rhyging5 animation comission - trolls

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Re: rhyging5 animation comission - trolls

Post by Jetrel »

Yeah - please stick with sleepwalkers latest edits, and just proceed to animation.

This is looking good now.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

......thks for the Sw improvements, very useful. I begin for the Running SE, have 10 frames, the same as Sw style. Tried to do a bit crouched pose. Time to feedbacks.
Attachments
troll_running_SE.gif
troll_running_SE.gif (5.5 KiB) Viewed 16624 times
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

It looks very nice, but here's some thoughts:

I don't think running in an upright position is OK. In the lore the whelp can't walk properly and shambles around on all fours... Running I imagine is harder than walking. A monkey kind of run would suit more... I couldn't find a better reference than this in a short time.

If Jet or TSI overrule and say it is fine, or if you intend to adapt the animation to lvl 2 and 3 then here's some other points:

His right shoulder could move more forward during the arms swing forward.

His left arm is a little snappy on the forward movement.

Did you intentionally leave out the tusks?

It looks more like a fast walk than a run because the foot movement lacks "step-off" shooting the body up and forward a little and it's also lacking some momentum (That is, the legs should spend more time in their out-most positions before the foot hits the ground again.)
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I concur. Something akin to this would be good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJKpqb8ElFQ

It standing up to run just doesn't work.

Keep the basic motion to hand, though, it'll work nicely for the higher levels.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:doh: Yeah, I concur with TSI and Sleepwalker; the lore has him shambling like an ape. The L1 can't walk upright - the others should, but not the L0.

:augh: Man I wish we could have caught this before you suddenly popped out a finished animation, but at least what you've made should be easy to frankenstein into a higher-level troll, since (besides being taller) they look so similar, bodily.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

No problem to fix that :wink:

well, a gorilla walking have some varieties, some times it use his arms as a legs like a horse, some times it do a little jumps, some times he only uses its legs....so I suggest this two options:

one more like a jump and other more quite style. Personally i think is better the non jump style, but anyway I would to know your opinion.
Sleepwalker wrote: Did you intentionally leave out the tusks?
yeah, i thought that is more adequate for advanced status like hero or chaman.
Attachments
ape_style2.gif
ape_style2.gif (1.3 KiB) Viewed 16403 times
ape_style1.gif
ape_style1.gif (2.28 KiB) Viewed 16403 times
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

The units move fast across the battlefield, so I'd go with style2. I'm afraid style1 might look like he glides or if played fast it might be too jittery.
rhyging5 wrote:yeah, i thought that is more adequate for advanced status like hero or chaman.
Fair enough for the whelp. Past lvl1 all the portraits are depicted with pretty much the same-size tusks... But you don't have to be true to the portraits if you don't want to.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Style 2 makes more sense due to the speed, as sleepwalker said.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

ok, this is the layout, need aproval to work on texture.....
Attachments
layout.gif
layout.gif (7.23 KiB) Viewed 16191 times
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Looks good. :) You seem to have followed the sideways stick animation to the letter, though now from this perspective it brings up some observations:

It looks like he stops up a bit when landing with the feet, which makes the movement look jerky to me. I would take some of the animation time spent touching the ground and put it more into air time, I think. I'm unsure about it without experimenting myself.

For consistency you should make the shadow roughly (but without noise) follow the body shape.

Fixing that along with smoothing out limb movement like his right arm would make it good to continue with. At first I had an impression that the view angle was a bit low, but the more I look at it the less it seems that way.
- Nercy Masayon
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Now I am not an artist, so please just disregard my comment if you feel that way. To me, however, it feels as if the troll's skin was too shiny.
As trolls are very rock- and earth-bound as per their race description, I'd think he should be more dirty and not this glossy.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Crend: probably not too important, and not worth fussing about, but nonetheless a good point perhaps: maybe the brightest tone could stand to come down a few shades.

Animation looks excellent, subject to a little speeding up of the frames where the feet are on the floor.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Amorphous wrote:Hi,

Sorry to be a bother, but I've been watching the troll updates in art dev progress, and I was reminded of this piece from Pixeljoint. I thought it might be useful to rhyging as reference for gorilla-type runs. If you passed it along to him, I'd be much obliged. :)

Thanks,

Amorphous