Lordbob's commissionned work: UtBS

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Re: Lordbob's commissionned work: UtBS

Post by The_Gnat »

:D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Like always your artwork is very impressive! I will go so far as to say these portraits are stunningly good. :Awesome: I love the clear development through the unit lines and also the similar but at the same time unique look the character Zhul has. They all just look really really good! :D
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

The head of the sun sylph is a little difficult to understand seems to me. Whats the grey circle on her forehead? And her hair seems to be 2 colors- orange and brown
Close-up shot of her head for clarification. I added some decoration to her mask, but it doesn't scale down very well. I will probably remove it in the final portrait, and also change the color of the mask so that it reads better against her dark hair and face.

And speaking of, yes there's more then one color in her hair to make it livelier.
Attachments
desert_elves-sun_sylph.jpg
desert_elves-sun_sylph.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 10512 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

LordBob wrote: April 13th, 2018, 10:52 pm ... At the current pace of art production it's going to be a looooooooooong time before the balance naturally tips towards "no line", same goes for "full body".

Also, full body opens a whole new can of worms where we have to decide how to display them in dialogs and how to mix them with cropped portraits.

What I could do is release the full body portraits for use in story art & story dialogs in between scenarios. We could also request from contributors of new artwork that they provide a full body portrait to be kept for similar uses. But making them the norm for dialogs is probably too much trouble at the moment.

Story art styles are a whole different topic, though.
That is what I meant. Asking for full body drawing for new contributions, so that it can be used for story art and others. Cropping for dialogs is still fine. Maybe we should formulate a text where "less line" art would be encouraged for new things? I would never consider a complete art overhaul.

My preferred cropping guideline would include: Both hands and full animal head (where applicable) in the picture.

In terms of open source a higher resolution download page would be very modern. While it takes bandwidth it would really bring the open source concept a step further.

About the sylph: If the mask is supposed to be symmetrical, than I would be not convinced. Did you do some construction lines for head and mask? Anyway I might be wrong, but if there is something to be fixed, I would assume the earlier the better.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Wussel wrote: April 14th, 2018, 4:20 pm About the sylph: If the mask is supposed to be symmetrical, than I would be not convinced. Did you do some construction lines for head and mask? Anyway I might be wrong, but if there is something to be fixed, I would assume the earlier the better.
It's close enough. Please, let's not badger him. Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

doofus-01 wrote: April 15th, 2018, 5:20 am It's close enough. Please, let's not badger him. Thanks.
Please understand that I only have trust in the master himself to decide if "it" is close enough to a perceived center line.

Here are LordBob's words on the pattern of the mask ("it"?). It looked to me that he was not convinced himself.
LordBob wrote: April 14th, 2018, 8:50 am ...I added some decoration to her mask, but it doesn't scale down very well. I will probably remove it in the final portrait, ...
Which would be a shame IMO because the pattern is awesome. But again I have trust in LordBob to do what is best.
Last edited by Wussel on April 15th, 2018, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Don't mind me, I do appreciate constructive criticism. The symetry is off, it has to do with both the pattern and overall shape of the mask. I will fix it, but doing that properly may take a while and ultimately I favor readability in the target resolution over other considerations. So the pattern might go for the time being.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Everything about the Mystic line seems good to me. Is Zhul still going to get a unique face, though?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

No more than she has at the moment - the differences are subtle, but they're here. I can add a few markings or facial tattoos to further the difference, but with what time is left before 1.14 I'd rather focus on other missing portraits first and not draw a brand new face. That can come later.

In the meantime, a quick portrait for the masked enemy
Attachments
UtBS_Cloaked.jpg
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

That looks great! :D (Is that the portrait for the Nightblade?)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks ! From a portraitist's point of view I know him only as the mysterious "cloaked" enemy (that's how the existing portrait is named), although now you mention it maybe his sprite in game is indeed the Nightblade.

In the meantime Nym is done ; Eloh and Elyssa are coming next.
Attachments
UtBS_nym.jpg
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The only thing about Nym that I think would warrant further iteration (perhaps later, if not immediately) would be the personality (that is, mostly the face, I guess). Of the elf characters, she's basically the only one who isn't serious and gloomy all the time; instead, she's the one somewhat carefree, positive and playful free spirit. So I think it would be good if she'd appear a bit more open and affable, and a bit less reserved and mysterious (which is probably mostly due to the eyebrows and tight-lipped ambiguous smile). Making her features less sharp might help too, but I'm not sure how much work that would be.

The clothing and especially the unique headgear are really good.

And the cloaked figure's good, too.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I second zookeeper here. Might be nice to have her expression just a *tad* more carefree-looking.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Ironically, I did the exact opposite ; started with a fuller face and cheerful smile, then thought that might be too carefree for some situations and edited to the current state ^^;

I'll do that fix.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

Awesome work as usual, thanks for your hard work! :D
I just have a tiny nitpick and maybe I'm the only one who sees it this way but... the shadow below Nym's lower lip kind of looks like a soul patch. I get that that's how shadows work, but I think it's a bit too pronounced. Just making it slightly lighter or thinner would do the trick.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Also, work in progress for Eloh.
I've been wondering, when and for what dialogs is her "angry" variant used? I'm tempted to make it creepy with hints of borderline cyborg, but we don't want to spoil the player if it shows up too early in the campaign.

And yes, I noticed Nym's lower lip shadow does look strange indeed. Thanks for pointing it out.
Attachments
UtBS_eloh.jpg