future need" terrain types. That would definitely change the direction of road development a bit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Roads meet, combine, split, whatever more often than bridges do. If we want to convert roads to the current bridge methodology, we would need not only symbols for running N-S, NE-SW, NW-SE, but also symbols for N-NE-SE, N-NE-S, N-NE-SW, N-NE-NW, N-SE-S, N-SE-SW, N-SE-NW, etc.

It would make much more sense to either leave them as they are, or come up with an algorithm thatwould just pick the right tile to use for each of the situations listed about, but have the same letter ("R") for each.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
freim

Post by freim »

turin wrote:Roads meet, combine, split, whatever more often than bridges do. If we want to convert roads to the current bridge methodology, we would need not only symbols for running N-S, NE-SW, NW-SE, but also symbols for N-NE-SE, N-NE-S, N-NE-SW, N-NE-NW, N-SE-S, N-SE-SW, N-SE-NW, etc.

It would make much more sense to either leave them as they are, or come up with an algorithm thatwould just pick the right tile to use for each of the situations listed about, but have the same letter ("R") for each.
That was the idea.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:P I read it badly.

However, if we are going to create an algorithm that will determine the sides to use, why wouldn't we use it for all road variations, including the "/", "\", and "|"? It doesn't make sense to me to have 4 different letters for a terrain type that would only need 1. Especially since the way the editor currently works, you would need to change what terrain you were selecting every time you wanted to make a road curve.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
freim

Post by freim »

turin wrote::P I read it badly.

However, if we are going to create an algorithm that will determine the sides to use, why wouldn't we use it for all road variations, including the "/", "", and "|"? It doesn't make sense to me to have 4 different letters for a terrain type that would only need 1. Especially since the way the editor currently works, you would need to change what terrain you were selecting every time you wanted to make a road curve.
Yeah, it should be changed like that. I don't know how hard the WML for this stuff would be though. Thats a question for Ayin I guess.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

I'm (slowly) converting Wercator from Perl to C++, in order to make a few special effects easier to do and get the codebase rationalized. As a result, I'll eventually (eh, say a month or two - real life's been crazy busy) have GPL'd C++ code to take a Wesnoth map (or a connected chunk of tile coordinates) and return a Bezier curve spec.

I doubt this would be useful unless you're planning a *much* more drastic overhaul of the terrain code than it looks like, but I thought I'd let you all know just in case. Let me know if it'd be handy, and I can try to speed things up some.
Author of Wercator