Goblin Rouser

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

..and defending

(Attack animations are on the previous page)
Attachments
goblin-rouser-defend.png
goblin-rouser-defend.png (3.51 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Last edited by Breeblebox on December 9th, 2004, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Looks great
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

the second attack animation looks wierd... when stabbing like that, i'm pretty sure the flag would never go to the bottom, it would sort of wrap around the spear. then when he pulls back the spear, it would flare forward.

And right now its pretty obvious you used copy/paste to move the flags in the attack animations. thats one of the reasons they look fake. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

hmm, the flag wouldn't fall beneath the spear when held horizontal? Gravity + cloth = fall. Perhaps I didn't make them clear enough, attack1 frame is simply moving the spear to the 'attack' position, this is why the flag streams along behind it, the attack2 frame is the stab, at which point the flag has obeyed gravity (fallen beneath the spear), and trails behind the motion of the stab. Maybe I should add a third frame to transition more clearly back to the upright position?

Of course the problem could be simpler than that, I can't draw very well, despite a very clear image of what I want in my head. Anyone want the .xcf files to give me a hand?

Don't get me wrong Turin, I definitely appreciate the feedback =]
Distro | Browser
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

when you stab, the force of the spear moving forward surpasses that of gravity. that, plus wind, tends to make the flag basically wrap around the spear, and not fall to the ground. it falls to the ground AFTER he has stopped the forward motion of the spear. hope that makes sense. ;)

your attack2 would be GREAT for the frame after he starts withdrawing his spear, though.

[edit]
ok, i downloaded one of the images. ;)

what suprised me most is how transparent it is... that amount of transparency will probably make it take on the color of the terrain it is in. i didn't notice before because the forum has a white background.

so yeah, give me the .xcf and i'll see if i can show what i mean.
[/edit]
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Here ya go...
Attachments
goblin_rouser_xcf.zip
(42.42 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
Distro | Browser
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

thanks... i'll see what i can do.

do you mind if i make the files opaque? it will make them fit in better in wesnoth.
The World of Orbivm
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

no problem, I think the only transparent parts should be shadows and aliasing although I could have painted a few parts with the opacity too low.
Distro | Browser
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

here's the basic idea of what i mean. I only spent about 5 minutes on it, though, since i have to go to sleep now. :)
The World of Orbivm
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

turin wrote:here's the basic idea of what i mean. I only spent about 5 minutes on it, though, since i have to go to sleep now. :)
I thought the artwork on the goblin rouser was going really well. When you have time, turin, I'd love to see a more polished version of the attack frame.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

quartex wrote:
turin wrote:here's the basic idea of what i mean. I only spent about 5 minutes on it, though, since i have to go to sleep now. :)
I thought the artwork on the goblin rouser was going really well. When you have time, turin, I'd love to see a more polished version of the attack frame.
I will indeed attempt that. Probably this afternoon, or on saturday...
The World of Orbivm
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Yo Turin, any chance of getting that frame you mocked up as an .xcf, I'm quite keen to get this guy polished off. This second attack frame plus the leadership animation should about do it.

BTW: I may have asked this before, but can leadership have more than one frame?
Distro | Browser
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Breeblebox wrote:BTW: I may have asked this before, but can leadership have more than one frame?
Not currently possible.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Breeblebox wrote:Yo Turin, any chance of getting that frame you mocked up as an .xcf, I'm quite keen to get this guy polished off. This second attack frame plus the leadership animation should about do it.

BTW: I may have asked this before, but can leadership have more than one frame?
I... um... appear to have deleted it. Sorry... hopefully you can understand what i was trying to do and make your own edit.
The World of Orbivm
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

OK, finally I got around to doing the last frame. Here is a look at all the frames side by side, and a zip of the pngs/ cfg

I went with Turin's attack2 frame. Suggestions, queries, comments or theories?
Attachments
goblin_rouser.zip
(19.18 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
rouser_preview.png
rouser_preview.png (13.56 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
Distro | Browser