Request: New unpassable terrain

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Request: New unpassable terrain

Post by freim »

It seems cave wall are seeing increasing use in maps for impassable terrain. Obviously cave wall wasn't intended to be used like this and it has several shortcomings. It doesn't look very good when used for anything but caves and it has some transitional problems as well.

Of course since cave wall wasn't intended for this use at all we can't really blame it for not working out for this purpose. What we therefore should have is a new "outdoor" impassable terrain which also would look nice in conjunction with the other terrain.

I have way to much terrain on my TODO list already to get to this in the near future, so I'm hoping someone else could have a go at it. I also would like people to suggest how this terrain should look.

My suggestions:
* Step and craggy mountains (these should preferably be in the same style as the new mountains I'm working on meaning I would probably have to do them, which would delay them for a while...)
* Cliff
* Wall

The problem is flying units, not very much would convincingly look like it can't be flown over.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

i would say some sort of wall.. that is in scale with the castle size.. as well as corner towers and ramparts...

i tried to make some of it, but my art abilities are very limited.

But..if you want a wesnoth comic...i will do..
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Really tall spiky mountains --- with clouds around their tops --- and ice all up their sides... you could make them look pretty impassable. Even flying creatures can't fly up forever...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Attila

Re: Request: New unpassable terrain

Post by Attila »

frame wrote:IMy suggestions:
* Step and craggy mountains (these should preferably be in the same style as the new mountains I'm working on meaning I would probably have to do them, which would delay them for a while...)
* Cliff
* Wall

The problem is flying units, not very much would convincingly look like it can't be flown over.
I can see how a really high cliff or really high mountains could block flying units, but a wall that's so high that nothing could fly over it would be kind of huge.
dtw

Post by dtw »

mmm - i've stood atop the great wall of china and that's pretty frikin' big we're talking 100's of times the size of that...
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Attila

Post by Attila »

dibblethewrecker wrote:mmm - i've stood atop the great wall of china and that's pretty frikin' big we're talking 100's of times the size of that...
I guess one of those giantic modern dams might be tall enough...
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

dibblethewrecker wrote:mmm - i've stood atop the great wall of china and that's pretty frikin' big we're talking 100's of times the size of that...
Um there is no way (even with magic) that someone could build a wall 100's of times the size of the great wall.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

For those who are looking to contribute here (as opposed to those of you who just enjoy arguing about the physics of really big walls), please look at Frame's tile tutorial: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5603
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Stigmatix

Post by Stigmatix »

High mountains is the only practicle way I see. Any wall or cliff could easily be flown over. A tall mountain offers jagged tops, cold weather, and less air at higher altitudes. I don't see any ways being as big as a mountain. Its needed anyway because the current mountains are more like really big hills.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Often impassable terrain is used at the borders of a map to make the map a shape other than rectangular, such as hexagonal, or some other shape.

I suggest that since the intent of the scenario author isn't literally to say "this map is surrounded by cave walls", but rather "this delimits the boundary of the scenario, and terrain in these areas is beyond the scope of the scenario, and is irrelevant."

As such, I suggest that we consider filling such areas with an all-black terrain that we can call 'void'. The transition to this type of terrain should simply be a gradual fade-out.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Stigmatix

Post by Stigmatix »

Dave wrote:Often impassable terrain is used at the borders of a map to make the map a shape other than rectangular, such as hexagonal, or some other shape.

I suggest that since the intent of the scenario author isn't literally to say "this map is surrounded by cave walls", but rather "this delimits the boundary of the scenario, and terrain in these areas is beyond the scope of the scenario, and is irrelevant."

As such, I suggest that we consider filling such areas with an all-black terrain that we can call 'void'. The transition to this type of terrain should simply be a gradual fade-out.

David
I thought this was about making unpassable terrain for scenarios? Black would work around the borders, but black void hexagons would be out of place in the middle of the battle field.

I -really- support unpassable mountain terrain. Adds another layer of strategy, and spices the battlefield up without being hard to impliment.
a

Post by a »

tall spiky mountains with storm clouds, rain and lightning. maybe add a village of flying ninja yetis
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I don't know why but the post over me doesn't sound that crazy, in fact, it sound fairly good.

Flying ninja yetis...yeah...
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

No, it really wouldn't work. If a Gryphon has a 1-hex wingspan, then a flying Yeti has a 3-hex wingspan.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Stigmatix wrote: I thought this was about making unpassable terrain for scenarios? Black would work around the borders, but black void hexagons would be out of place in the middle of the battle field.
Sure...but a large subset of the use in scenarios is to create 'borders'. For impassable terrain in the middle of a map, sure, 'high mountains' would work great.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming