Sleepwalker Animation Commissions WIP - Dwarves

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Re: Saurian Animation Commission WIP

Post by Jetrel »

Huzzah! Looks good. :D
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Some additional Ambusher anims. EDIT: Forgot to say that the last frame of the south attack uses the same as the last of the SE attack.

aaaaaannnn...
Attachments
AmbusherThrowSE.rar
(35.85 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
AmbusherAttackS.rar
(32.16 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
ambusher-se-throw.gif
ambusher-se-throw.gif (4.82 KiB) Viewed 9519 times
ambusher-attack-s.gif
ambusher-attack-s.gif (5.1 KiB) Viewed 9519 times
Last edited by Sleepwalker on July 3rd, 2010, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

...nnnnnd a possible flanker bob animation.

Now there's one thing I'm a little puzzled by and that is the giant gold-rimmed medallion codpiece thing hanging under his chest, or that's what I assume it is - hanging. That's the way I animated it, question is if that's correct... Now I get to wonder why a high level saurian wears this thing, they sure value their family jewels. Hey maybe it's a symbol of power thing, now someone needs to make some terrain graphics with enormous phallic symbol monuments for the saurians to worship. :wink:

Seriously though I guess It's just some piece of ornate armor, but sitting slightly loosely to not restrict movement too much?

EDIT: Whipped up toss while I'm at it.
Attachments
FlankerThrowSE.rar
(36.67 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
flanker-se-throw.gif
flanker-se-throw.gif (5.55 KiB) Viewed 9471 times
flanker-bob-se.gif
flanker-bob-se.gif (4.68 KiB) Viewed 9515 times
FlankerBobSE.rar
(30.14 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think the toss needs one more recovery frame. There is a snap at the end, and it's not just the spear. His shield and body position also change abruptly. (BTW, I'm amazed at how fast you are!)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It looks a touch odd to me to have him throwing with one arm and stepping with the opposite arm. But oddly I think it works - it enhances their non-human-ness.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

The lower part of the spear is missing from the flanker bob animation, i doubt he'd hold it at he exact base of the spear.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sleepwalker wrote:...nnnnnd a possible flanker bob animation.

Now there's one thing I'm a little puzzled by and that is the giant gold-rimmed medallion codpiece thing hanging under his chest, or that's what I assume it is - hanging. That's the way I animated it, question is if that's correct... Now I get to wonder why a high level saurian wears this thing, they sure value their family jewels. Hey maybe it's a symbol of power thing, now someone needs to make some terrain graphics with enormous phallic symbol monuments for the saurians to worship. :wink:
:augh: It's cloth with a gold-thread embroidered rim. It's not some solid block of armor.

Given where it hangs down, too, it probably starts up around mid-chest level, and then hangs down from there.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

beetlenaut wrote:I think the toss needs one more recovery frame. There is a snap at the end, and it's not just the spear. His shield and body position also change abruptly. (BTW, I'm amazed at how fast you are!)
Thanks, though a lot of these last ones have just been edits. Once the ambusher throw was done you just need to add the armor changes and slight height increase on the stalker... you probably wouldn't say I'm fast if you knew how much time I've spent on this now... As for your feedback, I did some minor changes to the last two frames rather than adding another one. It's better now, good enough I think.

thespaceinvader wrote:It looks a touch odd to me to have him throwing with one arm and stepping with the opposite arm. But oddly I think it works - it enhances their non-human-ness.
Huh, that's the way that felt most natural when trying the motion out IRL... but then It's a bit exaggerated here.

Neoskel wrote:The lower part of the spear is missing from the flanker bob animation, i doubt he'd hold it at he exact base of the spear.
Makes sense, I just followed the baseframe without caring too much about that, though if you're irked by it it's an easy fix.

Jetrel wrote: :augh: It's cloth with a gold-thread embroidered rim. It's not some solid block of armor.

Given where it hangs down, too, it probably starts up around mid-chest level, and then hangs down from there.
:) Aw OK then, tweaked animation for more clothy feeling.

Thanks for the feedback. Fixes and some new stuff coming up.
Attachments
flanker-bob-ne.gif
flanker-bob-ne.gif (4.09 KiB) Viewed 9153 times
flanker-bob-se2.gif
flanker-bob-se2.gif (4.71 KiB) Viewed 9153 times
augur-ne-run.gif
augur-ne-run.gif (4.88 KiB) Viewed 9153 times
flanker-se-throw2.gif
flanker-se-throw2.gif (5.53 KiB) Viewed 9153 times
ambusher-se-throw2.gif
ambusher-se-throw2.gif (4.81 KiB) Viewed 9153 times
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Archives
Attachments
FlankerThrowSE.rar
(36.62 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
FlankerBob.rar
(59.32 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
AugurRunNE.rar
(50.06 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
AmbusherThrowSE.rar
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
- Nercy Masayon
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

In the flanker's base frame, the bottom half of the spear is behind his leg. (You can see the bottom half in the ambusher base frame.) The bob animation should show him holding the spear in the middle. The throwing animation does (as it should), but that means that his spear suddenly gets longer when he prepares to throw.
The throw recovery looks better now.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Hmm right, well I'll fix the ambusher tomorrow then, here's the flankers bob in the meantime.

All throw animations done, yay. Just a gazillion of other frames to go.
Attachments
FlankerBobAndThrow.rar
(71.22 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
AmbusherThrowNE.rar
(40.12 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
flanker-bob-se3.gif
flanker-bob-se3.gif (4.71 KiB) Viewed 8956 times
flanker-ne-throw.gif
flanker-ne-throw.gif (5.76 KiB) Viewed 8956 times
ambusher-ne-throw.gif
ambusher-ne-throw.gif (5.16 KiB) Viewed 8956 times
- Nercy Masayon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

That other tweak I promised. Since I used a different method (opening the gif in Imageready CS2, rather than opening individual PNGs in Photoshop, since *#&@ photoshop can't read gif animations), this one shouldn't have the issues the previous one had. I was able to actually edit it "as an animation" (and play the animation to see-and-correct such twitches), rather than trying to just eyeball them on different frames).

I normally use the photoshop animation support in my own work, I just hadn't on that previous edit.

(Note: the only change was to pull the spearhead + hand towards center)

If this is good by you, I suppose I'll start mass-committing these. :D
Attachments
skirmrunSEtweak.gif
skirmrunSEtweak.gif (6.56 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Ah, yeah I had kind of the same hassle when I tweaked your edit of the NE running ones. As I don't have Imageready I had to use another method. PS CS4 has an option to open files as an image sequence, so that's what I did with the png's you supplied. I don't know if CS2 has that option. Anyway it didn't open the images on their own layers but you were able to edit each frame separately, then I just saved the frames I edited as new png's.

... :annoyed: We shouldn't have to do that crap, just ask if you wanna edit something and I'll send the psd files. At this scale they take very little hd space anyway.

The skirmisher looks good (could you post the png's? I'd like to use the animation as a base for the spellcasters run) - Commit away. :)

More stuff.
vv
Attachments
AugurDie.rar
(33.91 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
AmbusherBobSE.rar
(29.24 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
augur-die.gif
augur-die.gif (2.8 KiB) Viewed 8733 times
augur-die-NE.gif
augur-die-NE.gif (2.66 KiB) Viewed 8733 times
ambusher-bob-se2.gif
ambusher-bob-se2.gif (3.94 KiB) Viewed 8733 times
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

You said before that the head could use some tweaking. Well I did some small changes giving him a smaller jaw mainly.
Attachments
skirmisher-die-se3.gif
skirmisher-die-se3.gif (2.8 KiB) Viewed 8731 times
SkirmisherDieSE.rar
(17.21 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
- Nercy Masayon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sleepwalker wrote:The skirmisher looks good (could you post the png's? I'd like to use the animation as a base for the spellcasters run) - Commit away. :)
Rather than making you wait a day, this is all I have, right now:

I'll post proper PNGs when I make them for committing.
Attachments
skirmrunSE.psd.zip
(27.58 KiB) Downloaded 464 times